Angryfox        

Thread: 6054 options

Default 6054 options

Bought a 1992 Toyota pickup. Looking at GE Nighthawks. Are they any good or what else is out there?

Default Re: 6054 options

Quote Originally Posted by hsa View Post
    Bought a 1992 Toyota pickup. Looking at GE Nighthawks. Are they any good or what else is out there?
    If money just weren't an object, the J.W. Speaker Model 8900.

For sealed beams, the GE Night Hawk H6054NH is what you want.

I knew the JW speaker were good but I just can't afford that. I'll go for the nighthawk. Thanks for the reply.

I knew the JW speaker were good but I just can't afford that. I'll go for the nighthawk. Thanks for the reply.
    There might be other non-Speaker options that would be slightly cheaper, like from Truck-Lite-- how much are you willing to spend?

Right now I am spending money on shoulder therapy to try and avoid surgery but I will re-visit this when I see how things turn out. I certainly apreciate the advice and help though.
    Thanks
    Harry

Right now I am spending money on shoulder therapy to try and avoid surgery
    Ouch. Hopefully you can avoid the surgery, both for the monetary reasons and the surgery reasons.

One thing to keep in mind that it's a '92, that wiring may be a bit degraded (a voltage drop test should be done to prove that). You might need to install relays to deliver the voltage those halogens need.

The GE Nighthawk is the cheapest good option. The JW Speaker is a great product and priced accordingly.

A middle of the road option is the famous Hella E-Codes. About $100 or so for the pair.

I will do the voltage test. Is the factory relay too light duty? The truck has been garaged and has 75,000 miles on it.

Hella "E-codes" may be "famous" in terms of how often they're mentioned in knowledge-free internet chatterboxing, but they are not a good option. Their performance is (objectively) poor on low beam, and they have an obnoxious focus issue (low beams too low or high beams too high, you can't have both beams placed optimally). Be careful out there; there is a massive amount of garbage on the market. If you want replaceable-bulb headlamps but have to stick to a budget, the Hella Vision Plus (SAE, not "E-code") is a much better choice. Equip them with these bulbs and aim them in accordance with the VOL specification as per this page.

I will do the voltage test. Is the factory relay too light duty? The truck has been garaged and has 75,000 miles on it.
    At that age, corrosion will have occured by now (the 75,000 miles will have introduced mechanical degradation of the wiring and terminations)-- and even brand new it might not have had as effective wiring as it could have. A new relayed wiring set solves both potential issues.

From a performance perspective, how do the Hella Vision Plus units compare to the Nighthawks?

Longer seeing distance with the Night Hawks, but wider and more even coverage across the width of the road, and an easier time driving in bad weather, with the Vision Plus. Also the VP is easier to aim, and in the long run the VP is more cost-effective than the NH.