Light around 4000 - 5000 lumens

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Recently I've started looking for my next light, as a potential Christmas gift :D
I am the proud owner of a dog as well, walking during the night, etc. Anyway - my nearly 1000 lumens Nitecore P25 seems not enough for me. Plus this doughnut ring...
I was looking around for something like Fenix TK75 2018 or Jetbeam DDR30-GT.
Cannot really tell if I want a thrower or a spiller - probably a bit both of them to look after dog and my backyard (around 200 meters long). Also I would like to have similar features as the Fenix.
OK - Let me put that this way - Fenix seemed ideal for me, until I got deeper into their graphs and discovered that the 5000 lumens lasts nearly no time (2 minutes or so and then drops to 2500 lumens - not much of a difference comparing to my P25...).
So I am looking into real 4000 - 5000 lumens or more with the decent working time - at least 10 - 15 minutes, rechargeable via USB or a charger slot, some common sense mode selection and IPX8 waterproof. Ideally OP reflector. Any ideas? One more thing - I am looking to spend around 150 - 200 pounds. Can consider more, if really worth it :D:grin2:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrower or spiller depends on whether you want to illuminate a large area closer in front of you, or a smaller area further away. Referring to your dog being 200 meters away, it sounds like a thrower is what you're looking for.

Convoy L6 - Not really a dedicated thrower, but enough power it throws anyways. No USB charging, but no thermal regulation. Somewhere around 3500 lumens, but 3x the candela of the P25, and no thermal regulation or other stepdown. The price will leave plenty of money left over for a good charger and batteries.

Acebeam L16 - fairly compact thrower - similar distance as the L6 on lower lumens. Stepdown around 5 minutes, but would still out-throw the P25 after stepdown if you need to search far away continuously. Has USB charging.

Honestly, I'm also not sure the TK75 and similar lights should be sold short just because it steps down a little bit after a couple minutes. It also will easily outhrow the P25 after stepdown.

Or you could just go for a monster lights like the Thrunite TN40 or Acebeam K60 or K70.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus the post above,

I don't usually reply to "Suggest a light" posts, because the divergence between what I am thinking and what you are thinking is largely unknown.

However, since this topic thread is located smack dab in the middle of a sub-forum that I peruse, here goes:

X65.

Dovii

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore TM06s 4000 lumens for an hour, quad 18650. but no USB port. I rarely use the 4000 lumens, except to play :) most of the time the 480 lumens is bright enough. Since this is a Quad 18650, you would charge less number of times compared to a single 18650. Its also very small for a quad 18650 light and it is very well balanced when your holding it.

Last edited:

cclin

Newly Enlightened
There only one light in my collection can do ~4000lm constantly:
*Acebeam X45 XHP70.2, ~4300lm on high for around one hour & half.
Olight X7 NW can do ~5700lm for 10 minutes or ~3000lm for about one hour & half.
None any of Vinh's light or any smaller light use FET Driver can do it.... voltage sag so quick & all the High heat generating from LED!!!

Last edited:

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
First of all - thank you all for replying to my thread. Acebeam lights - really interesting... Shame to admit, but I didn't hear of them before. Probably was too concentrated on Fenix, Nitecore and Jetbeam... I must admit - I don't like changes and if I something didn't let me down, I'd rather stick to it then experimenting...
Vegaslights - thanks for your feedback, you've presented interesting lights as well, as I am looking for the good headlight...
Ok, going forward - Let me explain a bit... You might think, that 5K lumens it's a lot. OK - probably is. Look at this from my perspective. On daily basis I am using 1000 lumens light - Nitecore P25 and MH12. Both quite similar and brilliant. I have bought MH12 as my EDC, but it turned out that after all it was too big, so I kept using Jetbeam RRT-01 as my EDC, which is lovely, but I miss clicky switch, I must admit. Anyway - to the point.
As I said - 1K lumens might seem a lot, but, trust me, it's not that much when you go for big open spaces. Just next to my house I've got a steep hill with some kind of wild animals like foxes or rabbits, occasionally homeless dogs... - the hill is about 100 meters high and my torch is struggling to lit it properly. Next area - long and narrow path, around 150 meters long. Trees from both sides - no way I will lit properly the end of this path with a 1000 lumens. Another one - my back yard and field... Back yard around 200 meters, field about 500 meters long...
And now to the point. I know, if I bough a 2500 - 3000 lumens light I would barely see the difference. Of course - that would be, but not that impressive... Remember - the higher lumens rating, the more lumen range there should be to tell the noticeable difference. You will see the obvious difference between 200 and 1000 lumens light, but the same difference between 2000 and 2800 lumens wont be that impressive...
That's why I want to go for, at least, 4000 lumens, in my case, because I could potentially imagine what I would want and what to expect...
Keep on suggesting :)

Thanks

Keitho

Enlightened
No need to justify lumen lust here, you are among friends! For sustained 5000 lumens, you're into bigger lights that can handle the heat (3x or 4x 18650). My X7vn can sustain 5k lumens for quite awhile in my hand on a cool evening, and it is a lot of fun! I'm not out there with an integrating sphere and a stopwatch, but I'd guess that is about 30% power, closer to 2 hours than 1.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
First of all - thank you all for replying to my thread. Acebeam lights - really interesting... Shame to admit, but I didn't hear of them before. Probably was too concentrated on Fenix, Nitecore and Jetbeam... I must admit - I don't like changes and if I something didn't let me down, I'd rather stick to it then experimenting...
Vegaslights - thanks for your feedback, you've presented interesting lights as well, as I am looking for the good headlight...
Ok, going forward - Let me explain a bit... You might think, that 5K lumens it's a lot. OK - probably is. Look at this from my perspective. On daily basis I am using 1000 lumens light - Nitecore P25 and MH12. Both quite similar and brilliant. I have bought MH12 as my EDC, but it turned out that after all it was too big, so I kept using Jetbeam RRT-01 as my EDC, which is lovely, but I miss clicky switch, I must admit. Anyway - to the point.
As I said - 1K lumens might seem a lot, but, trust me, it's not that much when you go for big open spaces. Just next to my house I've got a steep hill with some kind of wild animals like foxes or rabbits, occasionally homeless dogs... - the hill is about 100 meters high and my torch is struggling to lit it properly. Next area - long and narrow path, around 150 meters long. Trees from both sides - no way I will lit properly the end of this path with a 1000 lumens. Another one - my back yard and field... Back yard around 200 meters, field about 500 meters long...
And now to the point. I know, if I bough a 2500 - 3000 lumens light I would barely see the difference. Of course - that would be, but not that impressive... Remember - the higher lumens rating, the more lumen range there should be to tell the noticeable difference. You will see the obvious difference between 200 and 1000 lumens light, but the same difference between 2000 and 2800 lumens wont be that impressive...
That's why I want to go for, at least, 4000 lumens, in my case, because I could potentially imagine what I would want and what to expect...

Thanks
So you need a thrower not neccery a high lumen light
Mybe thrunite tn40. It can go long time on it's 1700lm mode with good throw.
Here are some beamshots so you can see why mybe you just need a thrower

Zebright sc600 mk iii hi
1100lm 18k cd ( 260m throw)
7b0a0822de9597e30f217372c8a8ac34.jpg

Utorch ut02
1000lm 110k cd (650m throw)
241bdc3e8d7fb80c7950ac6171cc5028.jpg

So as you see even with similar otput it lights up objects much farther
If you like this kind of beam Mybe the tn42\k70\mk35\mf 02(its new so wait for review frist) all are xhp35 hi in a large smo reflector with over 500k cd (1500m throw)

And here is also beamshots for the tn40. It hes more lumens and larger hotspot than the lights o mention above
Thrunite tn40
4500lm 330k cd (1100m throw)
7e5273746d5bd21de4a01624b8b84289.jpg

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a hard look at the Acebeam K60.

Other than no USB/charge slot (thankfully for me), it looks like a great fit for your needs.

In addition to everything the K60 offers...the combination of beam profile, runtime, build quality and control ring UI are what makes it special.

Since I will not use modified lights, all our K60's are bone stock.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLF Q8 might be a good choice.

No USB slot and I don't know about the runtime, but it has:

* 5000 lumens
* superb ramping UI. One of the best UIs available.
* excellent neutral tint
* good beam pattern with mix of flood and throw
* good price (much cheaper in price than other lights discussed here if you get it via the BLF group-buy).
* Excellent build quality - similar in quality to the other lights discussed in this thread, even though you could probably 3 or 4 of these for the price of one of those.

If you want a long-ranged light and don't mind having a BIG light you could go for the BLF GT (also available via group buy). It's huge, but build quality looks great. Has a huge reflector designed for throw, but supposedly there's enough usable spill to see stuff up close. Output is only 1500 lumens or so, but at 1.3 million lux it has considerably more throw than any other unmodified light on the market. Has the same UI has the Q8.

Last edited:

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
BLF Q8 might be a good choice.

No USB slot and I don't know about the runtime, but it has:

* 5000 lumens
* superb ramping UI. One of the best UIs available.
* excellent neutral tint
* good beam pattern with mix of flood and throw
* good price (much cheaper in price than other lights discussed here if you get it via the BLF group-buy).
* Excellent build quality - similar in quality to the other lights discussed in this thread, even though you could probably 3 or 4 of these for the price of one of those.

If you want a long-ranged light and don't mind having a BIG light you could go for the BLF GT (also available via group buy). It's huge, but build quality looks great. Has a huge reflector designed for throw, but supposedly there's enough usable spill to see stuff up close. Output is only 1500 lumens or so, but at 1.3 million lux it has considerably more throw than any other unmodified light on the market. Has the same UI has the Q8.

Acebeam K60 - looks perfect for me now. The only feature it lacks is no USB charge - ok, I can live with this. All the rest -I am really impressed with this light. Can hardly wait for my Christmas salary to be paid ;)

Fireclaw -Thanks for a suggestion, your one is really nice one, however what got me attracted in K60 is this regulation ring - this is such a lovely feature. I had one in my RRT-0 and it was just perfect, I loved it. I know - it is different in K60, but stil the same principle..
Please - let me understand, if not a problem. lux and lumens business..? I understand perfectly lumens subject, however cannot with all the confidence explain one vs another...
Thank you kindly...
Very BIG help!

justanotherguy

Enlightened

Thanks
I live next to a 14 acre park....I can light the heck out of it with a Q8
Are there lights that compete? sure , but I ( and 4 friends) love the heck out of it , especially for the initial group buy of $40...

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
OK, just a final check, before i spend money with a clear conscious - is there an alternative for this light in a similar price range and all the features this light presents?
Things that I particularly like (not in some special order):
- Orange peel reflector
- mode control ring
- very good mode selection
- throw / spill ratio and the throw distance :O
- build quality
- size
Just checking... :)

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
So nothing...? Perfect then. That's what I was waiting for. :twothumbs
Time to look for some decent prices out there.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing about the Q8 is even though it is a one-button UI, the interface is so fluid and simple it actually feels like having an infinitely variable control ring.

Hold from off and the light starts in moonlight and then starts to ramp up.
Ramping is fast. It ascends through 150 different brightness levels in just 2.4 seconds. Release and hold the button down again to reverse the direction of the ramp.
Double-click at any time for turbo.

Combine that with the Q8's excellent build quality, fantastic price, great beam pattern and beautiful neutral tint and this light is a no-brainer. You could pay 3x as much for a light that doesn't deliver half as much.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say you've made a GREAT choice!

Last edited:

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
I've encountered one problem - what batteries exactly should I buy for this light?

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Assuming I would buy Acebeam batteries, can I charge them with Ultrafire charger? It's few years old and it's also designed for 18650 batteries, but would it be good in this case?