Tactical EDC with lotsa lumens

liteningbug

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a powerful EDC (600 lumens minimum, the more the merrier, mostly throw-based; high candela desired) that I can pocket carry (so 6" max, ideally under 5") under $150, ideally under $100. Any kind of battery is fine. Will be using this in conjunction with a carry handgun for training in night shooting (and with any luck, never use it in self defense), so I want a simple momentary-only UI as the main tail switch--anything beyond that is fine so long as it can't get accidentally activated when doing momentary-only. 1" wide body is nice because then I can use it with a Switchback 2.0, but by no means required. I have a Fenix E12 for basic EDC light tasks, this one will just be self defense in conjunction with handgun or if some major brightness is needed.

Thank you!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Up to $100.

3) Format:

_X___I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

__X__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-6 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
__X__I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
__X__Any of the above are acceptable.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

__X__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__X__Any size switch will do.
__X__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
Primary light option should be high brightness with momentary only; if another option like twisting for a different mode exists, that is fine.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
Momentary on-off only from the tail switch is desired; a secondary option activated by twisting or otherwise not easy to accidentally trigger is totally fine.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
__X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

__X__Pocket/belt clip

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Looking for a powerful EDC (600 lumens minimum, the more the merrier, mostly throw-based; high candela desired) that I can pocket carry (so 6" max, ideally under 5") under $150, ideally under $100. Any kind of battery is fine. Will be using this in conjunction with a carry handgun for training in night shooting (and with any luck, never use it in self defense), so I want a simple momentary-only UI as the main tail switch--anything beyond that is fine so long as it can't get accidentally activated when doing momentary-only. 1" wide body is nice because then I can use it with a Switchback 2.0, but by no means required. I have a Fenix E12 for basic EDC light tasks, this one will just be self defense in conjunction with handgun or if some major brightness is needed.

Thank you!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Up to $100.

3) Format:

_X___I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

__X__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-6 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
__X__I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
__X__Any of the above are acceptable.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

__X__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__X__Any size switch will do.
__X__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
Primary light option should be high brightness with momentary only; if another option like twisting for a different mode exists, that is fine.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
Momentary on-off only from the tail switch is desired; a secondary option activated by twisting or otherwise not easy to accidentally trigger is totally fine.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
__X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

__X__Pocket/belt clip

9c885c2b05397392fe3453415d962839.jpg

Convoy S2+ with 18350 tube
Nichia 219c 5000k
Ring magnet on tail switch
Potted driver
Lucidv2 firmware allows from 1 to 7 modes in your group. You can set any mode to one of the 24 bright levels.

Right now I'm using the following

Moon
Low
Med
Double tap to turbo

You can set double tap to strobe also.

Randy at PflexPro made this one does excellent work

Last edited:

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight HL-X. I had similar criteria when I was looking for a light recently. Number 9 and 10 being pretty important to me. It does both of them extremely well. I used it intermittently for a week on full charge with streamlight 2600mah 18650 and ran it an hour straight on mid 400 lumens last night which throws extremely good at that brightness, and another 12-15 minutes at 1000 lumens last night. Ran it on low a few times this morning. Just put the battery in the charger and it was only down to 3.76V. Not bad after week of daily use and one night of long use. I also use a no name 2000mah 18650 in it and it runs a long time with it too.

It carries clipped in the pocket good if you want to edc something in that size range. It's ready from the box and is under $100.00. You can get a couple streamlight brand 18650s with it and still be under a hundred. I got mine from a local cop shop that's always a couple bucks less than the best online prices I can find.

Its kinda heavy but you can clip it to a hat also. Tough durable build with a great tint. Haven't run primaries in it as it can use two cr123 throw always if needed, but I hate throwing money away so I doubt I'll ever run them unless it's an emergency.

What really impresses me most is the run time on high. It stays there long at full brightness without killing the battery fast like most other brands. I'd love to get a nitecore P30 but it's too fat up top to pocket carry. The HL-X is the perfect size to throw to run time ratio for me. I'm very happy I decided to get it. I run mine on low/mid/high. Don't need strobe, and high only would be great if I were weapon mounting it.

liteningbug

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight HL-X. I had similar criteria when I was looking for a light recently. Number 9 and 10 being pretty important to me. It does both of them extremely well. I used it intermittently for a week on full charge with streamlight 2600mah 18650 and ran it an hour straight on mid 400 lumens last night which throws extremely good at that brightness, and another 12-15 minutes at 1000 lumens last night. Ran it on low a few times this morning. Just put the battery in the charger and it was only down to 3.76V. Not bad after week of daily use and one night of long use. I also use a no name 2000mah 18650 in it and it runs a long time with it too.

It carries clipped in the pocket good if you want to edc something in that size range. It's ready from the box and is under $100.00. You can get a couple streamlight brand 18650s with it and still be under a hundred. I got mine from a local cop shop that's always a couple bucks less than the best online prices I can find.

Its kinda heavy but you can clip it to a hat also. Tough durable build with a great tint. Haven't run primaries in it as it can use two cr123 throw always if needed, but I hate throwing money away so I doubt I'll ever run them unless it's an emergency.

What really impresses me most is the run time on high. It stays there long at full brightness without killing the battery fast like most other brands. I'd love to get a nitecore P30 but it's too fat up top to pocket carry. The HL-X is the perfect size to throw to run time ratio for me. I'm very happy I decided to get it. I run mine on low/mid/high. Don't need strobe, and high only would be great if I were weapon mounting it.

This looks like it should be about perfect for me! That's probably both the best and fastest answer I've gotten for a recommendation question. Thank you!!

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
This looks like it should be about perfect for me! That's probably both the best and fastest answer I've gotten for a recommendation question. Thank you!!

You made it easy. After I read your post, it perfectly described the HL-X. The throw, tint, brightness, candela, size. They all work perfect in this light. The run time is long, and it's bright during that run time. It's not like other brands that sure, they run that long but there's no way they run anywhere near as bright AND long as the HL-X. They really pack a lot into the size this light is.

liteningbug

Newly Enlightened
You made it easy. After I read your post, it perfectly described the HL-X. The throw, tint, brightness, candela, size. They all work perfect in this light. The run time is long, and it's bright during that run time. It's not like other brands that sure, they run that long but there's no way they run anywhere near as bright AND long as the HL-X. They really pack a lot into the size this light is.

Still, thank you--I wasn't seeing it when I was doing searches myself.

How has it been for you as far as EDC (if you've used it for that)?

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Still, thank you--I wasn't seeing it when I was doing searches myself.

How has it been for you as far as EDC (if you've used it for that)?

It is not my every single day light, but the days I have carried it, it was all day and I had no issue and I don't typicaly like bigger lights for all day carry. I prefer a one 16340 or 14500 as my EDC but if I needed one light to do almost everything and carry everyday, this would be it. I prefer the smaller ones but I could live with the HL-X.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head is wider than 1 inch will it still work for your needs?

Latest posts