NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

Default Re: SC600 MKIV Plus vs HI

I'm re-activating this thread to see if anyone has more comparisons now that the lights are in the wild...

Preferably an outdoor beamshot comparison (using the same camera settings).
    Last edited by holygeez03; 12-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.

One more bump to see if we can get some good comparisons... or are users with both lights in-hand still scarce?

I have a SC600 Mk IV 18650 XHP35 Cool White which has a single die. Why can't that be "de-domed" for a tighter and apparently brighter beam than the neutral white (unless one prefers neutral white)?

Brightnorm

Quote Originally Posted by brightnorm View Post
    I have a SC600 Mk IV 18650 XHP35 Cool White which has a single die. Why can't that be "de-domed" for a tighter and apparently brighter beam than the neutral white (unless one prefers neutral white)?

Brightnorm
    XHP35 is a quad-die emitter, just like the XHP50.
    You could try dedoming it. Sometimes dedoming produces very slightly higher throw than buying the "HI" version of an emitter. However, there are a couple problems with this:

(1) Dedomed CREE emitters almost universally have a horrible greenish tint. The HI emitters have virtually the same throw with enormously superior tint.
    (2) Zebralights are incredibly hard to mod. The emitter and driver are on the same board. You can't simply desolder a couple wires, pull out the star and do the dedome. Good luck trying to dedome the emitter.

I would really like to try the Hi version because my sc64 is too floody but I have read many people returned theirs or didn't like it.

Of course none are in stock
    Last edited by recDNA; 03-08-2018 at 05:43 PM.

I have a MK IV HI on order from Zebralight, but it's a neutral tint. In fact, it appears that for some reason all the latest "Hi" Zebralights are neutral tint. Despite the neutral's superior CRI, I prefer cool white, which appears brighter which is important for my degraded eyesight. Also, under a 5x magnifying glass the XHP35 appears to have a single dome, but I may not have been able to see correctly.

Thanks for that detailed explanation.

Brightnorm
    Last edited by brightnorm; 03-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.

I have a MK IV HI on order from Zebralight, but it's a neutral tint. In fact, it appears that for some reason all the latest "Hi" Zebralights are neutral tint. Despite the neutral's superior CRI, I prefer cool white, which appears brighter which is important for my degraded eyesight. Also, under a 5x magnifying glass the XHP35 appears to have a single dome, but I may not have been able to see correctly.

Brightnorm
    XHP has 4 dies very close together. You can see the "plus" shape showing the lines between the dies going through the center of the emitter on the pictures on pages 35 and 36 of CREE's datasheet on the XHP35.

Brightnorm
    I'm waiting until the Hi is in stock to order it. I just hope I can tolerate its wider body and head in my pocket. I am used to carrying the 62 and now the 64.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I'm waiting until the Hi is in stock to order it. I just hope I can tolerate its wider body and head in my pocket. I am used to carrying the 62 and now the 64.
    I find it's great for a coat pocket; not so much for pants pocket. It does carry well if you clip it to the outside of your pocket, though. Or perhaps clipped to the inside if your pockets are loose.

That said, the design of the clip, the way it sits against the body knurling, isn't so great. They have much better designs in other models, where the clip rested on a smooth part. No idea why they didn't do that with the SC600w MkIV HI.

I really like the HI. But I think too many people are overlooking the standard SC600 IV. The Plus seems too specific given the stepdown and floodiness, unless you absolutely have to have that. But he beam pattern of the SC600 IV is a nice in-between, just a good basic flashlight in general. I still contemplate it from time to time, but with an SC64w and SC600 HI, I just don't need it.
    GOOD TINT!

Based on my experience with the SC62w, and assuming the SC64w is even better... I just can't see the standard SC600 IV differentiating itself from the SC64. I could be wrong...

What I really want is a SC600w IV Plus with a bigger or deeper head/reflector... I feel like that would be an amazing light and still very compact.

Or if the standard SC600w IV were pushing ~2000 lumens...

Quote Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
    Based on my experience with the SC62w, and assuming the SC64w is even better... I just can't see the standard SC600 IV differentiating itself from the SC64. I could be wrong...
    100% different from what I remember. Unfortunately it was long enough ago I could be wrong, but when I was comparing them at work down a long storage room, there was really no comparison. The hotspot and throw from the 600 was very different. The specs are similar, but I never put much faith into those based on experience.
    GOOD TINT!

Screw it... the IV HI is back in stock... I will order one and see what it's like... I have always been curious and was hoping that the IV HI would have much better specs than the MKIII... then the IV HI specs were somewhat disappointing and the Plus was announced.

If I'm not impressed... maybe I will return/sell the Plus and the HI... and try the standard MKIV.

I received my HI yesterday and tested it a little against my Plus... at the moment, I think I made the right choice for my purposes and will stick with the Plus.

The HI definitely has a tighter hotspot and the profile is closer to my SC62w, with way more intensity. But the intensity is not that much better than the Plus for me to accept the narrower beam.

Again, this is just for my purposes and both lights appear to be as described and both are impressive. But the HI will probably be going back.

I just noticed that the IV HI is on backorder again... I am about to send mine back to ZL since I decided to keep the Plus... I could just as easily send it to someone else if they need one soon... PM me if interested.

Enlightened

I had the SC600w Mk II L2 and now bought the SC600 IV Hi. I always wished the Zebra had a bit more throw and I am very happy with the new Hi. Its beam spot is much stronger and more white than the SC600 Mk II which I always liked. But the Hi is clearly superior.
    LedLenser M1, Zebralight SC600w Mk IV Hi, Fenix CL25R camping light

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    These are all zebralights we're talking about, the difference in throw will probably be like 10k cd vs 12k cd vs 18k cd. The differences are small.

If you want a light with some throw you should look elsewhere.
    I just took my Fenix Tk41 out of it's box for the first time in 2.5 years recently, and rediscovered it's decent throwing ability(for an 870L light). Its got a tight hot spot, and it's very tough and well made. Unfortunately it's also big, heavy and doesn't come with a holster. These days you can get a higher output light that throws better, that's also significantly smaller and lighter. Ahh, now I remember why it stayed in its box for 99.9% of the time I've owned it since 2012! I'm not even clear on why I bought it to begin with...
    Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12