Longer lasting bulb tha KPR 112?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am very pleasedwith the way the mag 2c + 3x123 and kpr 112 turned out.

however, i am a bit concerned about bulb life. some statethat they only get about an hour (i think).

is there another bulb that is close in output, but will likely last longer?

Bob

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You could try a Xenon Star 6cell bulb.

A 6cell Krypton would be dimmer but longer lived, I suggest Xenon to get near the same brightness.

I would have already tried it, but you know how it is.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
The GH24 from reflectalite.com is very impressive.

It's rated at 6V/1.7A (10W) but overdriven by 3x123 it's probably pushing 14W+ and it is bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've been running one for a while now and have gone through 6 or 7 sets of batteries on the same lamp. I've even shaken, bumped and dropped the light while on and have not blown a GH24 yet.

Doesn't focus as tight as the KRP112 so throw may be a bit less, but it puts out a ton more light. Think of it as a "narrow flood" beam that still has loads of throw. Everyone who's seen my 2C/3x123/GH24 has been wowed by it.

It's possible the stock Mag reflector could be damaged on an extended run. I've heard it's safe to around 12W, so this lamp is pushing it a bit. I have run mine for several minutes at a time and haven't melted anything.

Run time at these current levels leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't actually timed mine, but I'd guestimate 30 minutes. 15 of bright, white light (the whitest incan you've ever seen); another 5-10 or so of very bright, but gradually yellowing light (still brighter than my PM6 or LX); then a rapid decline to darksville.

If you want a wide area flood beam, order the GH24F (frosted) version. Works really well with the Mag reflector. Bright hot spot with a gradual fall off to a wide and very smooth spill. Sort of a flood with a central peak. I run the GH24 in the light, but have a GH24F in the tail cap in case I need more of a flood beam. Just a quick switch and I'm good to go.

Went night diving Saturday at a beach that has a long downhill hike to get there, so I brought this along to light the way. From the top of the cliff the Mag out threw my UKE Light Canon HID light. I could look down into the water several hundred feet away and light up the reef. The HID light was whiter in color (of course) and put out more total light, but the modded Mag was still impressive in comparison.

'course, it's not waterproof, so once it was time to get wet the Mag went into the gear bag and the LC100 HID turned night into day below the waves. The Light Canon is mildly impressive out of water, but underwater it really rocks.

But that's a subject for another thread... so anyway, try the GH24 from Reflectalite on your 3x123 modded 2C. I think you'll be impressed. It's a very bright and fun combination. Just be sure to buy lots of batteries.

Aloha, iG

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweet.

i will order some other bulbs as well.

those halogens should work nicely in other applications. someone once mentioned they work VERY well in making 2d lights brighter.

Bob

illumiGeek

Enlightened
The GH88 (2.2V/1.9A) is very nice in 2 cell lights. Draws a lot of current though, so best with NiMh or Lithium AA (it drives very bright on NiMh). Alkaline D cell might be able to handle the 2A draw... don't know for how long though.

The lamps have a sharp shoulder and a nipple that creates some artifacts in the beam. A stippled reflector helps, but you still get some rings.

I've tried several of their lamps and the GH24 and GH88 are the real gems. Careful with the GH24 in a plastic host. I melted a dive light with one of those! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The 6V/1A (GH15?) might be a good alternative for someone needing long run times with a 2C/3x123 on the stock reflector. Haven't tested that lamp long term yet, but it should be more durable than the KPR112.

Aloha, iG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did some testing of the WA01183 4.7V, 3.85A, 18W bulb. The reflector sustains very minimal damage that did not affect the beam at all after 18 minutes. The stock lens, however, permanently distorts at just over 5 minutes.

Wilkey

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Thanks Wilkey. I've got a PMR on order, so once that arrives I won't have to worry. But it's nice to know the stock reflector is a little more robust than I thought. And since I'm using a UCL the lens is not a problem.

Now if I could just make it cheaper to run... $6/hour is getting to be a bit much, but it's so much fun I just can't stop.

I'm thinking of a rechargeable version. You happen to know if seven 1/2-D cells will fit in a 4D Mag (7x1/2D would be about 18mm longer than 4xD)? I know 6 will fit, but I thought I'd push it a bit harder since the lamp is holding up so well.

Aloha, iG