Fitorch        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47

Thread: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

  1. #1

    Default SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I am strongly considering one of these lights... I have many Zebralights, but nothing larger than the SC62... I would like another ZL for backyard use that has more reach and output than my SC62w.

    I am starting this thread specifically for comparison between these two lights... hopefully once people have them in-hand we can get some good comparison beamshots.

    The overall output of the Plus is staggering, but the HI might be more useful if it has significantly more throw... also, the potentially quick stepdown of the Plus might make it even less interesting.

    I don't suppose ZL publishes lux data somewhere?

  2. #2

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Zebralight does not publish lux data, but I doubt the MK4 Plus will throw much more than the SC62w. The XHP50.2 is a largish led, while the XHP35 HI in the HI with its flat dome will have a tighter beam.

  3. #3

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I'm aware of the physics behind the ability of the smaller LED to throw further than the larger LED within the same reflector... But could it possibly be true that the MKIV Plus will not throw much further than my SC62w? I would think the amount of lumens and larger reflector of the IV Plus would reach out further...
    Last edited by holygeez03; 11-10-2017 at 07:23 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    These are all zebralights we're talking about, the difference in throw will probably be like 10k cd vs 12k cd vs 18k cd. The differences are small.

    If you want a light with some throw you should look elsewhere.

  5. #5

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    These are all zebralights we're talking about, the difference in throw will probably be like 10k cd vs 12k cd vs 18k cd. The differences are small.

    If you want a light with some throw you should look elsewhere.
    Yes, see this often, small light with throw. Just can't have both. Emisar D1 might be one to look at for decent size and throw.

  6. #6

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I have dedicated throwers (large and small)... I am specifically considering one of these two ZL models to replace my SC62w for certain tasks... based on the way I use the SC62w, I can afford to use a somewhat larger light, as long as it has significantly more output and throw than the SC62w... then I will use the 62 for tasks that take advatage of its compactness.

    There is no need to recommend different lights to me... or to let me know that the SC600 is not a "thrower".
    Last edited by holygeez03; 11-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic Jose Marin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Sc600 mk3 hi i measured 20kcd not too bad for it's size. I imagine the mk4 will be 25kcd or maybe more if they go with a smooth reflector
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 11-10-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

    Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

  8. #8

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    These are all zebralights we're talking about, the difference in throw will probably be like 10k cd vs 12k cd vs 18k cd. The differences are small.

    If you want a light with some throw you should look elsewhere.
    Yes, see this often, small light with throw. Just can't have both. Emisar D1 might be one to look at for decent size and throw.

  9. #9

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    I have dedicated throwers (large and small)... I am specifically considering one of these two ZL models to replace my SC62w for certain tasks... based on the way I use the SC62w, I can afford to use a somewhat larger light, as long as it has significantly more output and throw than the SC62w... then I will use the 62 for tasks that take advatage of its compactness.

    There is no need to recommend different lights to me... or to let me know that the SC600 is not a "thrower".

    As someone who has dedicated throwers and knows the physics of lighting, I'm sure you're aware that the slightly larger SC600 host with the slightly larger XHP50.2 will not throw "significantly" more than your SC62w. The output may or may not be "significantly" more either. For what it's worth, I consider 2000 lumens barely brighter than 1000 lumens when I shine the two outputs side by side.

  10. #10

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Well, that is one of the main questions... will the SC600 IV Plus, with more than double the overall output, but larger emitter, provide more lux than the SC62w?

    If yes, then I am still deciding between the Plus and HI... how much more lux is the HI vs. Plus?

    If no, then the Plus is probably out and I need to decide if the IV HI will be what I want...

    I realize none of these questions can be well answered until the lights are in user's hands... but wanted to start the discussion now.

  11. #11

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say the Plus will slightly out-throw your SC62, and the HI slightly outthrow the Plus. All the Zebralights are pretty similar in size and output so it's not like there will be any big differences.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    As someone who has dedicated throwers and knows the physics of lighting, I'm sure you're aware that the slightly larger SC600 host with the slightly larger XHP50.2 will not throw "significantly" more than your SC62w. The output may or may not be "significantly" more either. For what it's worth, I consider 2000 lumens barely brighter than 1000 lumens when I shine the two outputs side by side.
    There should be a pretty noticeable difference if you are actually comparing 2000 to 1000 lumens. Even with humans non-linear perception of light 2000 lumens will still appear roughly 25% brighter then 1000 lumens. A 25% increase in perceived brightness is pretty significant imo.

  13. #13

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Is an HI version of the XHP50.2 not an option because of the multi-die design?

    I am leaning toward the MKIV HI... the 5-step tint deviation is a little concerning. Hopefully once these start shipping the tint report are good...

    I am still curious to see the beam profile of the Plus with the improved XHP50.2 emitter and clear lens.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say the Plus will slightly out-throw your SC62, and the HI slightly outthrow the Plus. All the Zebralights are pretty similar in size and output so it's not like there will be any big differences.
    I think that's a fair assumption.

    The Plus is quite a bit higher in output then the HI but, it has a 14 degree spot angle vs the HI's 8 degree. That means the Plus's hot spot will be almost twice as large at a given distance when compared to the HI. The Plus is quite a bit higher in output however so, it will make up some of the throw distance by brute force. Either way, both will likely out throw your SC62w and the Plus will be a lot brighter overall. The HI will likely have the furthest throw but, will have a significantly dimmer spill compared to the Plus. If you want max throw, I would get the HI and if you want max brightness, I would get the Plus.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Is an HI version of the XHP50.2 not an option because of the multi-die design?

    I am leaning toward the MKIV HI... the 5-step tint deviation is a little concerning. Hopefully once these start shipping the tint report are good...

    I am still curious to see the beam profile of the Plus with the improved XHP50.2 emitter and clear lens.
    It is likely an option but, is not made in factory form right now. The XHP35 has a HI version and it is a multi-die design.

    Although the HI has a higher tint deviation, the HI emitters tend to have a more even tint across the beam(from spot to spill). Most people who have the MKIII version seam to be happy with the tint but, the tint lottery is always at play.

    The beam profile of the Plus will have the largest hotspot of the non-frosted lens models at 14 degrees. I can post a pic when I get mine if you want to wait.

  16. #16

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Yeah... considering my SC62w is already performing adequately... if the Plus can out-throw it just a bit, while providing more than double the total output, it is still a candidate... so it may come down to the time before the stepdown kicks in on the Plus... and how the beam looks considering the multi-die emitter... and the 3-step tint deviation on the Plus inspires confidence.

    I wonder why ZL chose the 5-step tint deviation on the XHP35 HI... there is a 3-step available, right? Too expensive?

  17. #17
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Yeah... considering my SC62w is already performing adequately... if the Plus can out-throw it just a bit, while providing more than double the total output, it is still a candidate... so it may come down to the time before the stepdown kicks in on the Plus... and how the beam looks considering the multi-die emitter... and the 3-step tint deviation on the Plus inspires confidence.

    I wonder why ZL chose the 5-step tint deviation on the XHP35 HI... there is a 3-step available, right? Too expensive?
    Yeah, there are a lot of unknowns with the Plus as it is a new model using a new emitter. We will know soon though.

    No, there is only a 5-step 4500K available.

  18. #18

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Well, that's good to know... can't be mad at ZL then...

    Can someone please order the MKIV Plus and the HI and post lots of comparison beamshot photos ASAP? Including a SC62w for comparison would be even more awesome!

  19. #19
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Well, that's good to know... can't be mad at ZL then...

    Can someone please order the MKIV Plus and the HI and post lots of comparison beamshot photos ASAP? Including a SC62w for comparison would be even more awesome!
    I am sure quite a few people that have a MKIII HI or are getting a MKIV HI will be getting the Plus but, you are going to have to wait about a month as these new models don't start shipping until Nov. 30.

  20. #20

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Yeah, I know... I really want to pre-order one, but I just can't decide which will be better for my use... maybe a few will ship out early!

  21. #21
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Yeah, I know... I really want to pre-order one, but I just can't decide which will be better for my use... maybe a few will ship out early!
    Well, are most of your uses up close of further away? Because people have complained that the HI has too tight of a hotspot for up close tasks.

    Personally, I find a floodier beam with a wider/less defined hotspot is much better for most general EDC tasks but, this is subjective of course.
    Last edited by Tachead; 11-11-2017 at 11:58 AM.

  22. #22
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    680

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    For me, being sensitive to tint means I’d weigh getting a 2 or 3 deviation above a 5 ones, as pretty significant.

    Two quick thoughts here:

    Even if others are good, this is a lottery. I’m not sure how much of an indication others experience really is, and what’s a good tint is too subjective. Even if they’re happy, that doesn’t guarantee you’d be happy with the same tint.

    Think about manufacturing and tint binning. They probably don’t set out “today we’ll make some crappy tints”.

    My concern is that if they can move all the inventory they can make, then they’d look at each tint, and prefer dumping a LED into a 2/3-step if possible. If everything sells, that could cause a situation where all 5-step are outside the 2/3-ellipse. Otherwise they’d dump it in the better bin.

    I’m *not* saying that’s how it is, just that it’s a concern I’d have. If they make far more that would qualify as 2/3 than they can move, this might be a non-issue.

  23. #23

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I think it will come down to whether or not the Plus has at least a noticeable improvement in throw over the SC62w and as long as the step-down isn't too quick... I will probably go with the Plus... but I certainly don't want to go backwards or even laterally in terms of throw compared to my SC62w.

    And as long as the Plus has good tint reports and no donut-hole...

  24. #24
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    I think it will come down to whether or not the Plus has at least a noticeable improvement in throw over the SC62w and as long as the step-down isn't too quick... I will probably go with the Plus... but I certainly don't want to go backwards or even laterally in terms of throw compared to my SC62w.

    And as long as the Plus has good tint reports and no donut-hole...
    I highly doubt the Plus will throw less then your SC62w. Even though it has a larger emitter, it is in a considerably larger reflector and has almost 2.5X the output(2300 vs 930 lumens). It also has quite a bit more thermal mass and a higher efficiency emitter and driver so, at the same output it should run longer before stepping down.

  25. #25

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    That's what I'm hoping... and would finally tempt me to get a SC600 to add to my ZL collection.

    I realize it has a lot more mass and higher efficiency, but with that much juice being pulled on H1, I would think the quick step-down could be an issue?

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    May I ask why you don't just get both the HI and Plus? You could always sell your 62w to help cover the costs. And, if you absolutely hate one of the two you could return it for a refund or exchange at just the loss of a small amount of postage.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    That's what I'm hoping... and would finally tempt me to get a SC600 to add to my ZL collection.

    I realize it has a lot more mass and higher efficiency, but with that much juice being pulled on H1, I would think the quick step-down could be an issue?
    Yes, it will likely step down rather quickly on its highest mode just like most ZL's. I would guess less then 60 seconds.

  28. #28

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I will be keeping my SC62w... it's one of my favorite lights... but it would be better served elsewhere due to its compact size... I have been looking into a SC600 for a long, long time for general backyard duty... but they never provided enough advantage over my SC62w to justify the cost... I'm hoping one of the MK IV's will change that.

    I will likely try the Plus... and if for some reason it doesn't impress, or has tint, donut-hole, or step-down issues... I will return it and consider trying the HI... or just keep waiting.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    I will be keeping my SC62w... it's one of my favorite lights... but it would be better served elsewhere due to its compact size... I have been looking into a SC600 for a long, long time for general backyard duty... but they never provided enough advantage over my SC62w to justify the cost... I'm hoping one of the MK IV's will change that.

    I will likely try the Plus... and if for some reason it doesn't impress, or has tint, donut-hole, or step-down issues... I will return it and consider trying the HI... or just keep waiting.
    Sounds like a good plan👍

  30. #30

    Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

    I will probably pre-order a Plus this week or next...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •