Angryfox        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Zebralight H600/H604/H600F MKIV headlamp

Default Re: Zebralight H600/H604/H600F MKIV headlamp

Fireclaw18, you're getting a light that is so good, you might well forget that you have a light on your head.
    I forget about my MK II all the time when using it for extended periods of time.
    The biggest downside of these reflectorless lights, aside from their limited range, is that you can't really look to one side of someone and spare them most of the glare. If you can see their eyes, you're blasting them.

Holding down the switch to get to Low and tipping the light down when talking to someone is an easy habit though, besides you'll look all Sci-Fi and badass with the down facing low flood, and your effortless light management will make them inclined to think that you're extremely competent in untold other mysterious arts as well... or that you're a light geek. ;-)
    Last edited by eh4; 04-20-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by eh4 View Post
    Fireclaw18, you're getting a light that is so good, you might well forget that you have a light on your head.
    I forget about my MK II all the time when using it for extended periods of time.
    The biggest downside of these reflectorless lights, aside from their limited range, is that you can't really look to one side of someone and spare them most of the glare. If you can see their eyes, you're blasting them.

Holding down the switch to get to Low and tipping the light down when talking to someone is an easy habit though, besides you'll look all Sci-Fi and badass with the down facing low flood, and your effortless light management will make them inclined to think that you're extremely competent in untold other mysterious arts as well... or that you're a light geek. ;-)
    Looking forward to getting it.

I've been collecting flashlights for many years. I own dozens of flashlights and have modded a lot of them ... some with fairly ambitious mods (such as converting a 1xCR123 Sunwayman C10R into a triple XPL HI light powered by 1x18500).

But in all that time, I've only ever owned the one headlight. It was a $10 headlamp with aspheric zoom lens and runs off 1x18650. When I got the light I replaced the emitter with an XML2 5A2 on copper Noctigon and the driver with a 3-mode 1.5 amp driver.

This was a super-fast and sloppy mod. I didn't upgrade the thin driver wires. Not even sure I bothered to put AS5 thermal grease under the star. Yet despite the lack of time I put into this light it is actually my most used light... by far. It's the only light I own that I routinely run until it dims from the battery running too low. Usually I kept the aspheric zoom in flood mode for up-close work. Occasionally I would narrow the beam a bit if I needed more light on target. If I wanted max flood, I'd unscrew and remove the lens and just have the bare LED.

Unfortunately, the elastic in the headband on this cheapie wore out. And surprisingly the light is no longer available. 5 years ago generic cheapies that looked like my modded light were everywhere. Now they aren't available from anywhere. I've been using it with a Zebralight headband installed as a replacement. But it's not a great solution as my cheapie light is a bit bigger than the Zebra. The result is it works, but the band is too tight so can't easily tilt the light up and down.

Since I use my headlamp so much I decided it was time to get a "real" headlamp. I'm also quite impressed with my last two Zebralight flashlights (SC64w and SC600w IV Plus).
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 04-21-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Fireclaw18, when is that thing supposed to arrive?

Fireclaw18, when is that thing supposed to arrive?
    Actually just arrived today. Can't test it yet though. At work and no 18650s on hand.

Tried out my H604C last night.

Very impressive
    . As expected for a mule configuration I got an enormous wall of light with no visible hotspot and no throw. The 4000K color temperature looked great and the tint did not appear greenish at all. Having high-CRI for a light that I use for hobby projects and artwork is great.

Compared to my old modded $10 cheapie headlight
    (aspheric zoomie with 4000K XML2 5A2 and generic 3-mode 1.5 amp Nanjg 105C driver):
    * The intensity of the Zebra's output at max turbo looked similar to the cheapie at full power. Except the cheapie's output was in a small circle, while the Zebra's was a gigantic wall of light and had better color rendering.
    * The Zebra is significantly smaller and lighter and feels much more comfortable on the head.
    * The cheapie is not affected by heat and can maintain full brightness as long as the battery holds out. The temp sensor in the Zebra will cause the high settings to ramp down.
    * However, even with the rampdown, I still found the Zebra excellent for my needs. Much superior to the cheapie.

Also, none of the potential concerns I turned out to be problems
    :

* No Glare on reading glasses. With the wide angle beam and light source close to the head I was concerned that I might get glare on the reading glasses I sometimes use when doing fine-detail hobby work. Fortunately, in testing this was not the case. Tilting the light up enough works to get plenty of light on the target without the beam hitting the glasses.

* Not green. Having read the posts about the SC64C, I was concerned that the 604C might have an ugly greenish tint. Fortunately, this was not the case.

* Temp rampdown not too aggressive. I knew that this light would have rampdown. I was concerned because unlike with my EDC, I tend to use my headlamp for long periods of time. Sometimes an hour or more without turning it off. I worried that the rampdown combined with mule setup might result in too little light on my project after a few minutes. This also turned out not to be the case.

I like this light
    . It would be wonderful if they came out with an SC600c IV Plus that uses the same LED. The tint looks much better than my SC600w IV Plus.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 04-27-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Cool, Cool. Thanks for the good feedback.
    I wish they'd go ahead and post runtimes for their levels.
    I'm getting closer to getting one of these MK IV, probably have to take my own advice and get the flood and floody both.
    Although the MK II warm flood and floody are both serving well, that 4000K high CRI and greater efficiency sounds really appealing, and the programmability is extra icing.
    After having the MK II's for several years now, it'll be odd relegating them to spares, having great spares to lend out is half the fun though.

Flashaholic

^^ 👍👍👍

I received my first Zebralight headlamp yesterday, the H600Fc. I love the quality of light and the beam spread, but I have a few issues that make the light less than perfect:

1. The clip on it is not nearly as nice or practical as the one that comes with my
    SC600w IV Plus. The clip has a little ledge where is stands proud of the body of the light. It prevents my pants from going all the way to the end of the clip. Also on the ring of the light, it flairs out at the ends which is total unnecessary and creates an annoying bump. And finally, only one set of grooves in the light are flat where the clip fits well, the other grooves are rounded. The clip doesn't fit as well in those.

2. The rubber button is actually higher than the silver metal surrounding the button. It makes it more likely to turn on the light by accident and it also prevents the light from standing flat on its head. My switch on the SC600w is deeply recessed and I don't worry about turning it on accidently while being carried in my pocket with the clip.

3. I wish it had pogo pins in the tail cap instead of the spring.

^^^
    Good post. Many of us actually wish for springs instead of the pogo pins as the pins have been known to dent the ends of the cells. I have dents on the positive and negative ends of my cells.

So, the springs just may be a positive attribute of this light.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Surprisingly, the clip from the SC600w doesn't fit the headlamp, different body diameter. Are there any other clips that would fit the H600Fc? From another brand?

So, for the MK II version of the H600, the H model clip fits butt up or head up, with two flat slots that fit the clip either way.
    That's one of the shortcomings I am planning on dealing with with the MK IV, I'm hoping that the H style clip will fit well enough into the curve at the neck of the light, because carrying it head down in a pocket is not going to be acceptable.

I'm having trouble with programming the sub modes.

Right now my H1 = H2 = M2

After double clicking 6 times, each subsequent double click just made the light brighter. It never cycles back to low. So since I got H2 and M2 stuck on the highest setting, further double clicks after 6x double click does nothing.

Edit: What the hell? I think I got H1 = H2 = M1 = M2.

I thought M1 is not programmable?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I accidentally went into the G6 / G7 mode which is not listed in the accompanying manual.
    Last edited by ThunderCloud; 05-16-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCloud View Post
    I'm having trouble with programming the sub modes.

Right now my H1 = H2 = M2

After double clicking 6 times, each subsequent double click just made the light brighter. It never cycles back to low. So since I got H2 and M2 stuck on the highest setting, further double clicks after 6x double click does nothing.

Edit: What the hell? I think I got H1 = H2 = M1 = M2.

I thought M1 is not programmable?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I accidentally went into the G6 / G7 mode which is not listed in the accompanying manual.
    When you're in the programming mode, triple-click will bring you to a lower brightness mode.

I've found that a good way to dial in your settings is to go all the way to the lowest or highest mode, then double-click to go up or triple-click to go down down (respectively) to the desired level by keeping track of the amount of levels you've gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucklight View Post
    Surprisingly, the clip from the SC600w doesn't fit the headlamp, different body diameter. Are there any other clips that would fit the H600Fc? From another brand?
    I purchased this clip from Zebralight, before they made one available for the h60x models: http://www.zebralight.com/Pocket-Cli...H502_p_80.html

I actually prefer it to the one which came with my h604c, because it is smaller and more comfortable in my pocket. It's designed for their AA headlamps, but it has worked great on the 18650 models.

Flashaholic*

Cool, Cool. Thanks for the good feedback.
    I wish they'd go ahead and post runtimes for their levels.
    I'm getting closer to getting one of these MK IV, probably have to take my own advice and get the flood and floody both.
    Although the MK II warm flood and floody are both serving well, that 4000K high CRI and greater efficiency sounds really appealing, and the programmability is extra icing.
    After having the MK II's for several years now, it'll be odd relegating them to spares, having great spares to lend out is half the fun though.
    I was on the fence on these new MK IVs because even now Zebralight didn't have the runtimes posted. I also have/had a MK II (H602w) that served my needs quite well, but the combination of a recent painting job where i needed the Hi CRI and twistedbirds had me ordering a H604c and buying one of twistedraven's H600Fc he had up for sale. Still prefer the full flood for up close work (especially for things like the painting tasks), but i do see why people like the H600F lights. Still testing out the two differences between the lights to see what tasks are best suited by each light. Beam profile aside, I'm loving the hi CRI of both...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucklight View Post
    Armytek clips for their headlamps fit the Zebralight headlamps. Its about the only thing i'll tout about the Armytek headlamps...

I think that now that the issue of the Floody model lenses breaking more easily than non frosted glass is an old, defunct issue,
    -that the floody models seem to embody the best of what the right angle headlamp/24-7 pocket carry, general purpose light can be.

Beyond that I want a pocket thrower, preferably to go with the floody.

Pure flood remains my least favorite, it's so limited,
    yet also the only one that I regularly use for hours on end while rarely noticing.
    I'm not even aware of the nearly ideal flood except when the shadows are unfavorable,, while this light is actually making me money... which pays for the lights that I get all silly over.
    I'm sure there's some metaphors and analogies in there, but when something works really, really well, basically seamlessly, it tends to be taken for granted.
    Last edited by eh4; Yesterday at 12:35 AM.

Been using my H604c quite a bit for hobby work. It's really nice, but defnitely not perfect.

The wide flood beam starts off bright, but after a few minutes the PID kicks in and dims the output. Also, while overall lumens are good initially, intensity on my project isn't great because the beam is so spread out. My modded $10 cheapie easily produces more light on target at 1.5 amps than the Zebralight with pure flood does at 3 amps.

Because of this I tend to run my H604c at full power all the time, while I ran my old headlight at medium power, which was only around 500 mA. As a result I find myself having to change the battery much more often than my old light.

On the upside, it is much lighter weight than my old light so feels much better on the head. And the high-CRI beam is useful for hobby painting where having good color definition actually matters.

Overall the H604c does what I expected and I consider it a great light. I find myself reaching for it much more than my old headlight.

I just got tracking info for my 4000k H600Fc! I'll update when I've arrived and used it a bit. I was debating between this and the Armytek Wizard Pro.

Fireclaw18, the Fc versions deliver an egg curved cone of light that keeps maybe 70% of the intensity of the hotspot while spreading and smoothing the light across center of focus and into periphery.
    Fc is the one that stays in my pocket, my original spot&fill model is relegated to spare, and my pure flood stays in the headband and gets used for work.
    I got to use an AA powered Fc that I gave to a friend and it delivered good, usable light over a dinner plate size area at arms length with much less power than my pure flood 602w.
    If I were typically working on small projects in close areas then Fc would be just as good or better than full flood, messing with wiring, under a vehicle, etc.
    The pure flood is great for limited range spatial awareness, chaotic work environments, but so wasteful when you need a task light on your head.
    The 602w really is my least favorite ZL, still the best one for wrapping up jobs in the dark, climbing ladders, avoiding head bumps and finding tools.
    When I get a 600Fc MK IV I'll try the old 600Fw MK II as a work headlight again, it's too good though as a pocket light to keep putting the headband on and off, especially with the pocket clip complicating the headband attachment process.
    Last edited by eh4; Today at 12:10 PM.

Also, my 600Fc works fine for short duration hands free use, I'll hold it with my teeth by the pocket clip, in the style of 007/sci-fi pocket scuba, and can still mumble intelligibly if need be.
    The ergonomics are good, it's really convenient to have hands free light in 3-5 seconds any number of times a day without a bulky headband. If I need hands-free for more than a few minutes or I'm climbing around and worried about losing my teeth, then I get the headlight.
    Last edited by eh4; Today at 12:23 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678