Charger advice

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I have been looking at either the Xtar VP2 or the Opus bt-c3100. The Opus was brought to my attention in another thread. I have a couple protected 18650's and a couple non-protected cells - They are brand new cells. Is there any reason for me to get an analyzing charger? I may use rechargeable AA's in the future for some lights and some of my kids toys. Any reason to get one charger over the other?

Thanks for the help and opinions.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi All,

I have been looking at either the Xtar VP2 or the Opus bt-c3100. The Opus was brought to my attention in another thread. I have a couple protected 18650's and a couple non-protected cells - They are brand new cells. Is there any reason for me to get an analyzing charger? I may use rechargeable AA's in the future for some lights and some of my kids toys. Any reason to get one charger over the other?

Thanks for the help and opinions.

I use both these chargers after several years of use. Both are good chargers, the vp2 allows easy access to the 3.2/3.6/3.8v(4.35v) settings. The opus does have a switch, but its behind the underneath part of the case(req a hole to access easily). Dont know why................

The opus bt c3100 is a better choice for you, simply because it can charge nimh chemistry(the vp2 can not!). The opus also has more charging levels to choose, from 0.2a up to 2a on bays 1+4. Both have a useful voltage readout, of course the opus has an extra 2 bays which is useful to have.

mcease022

Newly Enlightened
I use both these chargers after several years of use. Both are good chargers, the vp2 allows easy access to the 3.2/3.6/3.8v(4.35v) settings. The opus does have a switch, but its behind the underneath part of the case(req a hole to access easily). Dont know why................

The opus bt c3100 is a better choice for you, simply because it can charge nimh chemistry(the vp2 can not!). The opus also has more charging levels to choose, from 0.2a up to 2a on bays 1+4. Both have a useful voltage readout, of course the opus has an extra 2 bays which is useful to have.

Thank you for the reply. I ended up settling on the bt c3100. Now I just have to learn to use it :)

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you for the reply. I ended up settling on the bt c3100. Now I just have to learn to use it :)

Its my most used charger by far, used daily,weekly, yearly! Luckily its pretty easy to get use to. You should like it, even today i am keep pondering for a newer charger and for the money nothing beats it for my uses. The dragon is more expensive, but not as flexible for me. The Opus has 0.2/0.3/0.5/0.7/1a/1.5a/2a options, so most of my cells are catered for. Voltage readout which is a must for me, easy for me to keep an eye on cell voltage without breaking out the multi meter constantly. The sky mc3000 is a more advanced charger, although i dont need all the modes, some of the options look very useful.

Keitho

Enlightened
Same here, use my c3100 2.2 daily. Use is pretty simple after the first few minutes. I only use 2 of the 4 buttons: "mode" to change from charge to another mode, and "current" to select charge current. Be ready to hit those buttons pretty quick after you load a cell--after a few seconds, it proceeds with whatever mode was used last in that bay, at .5A.

I like that if you load multiple cells pretty quick, you can change mode and current for all of them at once.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, use my c3100 2.2 daily. Use is pretty simple after the first few minutes. I only use 2 of the 4 buttons: "mode" to change from charge to another mode, and "current" to select charge current. Be ready to hit those buttons pretty quick after you load a cell--after a few seconds, it proceeds with whatever mode was used last in that bay, at .5A.

I like that if you load multiple cells pretty quick, you can change mode and current for all of them at once.

Even if you load the 4 bays slowly and some slots has started a procedure, pressing the Display button until the 4 slots are blinking together can bring you to change mode, charging/discharging rates on all slots at the same time.

chinee4444

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and want to get advice on SLA battery chargers, hope I posted in the correct forum! Thanks!

Choccy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm also looking at the C3100. I currently have a Maha C9000 but want another charger that can also handle Lion. I charger most of my AA/AAA at 200mah or 500mah if I'm in a rush. I also use a few D cells that I slow charge too. Would the C3100 be suitable for me. Or should I look at the SKYRC MC3000, or would this be overkill.

Many thanks in advance.

Choccy...

ven

Flashaholic
My AAA loops get 0.7a and my AA loops get 1a or even 1.5a some times. As said, you can have from 0.2a with the opus. Pretty flexible charger for the money, not singing and dancing.....just singing(via the fan)