Bought a used maxabeam, need help for powering

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Hello, bought one on ebay, arrived, how do i know what generation it is?
Model MBS 410 Serialnr: M10331G220

Can i power it with a 3S2P lithium power pack that i use for model cars? Or do i need 12Vdc lead accu?
Also, i dont have a connecting cable, so i need to know witch 2 pins are + and - of the 4 pins?

Thanks marc

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It says G2 in the serial number, so Gen2.
You should use a 4S LiFePo4 battery. The Gen2 ballast is very picky regarding the input voltage.
These LiFePo4 betteries are available for model RC cars.

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
When i power it with a powersupply set to 12vdc and i push the red knop down it starts up and pulls +- 7amps, so i think this is normal.
But i have Always to push on the red button or it switches to off?
When it is powered up (pushing on the red button) and i move the black switch forward or back it zooms in and out: OK i think. When i more left or right it pulls +- 1amp extra and it lits more up: OK?

So how does it stay on ?
Thanks Marc

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You think you have problems? I got a streamlight litebox for free. The charge cord was bad so I got a new one instead of repairing the old one which was already fixed. The battery wasn't holding a charge so I got a new one. It worked for about 30 seconds then the bulb died. I bought 2 new bulbs installed one and it worked perfectly. Until the switch died. Not much else can go wrong after this

dariman3

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on the buy. That's the Maxabeam light I've been waiting for from seller "wasda128" on ebay in Germany. Opened a request for action, so now I can get this weasel to refund the payment. Thanks for posting your purchase so I can get this settled. Enjoy it! And caveat emptor!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MaxaBeam light requires you to push the red button to energize the ballast. Once you let off the button, the light should remain on high for around 10 seconds before falling back to a reduced power level.
Toggling the switch forward causes the beam to close to a pinpoint, toggled back causes the beam to go wide.
Do not use latching high (toggling the switch to the right) with Gen 2 lights as the bulbs don't like seeing high amperages for more than a few seconds.

Peak Beam has some of the best customer service. If needed, call them and they'll take care of you.

Matt@PeakBeam

Newly Enlightened
Hello Marc,

Congrats on your 'new' Maxa Beam. It sounds like you have figured out the basics. Please feel free to contact me directly or post questions here if you need any additional help.

Your light originally shipped in December 2002. On Gen2 lights you could override the low voltage cut-off temporarily by holding down the red button. This was designed to enable a user to access the small amount of reserve capacity in the battery after it had been fully discharged during normal operation. Ideally you want 12V at the searchlight once factoring in voltage drop in your cabling.

Enjoy your new light!

Matt