Tenergy Centura LSD AA's fooled 3 chargers

IonicBond

Enlightened
Never saw this before:

Ordered a 4 pack of Tenergy Centura AA LSD cells. Then of course found a stash of 8 of them new in packs in the garage. :)

Just charge and go right? Nope - they *NEED* a break-in or some very careful cycling first.

Popped them into my chargers - Maha MH-C401fs, Maha MH-C9000, and Accupower IQ338xl.

All of the chargers got fooled - the cells just reached 1.40v and sat there getting HOT with a 1000ma charge. After about 3000mah of charge, and no voltage rise or end of charge triggers at all, I pulled them. Surprised - thought that one of the backups other than an overall timeout would trigger, but no.

One set I put on the '9000 for a full break-in. They now act normally and trigger end of charge like you would expect on subsequent cycling.

The others where I just did manual cycling of 500ma discharge and 1000ma charge with a manual pull due to no end of charge trigger, took about 3 cycles of this to start acting normally - and charging much cooler.

Moral - treat your Tenergy Centura lsd's to a break-in first. Didn't think that they needed this, but I guess they do! Working ok now...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by break in? Specific setting on your NiMh charger? Or just charging them for a while and pulling them manually after a certain amount of time?

apagogeas

Enlightened
Break-in is a specific function of Maha MC-C9000, it performs a 16 hours charge at 0.1C, effectively put in the battery 1.6 times its capacity. This supposedly helps to saturate the electrolyte and rejuvenate the battery and also measure the capacity of the cell more accurately as it is close to the official standard I think. There are many posts in CPF about this feature if you want to read more.