Acebeam        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life is too short to freak out about beat-up lights

Flashaholic*

Default Life is too short to freak out about beat-up lights

Not that I have a huge or very expensive collection but you value what you have. Every single device I have is dinged in some way - that is, with the exception of Hound Dog Super. It's perfect and like new. So I freak out about damaging it in some way. So far it stays at home as a museum piece.

My other Hound Dog, the XML2 model, was nearly perfect for a year until I placed it in the car seat. It rolled between the passenger's car seat and the car door. I opened the pass. door, hoping to catch it as it fell from the floor and it did so too fast for me to catch it and in the wrong spot, hitting the asphalt pavement beneath the car. There goes perfection. Now it's a perfect work light.
    I got another HD, used, and it's pretty much in the same condition. Works perfectly but dings here and there.

Then you come to accept battle scars.
    Malkoff Devices!

Default Re: Life is too short to freak out about beat-up lights

I hate seeing silver aluminium shine through on my black anodised lights.

ďCharacterĒ, pah. Iím the guy that takes a black sharpie to the silver spots to make them black again.

I also donít like scratches on my blades, although I have come to accept them for some of my knives. Rust spots are obviously a big no.

Sure life is short. I just cannot get myself to like the look of something dinged up. To me it doesnít look used, it looks neglected, like I didnít care about it.

Certain lights i would freak out about(bit of an exaggeration, but would not be happy about anyway). Certain lights i have got round it by having a dupe, so for example i like the 6p's. So i use one in work(i call it a beater, as it does get dropped,dinged,caught regular). If i am climbing metal ladders, it will be in my hand clanging up and down them as i hold the rail. Doing that with my precisionworks c2 would not make me happy! I am one of them who cleans their tools after use, everything in its place and all that. So i do look after my gear anyway(be it in my blood or OCD). The 1st ding does hurt, but after that i do relax and find i can enjoy my tools more if makes sense.

Other lights i have gone stainless , this way ano chips(key ring lights for example) are a none issue. I have gone through many ano key chain lights, their life tends to be around 6 months, as once they are super scruffy and really worn, i swap them for fresh. No need for stainless, even ti as fine scratches can be buffed out if need be.

Yes life is too short, too short for many things, but if i have invested a good deal, rely on it or a gift which has sentimental value. I do take extra care/pride in use, either babying it or not using it for certain applications that guarantee scuffs and scrapes.

I treat my rough and tumble lights as if they were porcelain. Can't help it. Even the ones with "Character" still get the white glove treatment. I chide myself for it, but to no avail.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I have used the heck out of my Hound Dog 18650 pretty much since they came out. It has seen some pretty rough days. I don't think I can post pics on here or I would. I had a different name on the forum, but I couldn't get it to work, so I just signed up with a new one, at least I can post now. I did get the crenelated bezel recently, so it is still fairly unscathed, but it doesn't match the rest of the light, but I like it.

Flashaholic

They are tools. They are not neglected, they donít care, they are used. This light is no more physically abused than Iíve been while holding it. Like me, itís hit concrete, I bleed and scar and repair, it doesnít. Rust on knives, it happens. Especially when working near salt water or CS gas. My s30v knives still corrode a bit from horrible environments. The rubber boot on the above is about worn smooth, much like the hikers I wear out every couple months. I donít know how many boxes of batteries this thing has eaten. But good stuff because it lasts and handles the use. This light has lasted through many a pairs of worn out pants.

As a rule I do not abuse my EDC lights, knives and other tools. Yet the inevitable "doink" is bound to happen. If it was a big deal they'd stay at home wrapped in bubble wrap, tucked in a climate controlled safe.

I did mistreat an Elzetta Alpha there at one point but I believe I heard it say "thank you, may I have another?" Idea there was throwing it under-hand knife throw tailcap first against a tree until it turned on. Then again until it turned off. The tree was none-too happy, but the Alpha seemed to like it.
    John 3:16
    "I'm still a Toys R Us kid" -PK

I try not bang up my handguns, flashlights or knives. I use them all....I just try not to drop them on concrete or bang them around too much. Some do get dinged...but I try not to!

It's hard to accept imperfections when you're obsessive over the things you really like. I'm like that with my car too though it's really not anything too special. I avoid parking next to people to avoid dings and dents, but in the end, some damage is inevitable from everyday driving. Same with flashlights. If you use them or carry them around, an imperfection is bound to happen.
    While I do admit I treat some of my lights like museum pieces locked away in a sealed box, some get the "duty use" treatment. It's not like I abuse them but I do accept that normal use will cause "wear and tear".

One thing that's important to always remember is that these lights are man-made tools. What that means is that they are replaceable and often with something even better as time progresses. If you have a limited edition product that's hard to replace then it justifies the "museum piece" treatment. If you still want to use it, then maybe get two; one for use and the other to save. Otherwise, it's often a relief to just use them as intended and accept that imperfections come with that. Again, in most cases, it's not like you can't replace it with something even better later on.

I have that will alot of new gadgets. You are really careful until the first ding, which really hurts. And afterwards I still really care for my stuff but I will use it as it was meant to be used. And at the end I think that all the dings and scratches tell a nice story, especially for my EDC flashlights ;-).
    My Lights (current EDC: Foursevens Mini MkII Titanium)

it's a balancing act, like balancing between all of the other extremes, significance - insignificance, etc.
    Minimize entropy so that as entropy inevitably occurs, its effects are minimized.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

If I really like a light/tool, I will buy two, one to use and one to put away and admire. Scratches and dings over a period of time are real live testaments to how durable said product is. I Have edc an Eastshine T25 for about a year now. I love the thing so much I bought a 2nd as well as 2 rechargeable versions (RT25) and they are still in the un opened boxes. ( mostly because the guys at my work ask about my light and usually want one)

Flashaholic*

CPF rule #999: No matter how carefully you treasure you light, eventually and inevitably it will get banged up against something and no longer remain in showroom condition.
    Malkoff Devices!

A&Q Moderator

Entropy is unstoppable. Over time both the user and tool will be dust. All that matters when it comes to a tool is the here and now. Is it there when needed. Did it do the job it was made for? That said I do understand gear collecting. So within that context the tool's job is to be a good safe queen.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    Entropy is unstoppable. Over time both the user and tool will be dust. All that matters when it comes to a tool is the here and now. Is it there when needed. Did it do the job it was made for? That said I do understand gear collecting. So within that context the tool's job is to be a good safe queen.
    I hear you. But. I want the tool to become dust only long after I do, ie it must be usable throughout my lifetime.

Flashaholic*

When they get too bad, i just dunk them in draincleaner to remove the ano, and polish the alu. Nice and shiny in minutes

Quote Originally Posted by jorn View Post
    When they get too bad, i just dunk them in draincleaner to remove the ano, and polish the alu. Nice and shiny in minutes
    Pictures or it hasn't happened.

I have, on more than one occasion, touched-up an EDC with a black sharpie; never the packaging it came in though. That would just be silly.

~ Cg
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

While that's certainly true for the user, it doesn't have to be the fate of the tool. No, not if it's well cared for. I have a wood chisel past from my grandfather to his son to me. I use it whenever it's needed and plan on passing it to my son then he to his and so forth.

I've collected over 100 flashlights; one of them is a BOSS 70. I told the boys, "If I should die suddenly, do what you want with all the lights, except this one. This one is to be handed down from father to son."

~ Cg
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I tend to feel the same way, generally...except when my $300 Aeon Mk III developed a nick in its deep indigo finish and aluminium is now showing through.

--------------------
    He is the light!

^ That, bltkmt, is hilarious! Well done, sir! If it's a picture of you, then it's truly an outstanding post!

~ Cg

Quote Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
    I try not bang up my handguns, flashlights or knives. I use them all....I just try not to drop them on concrete or bang them around too much. Some do get dinged...but I try not to!
    This.

I've noticed some people (usually on the internet) go out of their way to abuse their tools just for bragging rights. "Look! I'm a real user you measly collector!" I use all of my lights, and won't cry if they get dropped and get a little dinged up, but I do my best to make sure that doesn't happen.

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

I love my lights. Since I am stuck at home due to some medical/surgical issues, Sometimes I just handle and caress them, polish and the lube the O rings and threads. I used to only be indoors to eat & sleep and always on the go, outside the rest of the time. The bottom line is that as much as I like them, they are tools. Tools to be used and serve their intended purpose. The first time I drop or damage a brand new light, I cringe...and then think, oh well, now I don't have to care about it if it falls again. My Surefire's and Four Sevens have the highest mileage...many have hundreds of hours in aircraft from when I was a Chief Flight Nurse. Regardless of one scratch or a hundred, they are still well cared for. I recently discovered that Harbor Freight sells Apache Cases for less than $10. The container is larger than I need when transporting multiple lights, but it includes 4 sections of dark grey foam identical to the Pelican "Pick & Pluck". It fits in a cigar box quite well and in the case of my Four Sevens Preon lights can hold 18 lights. Or I could use the Apache case and have two levels of lights for a total of 36 lights...Cool.
    None of my lights are "Safe queens", although some have that appearance just because they have not yet seen enough field time(yet). Life is indeed too short to freak out about beat up lights....

Lots of poetic and thoughtful posts here ... good thread.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic

Just about every light I own has been bounced off the ground. I'm not overly happy when it happens but my lights are tools to be used. I've sold most of my collectibles and I buy "performance" lights because the pleasure of actually using them outweighs the annoyance I feel when they get dinged. While most of the nicks have been accidents I will admit to having tossed my HDS a couple times to show how solidly it's built.

I think the only lights I own that don't show signs of use are a couple that I haven't yet got around to using and my nightstand light. The carpeted bedroom floor probably has something to do with that. lol.

Dan
    I'm not quite as iliterate as my typos would suggest.

I was actually just about to start a thread about this tonight! I have come to realize that worn and weathered flashlights can look great too. Obviously if it's an extremely expensive custom or limited production light you want to keep it pristine, but I let go of the "shelf queen" mentality on roughly half of my collection a few years ago and actually started using the things. I will be taking photos of the worn looking ones to share with you all sometime this week. At the moment I have a couple of very nicely weathered Nitecores, a very well used and abused Fenix TK11* and a Bitz Pocket Titanium with a nice patina on it. I am also beginning to see the odd nick and scratch on some of my EDC Olights as well.

*The only flashlight that I have ever intentionally dropped or thrown on concrete, just to prove a point to someone almost 10 years ago. And the sucker took every bit of the beating in its stride, too. It lived in my toolbox for a long time, got battered around work sites, my garage and workshop a lot and looks awesome now. It is one of the toughest flashlights that I have ever owned.
    I now own too many lights to list in my signature! My current EDC favourites are a Nitecore SRT3 and Olight S1R.

Last night at work I opened my truck door and my flashlight fell out of my pocket. I thought of this thread.

Basically it was a light I'd rather not ding and had bought a silver version of it to hide scars yet the silver one ended up on my nightstand while the black one gets used at work...

Anyway, when I got back in my truck later I found it to be knick/ding free. That was my one "oops" I suppose... matter of fact after I hit send I'll swap the two from jacket pocket/nightstand to vice-versa.... changed my mind. Silver is easier to spot in low light so it stays on the nightstand...
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-21-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    John 3:16
    "I'm still a Toys R Us kid" -PK

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    While that's certainly true for the user, it doesn't have to be the fate of the tool. No, not if it's well cared for. I have a wood chisel past from my grandfather to his son to me. I use it whenever it's needed and plan on passing it to my son then he to his and so forth.

I've collected over 100 flashlights; one of them is a BOSS 70. I told the boys, "If I should die suddenly, do what you want with all the lights, except this one. This one is to be handed down from father to son."

~ Cg
    Even king Solomon's temple did not escape the ravages of time.

Even king Solomon's temple did not escape the ravages of time.
    Here's to hoping that your lights avoid being smashed, burned, stolen, and carried away...
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I hear you. But. I want the tool to become dust only long after I do, ie it must be usable throughout my lifetime.
    I want that too but don't often get my way. There is always more tools but only one life. Tonight I am going night hiking and might cook some bacon in the woods. There are bears so will bring bear spray. There are cliffs to fall off and rocks to trip over. I will bring a headlamp and flashlight so not to stumble. My ancestors brought fire to deal with those exact issues. I will also bring some warm clothing. If any of that gear gets damaged or lost that is the price of admission IMHO. I buy good tools so they work when needed but one never knows what the night will bring.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Here's to hoping that your lights avoid being smashed, burned, stolen, and carried away...
    LOL! Those are distinct possibilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast