RofisLight        
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Default Re: SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

The setup I like to use is the EDCL1-T head on the EDCL2-T body with a 16650. I thought about selling the EDCL2-T head and just keep this setup but Iím not sure I want to do that. I just find myself using this setup more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The setup I like to use is the EDCL1-T head on the EDCL2-T body with a 16650. I thought about selling the EDCL2-T head and just keep this setup but Iím not sure I want to do that. I just find myself using this setup more and more.
    This is exactly what Iíd like to do. Any guestimate on how long a run time youíre getting on high with this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronc6901 View Post
    This is exactly what Iíd like to do. Any guestimate on how long a run time youíre getting on high with this setup?
    Yea about 108 minutes before the battery dies.

Yea about 108 minutes before the battery dies.
    Gradual taper, or does it seem regulated at 500 before it goes out?

Default SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Quote Originally Posted by Bronc6901 View Post
    Gradual taper, or does it seem regulated at 500 before it goes out?
    KE1G on an EDCL2-T body with a 2500mAh KeepPower 16650 until the protection circuit kicked in:

Last edited by Sean; 03-01-2018 at 11:11 AM.

KE1G on an EDCL2-T body with a 2500mAh KeepPower 16650 until the protection circuit kicked in:
    Thanks for posting that. So almost two hours at 500 lumens on a rechargeable with a gas peddle tail cap. Looks like you pieced together my dream light lol

I bet using an unprotected sanyo ur16650zta charged to 4.35v will get you 2hrs, once my edcl1t shows up ill definitely test it
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    I bet using an unprotected sanyo ur16650zta charged to 4.35v will get you 2hrs, once my edcl1t shows up ill definitely test it
    What charger do you use for that Sanyo 16650 to get it to 4.35v?

Xtar vp2, keeppowers only get to 4.27v because the over charge protection kicks in
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 02-28-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Xtar vp2, keeppowers only get to 4.27v because the over charge protection kicks in
    Ok, how do you keep from over discharging the battery?

There is a 3 position manual switch you have to pre set for what kind of battery you are charging. I think the positions are 3.2,3.6 and 3.8. The cut off is automatic to whatever you set your switch to which would be 3.6,4.2 or 4.35

Edit, sorry i read your question wrong. I know the runtimes of the lights i use unprotected cells in and i never get close to over discharging. When i do runtime tests with unprotected cells, as soon as the output drops ill check the voltage of the cell to see if i can keep going safely.
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 02-28-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Ok, how do you keep from over discharging the battery?
    There is a 3 position manual switch you have to pre set for what kind of battery you are charging. I think the positions are 3.2,3.6 and 3.8. The cut off is automatic to whatever you set your switch to which would be 3.6,4.2 or 4.35

I think you guys may be talking about two different things.

I've been running IMR's in the EDCL2-T (and the E1B-MV) for the last few weeks. On the regulated IMR cells there is sudden darkness with a residual voltage of about 3.3.

With the unprotected cells there is plenty of warning as the voltage drops with flickering on high and some recovery after cycling the power. Final usable voltage is about 2.6, above the advertised low limit for the IMR's at 2.5 volts.

I doubt the extra voltage drop in the unprotected cells gives more than a couple of minutes extra light on high since the voltage is dropping like a coke machine when the cell goes out of regulation. But it is nice to have some juice left to find more batteries.

Also, I know from experience that someday I will inevitably leave the light on until the batteries are dead. With unprotected IMR's is this dangerous when I put them in the charger?

The protected IMR's I've tested are 4Seven's and Olight 5C IMR cells. Unprotected IMR's are some old orange label AW's and some brand new Exell EBLI-16340HP6-BT's.

I'm using a Nitecore D4 charger with default settings for all of these cells. It seems to charge to about 4.18 volts at 750 ma on these batteries according to the digital display.

In the interest of science I just ran another test of the unprotected IMR's in the EDCL2-T. I let the light run down further on high until it was dim and low mode was candlelight. There was some flickering as previously mentioned but not as much as on the E1B-MV as the voltage drops.

Cell voltages were 2.41 and 2.52. Hopefully not too far below the 2.5 min discharge on the IMR spec sheet to be significant. After a few seconds in the D4 charger indicated voltage was rising above 2.7.

When the EDCL2-T is left on high with IMR's it initially gets quite hot to the touch and then after a few minutes seems to thermally throttle back to a more reasonable temperature. Since I mainly wanted run the batteries down, I turned the light off for a little while thinking it would cool before resuming the discharge. It seemed to have the paradoxical reset effect of having the light run full bore and overheating again before becoming thermally stable at a cooler temp.
    Last edited by Vox Clamatis in Deserto; 02-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Please bear in mind that you are measuring resting voltages. The actual voltage under load will be lower, so not a thing to do make a habit of.
    P
    I'm looking for an HDS 325 Clicky. If you have a spare would you please give me a shout? I'd even slum it with a Cerakote. Users would suit best, I don't deserve a posh one. Thanks. Peter

Default SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

I did a quick test on my EDCL2-T using K2 LPF cells. There was a drop off in brightness within the first minute or minute-and-a-half. It then leveled off at what I would estimate to be 800-850 lumens and it held this brightness for the next 15 minutes. After that point brightness dropped off very quickly.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-17-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Please bear in mind that you are measuring resting voltages. The actual voltage under load will be lower, so not a thing to do make a habit of.
    Good point Peter. Maybe the protected IMR's are the way to go with rechargeables even with the sudden cutoff. It looks like the resting voltage is quite low before the flickering is noticeable on the unprotected IMR's.

Default SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Iím really new here . I didnít know protected IMR batteries existed.

Sorry for being off topic . I just received my Surefire EDCL2-T.
    Last edited by jkevind11; 03-01-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkevind11 View Post
    Iím really new here . I didnít know protected IMR batteries existed.
    I didn't either. I had the old AW IMR's from years ago which are unprotected. I bought some recent lights that have a high current draw - 4Sevens Mini Turbo Mk II, SureFire E1B-MV and the SF EDCL2-T. With these lights the regular RCR123A's run for as little as two minutes on high before the PTC protection circuit trips and the light goes dark.

I got a couple of the 4Sevens 5C high current rechargeable batteries recommended for the Mini Turbo Mk II and found that these new lights would all run much longer on high. However, there was also a sudden shutdown and the lights wouldn't come back on until the batteries were recharged. After some discussion here it was pointed out to me that these batteries and a similar Olight 5C cell were IMR's with a protection circuit.

In an effort to avoid the sudden darkness I tested batteries thought to be non-protected IMR's, e.g. the orange label AW's bought years ago and some Excell's I found online. Both sets of batteries run a long time before giving ample warning of low voltage by flickering and dimming before going dark. However, the terminal voltage is so low that it may damage the cells even though IMR's are touted to have a 'safe' chemistry.

Anyway, running my lights on rechargeables has been worth the trouble. At least until my wife tells me to clean up all the batteries sitting next to the charger on the utility room counter.

Thank you . Thatís why Iím on this forum . Always learning .

Since the EDCL-2T is designed for a single 3 volt cell is the 16650 4.2 V safe for the led and driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson456 View Post
    Since the EDCL-2T is designed for a single 3 volt cell is the 16650 4.2 V safe for the led and driver?
    The EDCL2-T is designed for two CR123A's and in my recent experience, runs fine on two 16340 IMR rechargeables.

Anyone know if this light is regulated as well as its little brother? Somebody posted that the 1T runs at max brightness around 30 minutes before the brightness drops.

Default SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    Anyone know if this light is regulated as well as its little brother? Somebody posted that the 1T runs at max brightness around 30 minutes before the brightness drops.
    I answered this as best I could in post #614 on the last page (using K2 LPF cells).

I did a quick test on my EDCL2-T using K2 LPF cells. There was a drop off in brightness within the first minute or minute-and-a-half. It then leveled off at what I would estimate to be 850-900 lumens and it held this brightness for the next 15 minutes. After that point brightness dropped off very quickly.

The single-depress; turn to leave it on of Surefire's tactical user interface made their Millennium Special Operations Series, Centurion, and pretty much all of their discontinued lights critical equipment. i am relieved to see they went with this UI for the EDCL2-T.

I never could get past how warm the batteries get with this one. I ended up using the head on an older E2 Defender. That combo sets near my ROP'd Maglite.

I swapped the tailcap from a 200 lumen EB-1c and use an AZ2 head on it now. The gas pedal works great on the EB1 and with a #12 Danco o-ring in one of the slots the light is at least as confident as the original shrouded clicky was. Maybe more.

I can see the purpose behind the EDCL2-T in its factory platform. And it's awesome performing its duty. I'll miss that awesome low setting too.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I never could get past how warm the batteries get with this one. I ended up using the head on an older E2 Defender. That combo sets near my ROP'd Maglite.

I swapped the tailcap from a 200 lumen EB-1c and use an AZ2 head on it now. The gas pedal works great on the EB1 and with a #12 Danco o-ring in one of the slots the light is at least as confident as the original shrouded clicky was. Maybe more.

I can see the purpose behind the EDCL2-T in its factory platform. And it's awesome performing its duty. I'll miss that awesome low setting too.
    Oh man. My edcl2 is on me every day in factory form. I hardly use high but I sure like it when I do! So far so good when using high for extended periods. It can get pretty hot but seems stable. Has turned into my favorite surefire to date.

I hear ya Teak. I really like the low. And the high makes me giggle like a 3rd grader who heard the teacher burp.

Sometimes I'll reassemble the factory parts and run it off a 17650 as that is kinda like having a medium setting. Plus it runs a heck-uv-alot cooler. But the low in that setup sucks compared to the 123 fed low.

Agree with the seems stable part, and I'm confident SureFire did their homework, crossed the t's and dotted the i's before were able to buy them.

I suppose by fall it'll be back to factory setup. Especially if I can find a gas pedal for my EB1c.

You need a 1-T head to run 2-T with a 17650

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    You need a 1-T head to run 2-T with a 17650
    I just reach in my other pocket and pull out the 100 lumen Tana'd E2D set on 25% and get about the same as the low of the 2-T.
    But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Perhaps I'll try the EB1 head on a 17650 fed EDCL2-T instead.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-24-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Flashaholic*

I'm looking at this battery that seems to be a good choice for running rechargeable for our 3.5A battery burner:

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-imr-16340.html

It has an oddly specific warning of "Please note: Only charge this battery inside of the product. Do not use an external charger.". Does anyone know what is a general use equivalent?
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Quote Originally Posted by 270winchester View Post
    I'm looking at this battery that seems to be a good choice for running rechargeable for our 3.5A battery burner:

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-imr-16340.html

It has an oddly specific warning of "Please note: Only charge this battery inside of the product. Do not use an external charger.". Does anyone know what is a general use equivalent?
    I have those.
    The reason is that while an external charger will charge them, there is also a negative terminal at the positive side ofthe battery and it is veryeasy to short circuit.

I took some insulators from dead CR123s and glued them to the top of these Olightcells to prevent shorts, since I dont have S2 or S1R lights anyway.
    Way safer now.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324 LastLast