Olight PL-2 Valkyrie-Not so happy!

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
So after reading reviews and seeing a couple youtube videos, I jumped on a PL-2 from Amazon.

I will say that I love the UI and it's MUCH brighter than my StreamLight TRL-1 HL, when it stays at the maximum brightness.

The issue I'm having is that it almost immediately drops down in brightness once I turn it on. I thought battery voltage might be the reason, but both sets of batteries I'm trying are 2.9 volts on my cheap Radio Shack voltmeter. I tried calling Olight customer service but that was a dead end.

I guess I'm posting so I can get the collective opinion from the group: is it worth it to return and try again, or should I just say screw it and buy something that I have positive history with?

Anyone have any thoughts? I did start some searching to see if this is happening to others, but it's hard since how you refer to this could vary from person to person.

Regards,

Todd

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
Well, this was for a G20 that had a primary purpose for out of doors use. I figured the additional brightness would help in the dark woods. I already ended up returning it and bought another TRL-1 HL. I have two of these, plus an old TRL-1, and they are rock solid. I shoot in a league with the TRL-1 HL and have hundreds of rounds through the gun with the light and the light works everytime.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this was for a G20 that had a primary purpose for out of doors use. I figured the additional brightness would help in the dark woods. I already ended up returning it and bought another TRL-1 HL. I have two of these, plus an old TRL-1, and they are rock solid. I shoot in a league with the TRL-1 HL and have hundreds of rounds through the gun with the light and the light works everytime.

Oh ok. Yeah, the Olight is brighter for sure but, I don't think that it is worth trading the battle proven reliability of the TLR series for a bit of extra brightness. Personally, the only light I would consider other then the TLR series is one of Surefire's X-300 series. They are a bit less bright then the TLR-1 HL but, offer a different beam pattern(reflector based) so will likely throw more and appear about the same brightness. And, they are supposed to be very reliable and well built as well. This video has a comparison of the TLR-1, TLR-1 HL, and X-300U but, only at close range. Skip to 1:40...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsaxyeXzI2U

Last edited:

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
Oh ok. Yeah, the Olight is brighter for sure but, I don't think that it is worth trading the battle proven reliability of the TLR series for a bit of extra brightness. Personally, the only light I would consider other then the TLR series is one of Surefire's X-300 series. They are a bit less bright then the TLR-1 HL but, offer a different beam pattern(reflector based) so will likely throw more and appear about the same brightness. And, they are supposed to be very reliable and well built as well. This video has a comparison of the TLR-1, TLR-1 HL, and X-300U but, only at close range. Skip to 1:40...

One nice thing too about the Olight is that it was so close in size and shape to the TRL-1 that it was compatible with TRL-1 holsters. It did in fact fit in my Safariland holster for my G19/TRL-1.

The Surefire is nice indeed, but quite a bit more. For a "couch commando" as myself (someone who doesn't work with a weaponlight) i think the TRL-1HL is a solid choice.

The long story short, while I love my Olight flashlights, their weapon lights still leave a little to be desired.