Alternative to AW IMR 16340?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Hi All,

Doing my homework, it seemed to me the "best" way to go for rechargeable batteries in a CR123-form-factor was IMR chemistry, and particularly AW's IMR 16340. But my source for those, Oveready, is now out of stock (I got the last five they had) and informs me "AW lost their factory."

So, lacking the ability to get more AW IMR 16340s, what would be the next best manufacturer to look to for IMR 16340 cells? (Yes, I know that, whatever the source: I cannot mix them.)

OLight's cells are rated pretty highly on Amazon, but some comments suggest they'll only work in Olight's S1R flashlight?

Only other name I've found that doesn't include "fire" as part of its name is Efest, and it has flames as part of its logo. I distrust batteries that have "fire" as part of their name or use fire/flames in their packaging. Plus it seems Efest are widely counterfeited, so it can be hard to know if you're getting the Real Deal?

I've more flashlights and other stuff that uses CR123 batteries than ever. Eneloops and other NiMH have worked well in eliminating my need to alkaleaks, so I want to test rechargeable CR123-form-factor batteries to see if I can't reduce having to buy an endless supply of CR123s, too. Mainly I'll be using these in LED and incan (Surefire) flashlights, and a couple of wireless security cameras that will be exposed to SE Michigan winter temperatures. Some of the flashlights use 2-3 batteries, and the cameras use four.

For chargers, I have an Intellicharger i2 and an XTAR Dragon.

Thanks, in advance, for any pointers.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
You can always compare 16340 cells here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php
You can find some that are better than AW (Like Windyfire)
Thanks for the pointer, HKJ.

That test (and thanks for those, btw!) was nearly two years ago. I wonder do you have any idea of users' experiences with Windyfire cells, particularly their IMR16340, in the two years since? As Chris Garret noted in the original CPF review thread: " If this WindyFire can last more than 20-30 cycles, or a couple/few years, then it would be a worthy competitor to the AW."

There's the rub: AW is a trusted brand. Conversely: The Efest batteries (I'm not picking on them, just what I noticed in research) have been reported to be somewhat inconsistent? (Maybe that was a result of receiving counterfeits?)

Of the 16340s, the only other one that was obviously IMR chemistry was the Kinoko IMR16340 700mAh. Another name of which I've never heard before.

Looks like the Olight 16340 you reviewed was not their IMR cell.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
That test (and thanks for those, btw!) was nearly two years ago. I wonder do you have any idea of users' experiences with Windyfire cells, particularly their IMR16340, in the two years since? As Chris Garret noted in the original CPF review thread: " If this WindyFire can last more than 20-30 cycles, or a couple/few years, then it would be a worthy competitor to the AW."

No, I do not use that many batteries myself (I publish a new review every 4 day and have been doing that for a couple of years), this means your best options for user feedback is to look in the review thread. Sometimes there is good feedback, sometimes not.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like AWT as an alternative to AW 16340's. Windyfire has been good in 14500, I don't doubt it would not be reliable in 16340 as well.

ven

Flashaholic
I like AWT as an alternative to AW 16340's. Windyfire has been good in 14500, I don't doubt it would not be reliable in 16340 as well.

+1

What i have been using for a while now, no loss at termination voltage and no voltage drop(out of the norm type). To expand, when charged to 4.18-4.2v, the voltage does not drop after a week of storing by any noticeable amount. Some cells over time can loose a few 0.01'sv and end up being 4.15v with age, so far the AWT 16340 cells have maintained 4.18v when checked.

On mtn elec site, the windyfire have good feedback, Richard also stocks the efest 16340's which i also have been using for years(no issue so far!)
So either would be a good choice from mtn elec or he simply would not stock them. At IMR batteries, they have the AWT in stock for $4 ea, so there are 3 16340 options to go at. There's not much choice in 16340 fuel(not as developed as its big brother 18650). I would have thought the 700mah cells are pretty much the same under the label.................no proof of course, just my thoughts.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
No, I do not use that many batteries myself (I publish a new review every 4 day and have been doing that for a couple of years), this means your best options for user feedback is to look in the review thread. Sometimes there is good feedback, sometimes not.
Thanks, HKJ!

Maybe you'd consider doing a review of the Olight 550mAh IMR 16340? They get good reviews on Amazon.

Where do you get your AWT IMR 16340s? I've searched, but don't see anybody I recognize.

+1
What i have been using for a while now, no loss at termination voltage and no voltage drop(out of the norm type). To expand, when charged to 4.18-4.2v, the voltage does not drop after a week of storing by any noticeable amount. Some cells over time can loose a few 0.01'sv and end up being 4.15v with age, so far the AWT 16340 cells have maintained 4.18v when checked.
Thanks for the additional feedback on the AWT cells.

On mtn elec site, the windyfire have good feedback, Richard also stocks the efest 16340's which i also have been using for years(no issue so far!)
So either would be a good choice from mtn elec or he simply would not stock them.
Perhaps so, but, as I wrote, earlier: I have an innate distrust of any battery they has "fire" in its name or as part of its logo.

Looks up the cells under HKJ's reviews.
Right now the best capacity cells top 700mAh: the Klarus and Fenix.
Those are not IMR chemistry.

I don't want unprotected Li-Ion, as there will be three-four of these in series in some applications. I do not care for protected cells. Complexity leads to increased possibility of failure. Thus I'm sticking to IMR technology.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

Btw: In the meantime, Oveready put their "reserve stock" of ten cells up. I bought seven, to bring my IMR 16340 stock up to twelve: Four each for each of two cameras and four as the "ready reserves," allowing me to replace a set w/o taking a camera out-of-service during recharging or having to burn a set of CR123s when the 16340s do need replacement.

I'll still need a solution for the two Surefire lights, which take three cells each. (Tho what I should really do is swap out their incan emitters for LED.)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Jim, I don't presume to know your level of expertise on these matters, but especially since many browse these threads with widely varying backgrounds ... it may be worth a mention of the quite different voltage between primary CR123A and rechargeable IMR16340 cells, as they are not (strictly speaking) interchangeable

Last edited: