What's the capacity of an alkaline D-cell?

Raymond

Enlightened
What\'s the capacity of an alkaline D-cell?

I checked some websites, but couldn't find this info.

What is the capacity of an alkaline, good quality D-cell? 10000mah or something? Or less?

I'm winning an auction tomorrow (yeah, I'm confident :p ) for some C-cells and am thinking about adding some D-cells to that purchase. That store has some nice 9500 mah D-cells for sale, for 7 euroos. Can't decide if it's worth the expense, since these won't see much use. (alkalines keep their charge longer)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the capacity of an alkaline D-cell?

9500mah D cells? Where did you get that information? I do know what at low current draws, of maybe 1 ma, D cells have a capacity of 18 AH. That capacity drops drastically as you draw more current. But you should be getting at least 5 AH at 500ma. And yesh, alkalines keep their charge longer than non lithium rechargables.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the batteries section of Quickbeams site (3/4 of the way to the bottom of the page here) it is 18000 mAh.

-Mike

Raymond

Enlightened

nerd:
http://www.newtecs.de/pd-969441582.htm?categoryId=0

I think I'll pass on the D-cell nimh's and just put in alkalines. Nothing more frustrating than a light with half-empty batteries (I don't use it that often)
With 18000mah, I get more runtime too (I use them alkalines optimised for high power applications)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those mAH ratings on Alkies are usually for moderate to low (unreasonably low in my opinion) current drains. Even the ones that claim to be designed for high power applications. Biggest contributor is the relatively high internal resistance of this chemistry. But for things that sit around mostly unused, Alkies are still the way to go over NiMH or Nicad.

Tweek

Enlightened

Energizer rates their D cells at 18000mAH, at 25mA drain, to .8 volts. That's a really low draw, like you'd drive a single white 5mm with. Now, start sucking 1A out of these, and they'll barely give up half that 18AH rating, whereas that 9-11AH ni-mh cell will laugh at your puny 1A load and deliver it's whole capacity, charge after charge.

BTW, it's really easy to get all the tech info for any battery Energizer makes. Just go to Energizer's Page, click on technical information, and devour the wealth of information available... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

Raymond

Enlightened

yep, and on ebay.de they're even less (same batteries, same store)