RMSK, Inc.        

View Poll Results: 67 Lumens (One Month) vs. 154 Lumens (Two Weeks)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • 67 Lumens (One Month)

1 50.00%
  • 154 Lumens (Two Weeks)

1 50.00%

Thread: Ceiling Bounce Lumens: 67 Lumens (One Month) vs. 154 Lumens (Two Weeks)

Default Ceiling Bounce Lumens: 67 Lumens (One Month) vs. 154 Lumens (Two Weeks)

I will be powering a neutral, 80CRI Cree XM-L2 with either a 150mA or 350mA driver.

I've done the math, and at an estimated five hours of use per night in an emergency lighting scenario,
    my battery of two cells in series will net me somewhere around 67 lumens for one month or 154 lumens for two weeks,
    again, at five hours per night in either scenario.

I already have the host, LED, cells, and both a 150mA and 350mA buck driver.

Which way would you go?

67 ceiling bounced lumens is enough for a bathroom, but, in my opinion, not really enough for a living room or kitchen.

One month of runtime does sound pretty darn cool; however, my guess is that if we don't have power for a whole month,
    there are much, much larger issues to worry about.

Two weeks at 154 lumens is only half the time, but, it is more than twice as bright.
    In the past, I have regretted going too dim and wished for more light.

What do you guys think?

Which way would you go?

I'm learning towards 154 lumens for two weeks. :-)
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Default Re: Ceiling Bounce Lumens: 67 Lumens (One Month) vs. 154 Lumens (Two Weeks)

It comes down to the number of people/area you're lighting for; if it's just you, 67 lumens over where you're sitting is fine, but once there are other people around you, or you're expecting to ambiently light a space you're moving around in, that 154 lumens will come in handy.

Default Re: Ceiling Bounce Lumens: 67 Lumens (One Month) vs. 154 Lumens (Two Weeks)

Ive found at nightfall when Im busiest I need the higher lumens and as Im winding down I use less
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Thank you for your responses!

Is there anything more efficient around 3700K4000K (power in vs. lumens out) at 80CRI than the XM-L2 T5 emitter?
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 11-12-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    Thank you for your responses!

Is there anything more efficient around 3700K4000K (power in vs. lumens out) at 80CRI than the XM-L2 T5 emitter?
    Two of them .... in parallel.

Seems like a waste though. Odds are you will forget to charge the battery, or someone leaves the light on, etc. etc. If you are serious about backup, then redundancy is what is important. Two lights, two sets of batteries, ways to charge them.

copy.

I can't find anything that pumps out more lumens at 80CRI than the XM-L2 T5.

This is going to be part of a series of three lanterns:

1) Lantern One

67 lumens
    Frosted/diffused globe

12 nights at five hours per night (most likely a lot less...this is good to light up a bathroom or to use before bed)

2) Lantern Two = This Lantern = Ceiling Bounce

154 lumens
    Two weeks runtime at five hours per night

3) Lantern Three

217 lumens
    Ceiling bounce
    20 nights runtime at five hours per night