Zebralight in Australia?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Hey guys

Visiting Australia over the holidays. I hope to own a Zebralight, something like a SC63 or something (nice and floody with big runtimes).

Are they available from an online store there? Or is it always a matter of having to import it yourself?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decent flashlights in Australia are limited to a few online sellers. Usually Fenix, Nitecore and maybe a few other Chinese brands. Expect to pay the currency exchange rate plus another 50-80% for goodness knows what. The most popular 'high end' lights are LED LENSER. Funny to watch your friends brag about their awesome bright LED LENSER and then you totally shame them with a single 18650 light of some description.

I don't buy local. Pretty much everything comes from either USA or sometimes Kaidomain, but their stock is limited and usually dated.

Visiting a local camping store I noticed a Fenix EO5 for sale. Had to check the price tag twice as it said...$89!!!

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I've only seen one online shop that sells Zebralight. As Jash has said, the 'high end' lights most brick and mortar shops offer is Led Lenser. Your only other options tend to be previous generation Maglites or plastic unknown brand torches.

The online retailers offer far more selection but you have to pay the exchange rate plus the 'Australia tax' which adds a premium to almost anything you buy here, even games or music that involve no physical product or staff member who needs a salary.

Online retailers start to get really expensive depending on brand. I've seen Surefire P1Rs and Streamlight Stinger HLs quoted at $450-$470 Australian and you are still required to buy a plug adaptor so the charger works!!!

As an example of price:

Zebralight SC600w MKIII 18650 XHP35 - $164.95. They retail online for $89US which is only $117 Australian.

Hopefully when Amazon opens their doors here they will offer an alternative to high local prices, second hand on eBay or importing direct and having to pay large postage costs and having to clear customs.

Is there any reason you want to order a light here rather than your hime country?

terjee

Enlightened
Luckily, Zebralight themselves offer upgraded shipping, such as EMS or DHL.
Seems like the way to go if you're in a hurry?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Thanks all for the replies.

Light prices are at even more of a premium over here, and shipping from overseas is risky at best. I've already "lost" a package (two lights!) to our 3rd world postal service, so not taking that chance again.

We're activating our permanent residency visas in Aus this December so I thought I'd start getting to know the stores etc.

Thanks again. When I'm over there full time I'll order from ZL directly.