Is my Lacrosse BC-900 dead?

fefrie

Newly Enlightened
Had it for 10 or so years.

Lately, it just misses the termination voltage and just continues to charge straight to 3.7a. Doesn't matter if it's aaa or aa.

Tried 200, 500, 700, misses them all the time.

Granted, the cells are a bit older, but not completely worn out. However, in earlier days, with defective cells the charger was still able to find termination voltages and end at a predicted lower capacity.

Is there a way to 'reboot' this charger or is this a common behavior of chargers that are 'done'.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Fefrie,

Your cells may be past their prime. Try the charger with some new cells and see if it works with them.

Tom

dmcbohol

Newly Enlightened
Had it for 10 or so years.

Lately, it just misses the termination voltage and just continues to charge straight to 3.7a. Doesn't matter if it's aaa or aa.

Tried 200, 500, 700, misses them all the time.

Granted, the cells are a bit older, but not completely worn out. However, in earlier days, with defective cells the charger was still able to find termination voltages and end at a predicted lower capacity.

Is there a way to 'reboot' this charger or is this a common behavior of chargers that are 'done'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you found a solution to this problem?

If not yet & you still have the charger/power supply unit & can solder, open the charger unit (only 4 screws to remove at the back) & look for any cold solder. Another worth inspecting is the thermal grease on the thermal sensor : you have to remove the motherboard (another 4 screws to remove) from the plastic case. You will then see 2 small beads with long legs - this is the thermal sensor; put some thermal grease on it then reinstall & check if your charger is good again.

If you're having a reset/restart problem you can then browse around this forum for the solutions.

I'm very new here but I plan to put up a BC-900 repair & mods thread if the moderator will allow me

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you found a solution to this problem?

If not yet & you still have the charger/power supply unit & can solder, open the charger unit (only 4 screws to remove at the back) & look for any cold solder. Another worth inspecting is the thermal grease on the thermal sensor : you have to remove the motherboard (another 4 screws to remove) from the plastic case. You will then see 2 small beads with long legs - this is the thermal sensor; put some thermal grease on it then reinstall & check if your charger is good again.

If you're having a reset/restart problem you can then browse around this forum for the solutions.

I'm very new here but I plan to put up a BC-900 repair & mods thread if the moderator will allow me

I don't see why not? I've had a BC-700 for 6+ years and mine misses terminations sometimes, on new quality batteries; however, it mostly shuts down thermally at 700mA and even 500mA. It's expected, lol.

My Maha C9000 Wizard One, of the same age, has never shut down thermally, nor has it ever missed a termination.

I wish I would have bought two of those.

Chris

hc900

Newly Enlightened
I don't see why not? I've had a BC-700 for 6+ years and mine misses terminations sometimes, on new quality batteries; however, it mostly shuts down thermally at 700mA and even 500mA. It's expected, lol.

My Maha C9000 Wizard One, of the same age, has never shut down thermally, nor has it ever missed a termination.

I wish I would have bought two of those.

Chris
The BC700 has its own history, but the BC900 has a different hardware.

A few days ago I checked with a digital oscilloscope the charging currents of the BC900, using a resistance of 0.1 Ohm as a current sensor "I saw things that you humans can not understand"

I understand well now why AAA batteries died after a few years, as well as the low capacity AA ones.

LaCrosse BC900 setting Battery Type Cycle mSec T On mSec T Off mSec Peak @ T On Average charge
200mA charge AA 21,44 1,36 20,8 2500mA !! 159mA
700mA charge AAx2 19,52 9,44 10,08 1400mA 677mA
2000mA charge AAx2 fast charge---- 0,28 2180mAMax 2000mA *
Tricke charge AA trickle 19,76 0,22 19,542500mA !!28mA **
200mA charge AAA 21,5 2 19,52000mA !! 186mA
* = It depends a lot on the quality of the batteries (internal resistance)
** = only 28mA, but dangerous current peak

I can only recommend taking the Opus BT-C700 which HKJ has thoroughly tested on its site.
I'm using a pair of BT-C700 and I have to admit they are damn good for the modest cost they have, better than my Eneloop MQR06W and Eneloop
MQR02N chargers.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put together a 12v to 3vdc buck converter for travel in the car and noticed that the LaCrosse pulse charges the batteries. It was like a built in repetitive step response forcing proper fb loop compensation of the power supply. I only use the 200mA setting for doing AAA's on this charger. And only do 500mA for the AA's. Haven't seen any degradation yet. I've seen the waveform on a scope but never bothered to figure out what the peak current was.