a Man of Few Lights

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I'm guessing I'm in the extreme minority here as I am a flashlight enthusiast but have NEVER felt the need to own more than 5 or 6 lights. I tend to gravitate toward mid-high quality lights. You might say I have caviar taste on a tuna-fish budget. I also prefer USA made stuff whenever possible. So this generally spells Malkoff....or Surefire and little else. I love to look at all the Oveready stuff and the custom maker lights...but will probably never manage to afford spending $300.00+ on a single light. Been pretty disillusioned with Surefire the last few years as they only make a couple of models that will use 18650 and their single CR123 models are few and overly large IMHO. I like tactical style lights in that I am accustomed to activating a light from a butt switch and I feel like the standard forward McClicky is the pinnacle of UI for me. I conceal carry a handgun and for me that mandates an EDC light as well. Although honestly I feel like EVERYONE should have a small light with them whenever they leave the house.

Basically I have owned a LOT of lights over the years but I tend to give away or sell/trade some to be replaced by models I perceive to be better for the following roles:

1) EDC - pocket carry -left front pocket with a clip (was an Malkoff MD2 for the last several years but I now have a Malkoff MDC on order)
2) Night-stand light - at my bedside -for me this should be a light with a low mode but also an extreme high mode. This is a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 currently. I have the head turned a bit for the nice 30 lumen low and as needed I tighten for 800 lumens (900 momentary)
3) Night-stand light - this is the opposite bed side for the wife.
4) Desk Utility Light - this I keep on my desk in the bedroom. It needs to be fairly low output for general night usage in and around the desk when I don't want to wake the wife. Right now this is a cheap plastic Craftsman branded 2 AA light that was gifted to me by my in-laws. It's OK for the role but eventually I will probably replace it with a Malkoff of some sort.
5) House and Outside Investigator - this is a light I keep on the kitchen table (we have an open-concept living-room/kitchen). This is the go to light when we are watching TV at night or something and need to investigate a sound outside or in the garage. We live in a rural area on 55 acres...most of it farmed so I like a light that can really throw for this purpose. Hound Dog 18650 wins for this.

Of course there is much cross over for these various jobs. I just can't see any reason to own or need much more than 5 or 6 REALLY GOOD lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm guessing I'm in the extreme minority here as I am a flashlight enthusiast but have NEVER felt the need to own more than 5 or 6 lights
Of course there is much cross over for these various jobs. I just can't see any reason to own or need much more than 5 or 6 REALLY GOOD lights.

Yes, that probably is rather less than the average CPF'r ... but probably 5 or 6 more than the average non-CPF'r :grin2:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too have began to realize that too many flashlights is just that... too many. i think more than anything its became an annoyance to me maintaining batteries and whatnot since i made the switch from primarily using primaries to rechargables. when its all said and done, i still EDC the same light i started EDCing over 4 years ago (a 18350 Prometheus); i still grab the same "yard inspecting" flashlight i grabbed over 4 years ago (surefire M6LT)... and so on and so forth.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that low quantity / high quality is the way to go. I recently sold quite a few lights and I'll probably sell more now that I have my ideal system figured out. Never been much of a collector. I find that I don't enjoy owning something if it doesn't serve a purpose.

1. Primary pocket carry - HDS Rotary 200 high CRI. This one is in my pocket every day and does everything I need a flashlight to do.
2. Backup pocket carry - Zebralight SC52w. Lives in my backpack in case anything happens to the HDS or I need to run AA.
3. High output / long runtime - Solarforce L2P with PFlexPro advanced program XP-L HI P60. If I know I'll be using a light a lot or long distances I grab this one.
4. Camping headlamp - Zebralight H600Fc III. Great camping light for doing tasks after dark.
5. Nightstand / Camping / general use - Malkoff MD2 hi/lo M61NL. Nice simple light with good beam.
6. Long distance spotting - V54 Olight M23vn. Ok, this one is just for fun.
7. Simple operation loaner - Foursevens CR123 Quark. The old style with simple 2 mode twist and clicky switch. I wouldn't be heartbroken if someone lost it, so I'm not afraid to loan it out.

Almost everything else either has been sold/given away or will be. There are a few that serve no purpose but I will keep for sentimental reasons.

Last edited:

Beckler

Enlightened
One reason to own more is it's good to have several on standby depending on your activity (one in car, bike, work, etc.) You can't be juggling one light for everything. :D Another reason: headlamps. Once you have used one you won't go back.

terjee

Enlightened
I'm also with the low quantity, high quality crowed. Seems to me that most are, it's mostly just variations on how that's achieved. Some sell, some gift, some retire them to their museums. :p

Five or six flashlights, and some other specialized light sources (headlamps, lanterns...) seems both somewhat typical, and somewhat ideal.

I haven't been selling, but things trickle down. Some are retired from our use into the "borrowable lights" category, some are gifted, and so on.

It's also a good way to regulate buying, at least for me. Getting a new light should have a driving point to it, and if so, it'll likely retire another light that was saving the same purpose, which can then be passed on, borrowed out, given to family or whatever.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no prejudice against collecting a large number of lights, but as time goes on I find that there are fewer and fewer lights that hold my interest. This is the real limiting factor for me.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goal with anything is to find what I really want\need and settle down with it. Criteria is almost always the same in that I look for simple, reliable, and well built. For watches that means I settled on the classic G Shock DW 5600e, pocket knives I'm down to a couple swiss army knives and a Kabar Dozier, and flashlights I seem to be settling down with my E01s and Malkoff AA MDC lights. I don't like having a lot of excess stuff sitting around that isn't getting used, so I gift or sell as often as I need to.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing I'm in the extreme minority here as I am a flashlight enthusiast but have NEVER felt the need to own more than 5 or 6 lights......Basically I have owned a LOT of lights over the years but I tend to give away or sell/trade some to be replaced by models I perceive to be better
That's me. I tend to get rid of stuff as something I like better comes along. I just can't seem to get below a dozen or so lights though. It's fun to see the list of lights folks use and for what purpose.

elzilcho

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. With very few exceptions, I can't stand having tools around that aren't used regularly, or that at least have a specific use important enough to earn their keep.

EDC light plus a beater/backup light for the same function. This is also my nightstand light.
Dedicated backyard light for dog potty trips. Multiple levels, one of which is bright enough to flood the entire yard, check for downed tree limbs, see what that noise was, etc.
One thrower in case I really need to see something a long way away. Its use is infrequent but when you need it, nothing else does the job.
A couple of 1xAAA lights for puttering around the house when I don't want to carry something larger.
One very small, bright light for travel.
Add one flashlight for each vehicle, plus one light for each get-home bag.

That's it. Everything is used, or is set aside for emergency use. I'm anti-safe queen. I actually wound up with several additional lights after trying things out for various roles, and those will be going down the road before long.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Only recently did I decide to simply clean house in various aspects of my hoarded collection of useless things. Only a few torches got cut, most of them stayed. They're so small and portable, that I can always find a use for them. In addition, I like to have one in almost every room. I don't have any bombastic pieces, so there's really nothing that entirely useless in my collection, to me, or perhaps I'm simply justifying that to myself since I'm an torchaholic. :)

Edit: Oh, I only have about 12-13 lights off the top of my head. So, I'm not that bad.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I distinguish between lights that I'm attached to vs one's that I'd hand off at a moment's notice to someone that needed one, I'm right there with you.
Then there's lights to try out before most likely giving away, and components that add up to additional lights, for messing with...

If the one's I really like didn't have spares, my count would be pretty pedestrian.

For just me and just getting most things done, I could whittle them down to a Zebralight H600w, and a spare H600w, and two pocket clips.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I think it's fun to expand the collection, I will say that I don't like having to maintain a stockpile of lithium ion cells. I try to avoid charging above 4.1 and discharging below 3.7 and that is enough work. Beyond that I keep separate Pelican cases for cells in long term storage (~3.7v) and cells ready for use (~4.1). In each category, I've got some protected and some unprotected cells. Of course, cells that are used in pairs are mated for life, always being charged and discharged together.

All the usual rules, I suppose. It just seems that li-on cells, when in numbers, are like needy kids.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are like Bob Marley, and lithium Ion are like Axl Rose. I'm more of a Bob Marley kind of guy.

QUOTE=Modernflame;5142050]While I think it's fun to expand the collection, I will say that I don't like having to maintain a stockpile of lithium ion cells. I try to avoid charging above 4.1 and discharging below 3.7 and that is enough work. Beyond that I keep separate Pelican cases for cells in long term storage (~3.7v) and cells ready for use (~4.1). In each category, I've got some protected and some unprotected cells. Of course, cells that are used in pairs are mated for life, always being charged and discharged together.

All the usual rules, I suppose. It just seems that li-on cells, when in numbers, are like needy kids.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
All that matters to me is the gear on hand when needed. Tonight did a 15 miles dirt road white knuckle bike ride. Wore an AT Wizard standard CW headlamp and had a Malkoff MD1 M31 in the UL pack. I have lots of gear like multiple knives and lights as always looking for something new.

edit to add Malkoff drop-in infor=.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
I have about 4 lights in use. AA headlamp, AAA keychain, AA EDC and 18650 thrower, and a back up of each in sealed storage. (Also getting a few EDC to hand out as christmas presents) . I don't like collecting stuff, I try and find the 'Ak-47' for all my gear, this includes my hiking and work gear. That being not necessarily the coolest, not the smoothest or the most deadly, but something that ends up being timeless and cost effective.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never collected anything. Well, except for stamps when I was 6 and it lasted a week.
I have tried keeping a pristine light in a drawer but it doesn't work for me, I have to use them.
All my lights have a purpose and get used all the time.
I use OR, Malkoff and HDS and none are Shelf Queens. I admit my Hound Dogs only get used in the Winter, then they get REALY used.

EDC: HDS 170N Clickie and Malkoff MD2, Triad Tail and DD XM-L2 Drop in

Bedside: MD2 Luminous Triad Tail M61 NIchia HiLO switch.

Back Door: Malkoff V5 Wildcat Luminous Triad Tail

Front Door: SF P2X DD XM-L2.

Brewery: Malkoff 16650 MDC Single Mode. 2x 18650 Malkoff Hound Dog Triad tails 1 x XM-L2 Hound Dog RPM Tail for walking over the fields at night.

Sound Desk: Malkoff Cr123 MDC Nichia 3 mode.

I'm just waiting for my OR Nichia Triple to arrive and fit in an MD2 then find a purpose for it.

I don't think I need any more, although another HDS 4000K would fit in nicely.
P
GREAT THREAD!

Last edited: