RofisLight        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eneloop with charger / adapter (Costco) package

Flashaholic

Default eneloop with charger / adapter (Costco) package

I went to Costco today and found this, 6 x AAs, 4 x AAAs, 4 x AA to C spacers, 4 x AA to D spacers, a BQ-CC75 charger and a plastic case for 30 dollars.

I have never heard of this charger before. This is what I know so far. It has a flip out AC plug on the back and a USB 5V 1A output on the side for charging smartphones or whatever. It is not a power bank. It can charge any combination of AAs or AAAs. AA charge is always 300mA, AAA charge is always 150mA. Each bay has a solid green LED when charging. When using the USB output it will not charge batteries.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Saw this in Costco today for the first time

Wait for some time and they will have a $8 off coupon.

Flashaholic

It seems like the closest relative to the BQ-CC75 in the Panasonic line is the BQ-CC17. The charge currents and time estimates are all exactly the same. Last night I tested the charger with a AA that was almost fully charged. The charge finished in about an hour so that tells me it has some type of smart termination and not just a timer. Smart termination also follows suit with the BQ-CC17.
    So far the only difference I see between the BQ-CC75 and the BQ-CC17 is the USB output on the CC75.

Interesting. Something new to add to the list. Do you know yhe SKU/product code?
    Link to costco of this set?

BTW if someone is willing to take a picture of front and back of the package I'd like to use it on my website...thanks.

Flashaholic

It does not show up on https://www.costco.com/ but lots of things they sell are only available in stores and not on line.

The item number from the receipt is 1185756. There are a few ebay sellers selling it for a lot more money than costco. I did a search using that item number.

http://costcocouple.com/eneloop-rechargeable-battery-kit/
    Has it up on their site also.

The AA to D adapters are the better screw on bottom type with the big negative contact. This is the first time I have seen regular white eneloops for sale in costco. In years past the eneloop AAs costco sold were dark blue and AAAs were silver. There are also ebay sellers selling these older sets.

Frank

Default Re: eneloop with charger / adapter (Costco) package

Quote Originally Posted by fmc1 View Post
    I went to Costco today and found this....
    Title updated, to be more informative and specific
    ... is the archimedes peak

It does not show up on https://www.costco.com/ but lots of things they sell are only available in stores and not on line.

The item number from the receipt is 1185756. There are a few ebay sellers selling it for a lot more money than costco. I did a search using that item number.

http://costcocouple.com/eneloop-rechargeable-battery-kit/
    Has it up on their site also.

The AA to D adapters are the better screw on bottom type with the big negative contact. This is the first time I have seen regular white eneloops for sale in costco. In years past the eneloop AAs costco sold were dark blue and AAAs were silver. There are also ebay sellers selling these older sets.

Frank
    Hey Frank,
    thanks a lot.
    So you actually bought a set?
    Could you possibly take a few nice pictures of the package (without glare)? That would be awesome!
    The ones on costcocouple are not so good, because they are taken from the side. I wonder if they (costco) actually sometimes have offical product pictures?
    If too much asked, never mind, hopefully I will come across some in the future.

It has a flip out AC plug on the back and a USB 5V 1A output on the side for charging smartphones or whatever. It is not a power bank. It can charge any combination of AAs or AAAs. AA charge is always 300mA, AAA charge is always 150mA. Each bay has a solid green LED when charging. When using the USB output it will not charge batteries.
    I didn't catch what you were saying until I read the package description.

So to clarify: it does not power the USB port from the batteries, so you can't, for example, use your spare Eneloops and the charger to top up your cell phone during a power outage.

Instead it powers the USB from the AC power, and if using the USB port, it will not charge the batteries. Or perhaps it just continues whichever function it was doing first, which would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by glockboy View Post
    Wait for some time and they will have a $8 off coupon.
    I assume you're stating this based on the sales they've offered on past Eneloop kits, not specific knowledge of an upcoming sale, right?

That would be sweet if they do. It would be cheaper than even just buying the batteries alone with no charger or adapters.

hmmm That is strange, it looks indeed like it can charge a phone While the charger is plugged in....
    Kind of lame not adding the USB out (powerbank) function then

Can someone confirm this?
    Last edited by ChibiM; 10-27-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Flashaholic

ChibiM

Sorry I cant help you out with pictures of the back of the package since I opened it up right away and discarded the cardboard packaging. I was very curious about the charger since I never saw it mentioned anywhere before.

The charger is defiantly not a power bank, it will not supply current to the USB from batteries. If you are charging batteries and then insert a USB cable it trips a switch and the battery LEDs turn off and the USB LED comes on. Think of it this way a BQ-CC75 is a BQ-CC17 or an AC to USB adapter but not both at the same time.

Permit me to remind people that the list price on 8 spacers alone is just a little under 30 dollars. So I feel it a very good deal despite some flaws.

Let me also add that from my past experience with the Costco store near me things like this dont last long. I would not be surprised if these were sold out in less than a month.

Frank
    Last edited by fmc1; 12-21-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiM View Post
    hmmm That is strange, it looks indeed like it can charge a phone While the charger is plugged in....
    Kind of lame not adding the USB out (powerbank) function then

Can someone confirm this?
    It occurred to me the charger circuits are all in parallel. They'd either either need to add a boost regulator, or do some internal switching to put the batteries in series for this feature. That hardly sounds insurmountable, but apparently Panasonic was only interested in adding the more basic feature of using the DC converter it already has to power a USB port.

@fmc1, thanks for all the info.. Good to know. How about a clear picture of the charger? Would that be okay? Just from the front and back?

@iamlucky : well the BQ CC57 has this function from the top of my head. So it's not that they cant make it

Flashaholic

I hope this helps

Thanks! Thats definitely helpful.
    Could you take a picture of the front of the charger?
    No pressure

Flashaholic*

Panasonic just needs to re-make the usb powered two Eneloop batteries charger already. It has been out of production for too long.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiM View Post
    Thanks! Thats definitely helpful.
    Could you take a picture of the front of the charger?
    No pressure
    ok

Good stuff, I sent you a PM

Enlightened

Local Costco's are now selling this package for $20 ($10 off).

I checked Slickdeals, and it sounds like the $20 price is pretty widely corroborated, and although not labeled in every store, seems to be ringing up that way.

A comment on Slickdeals also pointed out that there is a very similar price available on the Fujitsu-branded version on Newegg.

Same number of batteries and spacers, but the D-spacers look like a cheaper version, plus throw-away dumb charger for $25 minus $10 mail-in rebate:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-044-_-Product

4 x AA with a 4-hour smart charger for $15:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-037-_-Product

Based on the specs, appearance (rough size and location of the plug, screws, and other features), and reported presence of a post-termination trickle charge, I think there's a good chance the Fujitsu smart charger is the guts of the Panasonic BQ-CC16 with a slightly different plastic shell

I thought the Costco deal seemed unbeatable between the number of batteries it includes and the spacers, but getting the Fujitsu smart, fast charger is another compelling option. I'm not sure which I'm going to go with.
    Last edited by iamlucky13; 11-22-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Flashaholic

They are now offering a 10 dollar manufactures rebate at checkout on this package. So the cost is 20 dollars out the door.

Flashaholic*

Now $10 off so
    $20 + tax out the door.

They are now offering a 10 dollar manufactures rebate at checkout on this package. So the cost is 20 dollars out the door.
    Yep, that's the price they've had them at since mid-November, if I remember right. I picked a set up then. I immediately tried the D-adapters in an old incandescent Maglite. I ran it for about an hour with no trouble at all.

I happened to be at my local Costco today and saw they had two pallets of them. Hopefully that gets a lot of regular folks to discover how much better NiMH is than alkalines.

Unenlightened

I saw these at my local Costco (Sandy Eggo) today however before purchasing thought I'd see what y'all think 'cuz I'm a noob and don't want to carelessly either throw my money away or buy a fire starter. Probably pop by and pick one up although I'm pretty new at this and don't have but one real flashlight on the way to me (SureFire 6PX Pro).

Michael

Flashaholic

Buy them. Well worth it but the $10 discount ended on the 24th if I recall correctly.

Enlightened

The SureFire 6PX Pro uses two 123A, 3 volt batteries and this thread is about the eneloop 1.2 volt NiMH charger and battery package.

If you want AA and/or AAA batteries for other devices, by all means, buy the Costco kit.

Flashaholic*

BTW, for Canadians, Eneloops are finally back in the Costco stores. Only bundled with a BQ-CC17 charger, though. Charger + 4 AA's + 4 AAA's is $27 IIRC. Couldn't resist picking up some more that I totally do not need. I like the charger, too. Slow, but reliable.

The larger packs of 16 AA's and 12 AAA's are still on-line at costco.ca, but it's been awhile since I've seen them on sale.

For Americans, $27 Canadian is about $0.99 US, so great deal!

I bought a set about a month ago @ $29.99. I thought that it would make a nice gift.
    Today January 30, 2018, I was in the store, and they had them @ $19.99 with a limit of three.
    I bought three.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    I bought a set about a month ago @ $29.99. I thought that it would make a nice gift.
    Today January 30, 2018, I was in the store, and they had them @ $19.99 with a limit of three.
    I bought three.
    Hi Poppy,

I was in the Boca Raton Costco and they were indeed $19.99, so the same price as you note.

I figure that a quad of Gen. 5 AA Eneloops delivered, would be $10-$12, so $15-$18 for 6. Add another $10 for a quad of AAAs and we've got a good deal.

The charger, the adapters and the case are just freebies, IMO.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I was in the Costco in Livonia,MI on Middlebelt Rd. March 19 and these were $19.99 . I don't recall if this was a sale with an end date.
    Costco product number is 1185756

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast