Foxfury Scout        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life is too short to freak out about beat-up lights

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Life is too short to freak out about beat-up lights

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Last night at work I opened my truck door and my flashlight fell out of my pocket. I thought of this thread.

Basically it was a light I'd rather not ding and had bought a silver version of it to hide scars yet the silver one ended up on my nightstand while the black one gets used at work...

Anyway, when I got back in my truck later I found it to be knick/ding free. That was my one "oops" I suppose... matter of fact after I hit send I'll swap the two from jacket pocket/nightstand to vice-versa.... changed my mind. Silver is easier to spot in low light so it stays on the nightstand...
    I wear cargo pants with an extra set of pockets below primary pockets, they have a neat storage for a light.

very discreet and no more falls.

check out Vertx VTX1000 series.
    Malkoff Devices!

Thanks etc.

At night I wear reflective trousers over my regular pants. Regulations by my company.
    John 3:16
    " If you can see on & off engraved on it you don't need a flashlight" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    Even king Solomon's temple did not escape the ravages of time.
    The ravages of time had nothing to do with the demise of Solomon's temple.

~ Cg
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Here's to hoping that your lights avoid being smashed, burned, stolen, and carried away...
    Exactly.

~ Cg
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Thanks etc.

At night I wear reflective trousers over my regular pants. Regulations by my company.

What you get up to with Mrs Fixer behind closed doors is no business of ours.
    P
    I'm looking for a couple of Oveready Battery Capsules, Delrin or Aluminium. If you have a spare would you please give me a shout? Thanks. Peter

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    The ravages of time had nothing to do with the demise of Solomon's temple.

~ Cg
    It is an all encompassing generic statement.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    It is an all encompassing generic statement.
    ..... that makes no sense regardless of context.

~ Cg

I have a few bodies I don't want scratched up but mostly I just want the drop ins to remain protected. To hell with the bodies.
    WANTED: Malkoff MD3/MD4 Bodies, Tail Switches, Head Assemblies, Hi/Lo Rings--Any condition. Contact Me If You Have these Items: PM or Johnmpruner@gmail.com. Thanks, JP

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by redvalkyrie View Post
    I have a few bodies I don't want scratched up but mostly I just want the drop ins to remain protected. To hell with the bodies.
    Amen! I put clear gorilla packing tape on my lenses to keep them scratch free, i want to pot electronics for durability in everything that i own, i clean electrical contacts in my gear regularly, polish and lube contact points on knife, flashlight and gun parts for smooth running and to prevent wear, I make sure that every thread that doesnt have loc-tite is clean and torqued properly, the o-rings are perfectly seated and lubed just right (not to much, not too little).

But...sometimes life brings more to carry than you set out to that day and pocket space becomes limited so i'll stuff one pocket with a leatherman, flashlight, and folding knife. I know anodizing is flaking off every time i take a step, but it doesnt bother me a bit. As long as i know it will perform when i need it to and i've maintained the parts that count, i could care less what it looks like. I'm extremely hard on everything i own and it shows, but unscrew the head on my light and you'll see the dirty muck falling off one side of the o-ring while the other side is black as night and shiny from proper care and lubrication. Looks are last on my list, i cant just buy something because its pretty, i have to have a functional need met before i even consider it. That said when i do find something that meets my needs i buy a color or style i like if its available, but i cant bring myself to buy something again because a new color is out or they made it prettier. I'm certainly not bashing anyone who does, thats just me. I have bought twice before to have backup replacement parts. But if my stuff is scarred up and still works, i love it just as much as a collector loves his safe queen!
    Last edited by GRAY LITNIN; 11-28-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DaYoop View Post
    If I really like a light/tool, I will buy two, one to use and one to put away and admire. Scratches and dings over a period of time are real live testaments to how durable said product is.
    I do this as well, but really not to admire but to ensure i have a working light that I take to for whatever reason. Sometimes more than two if I know they won't be made anymore. That being said, i generally take good care of my lights and other toolsand even if i do "abuse"a light, the anodizing on good lights these days is great. My most beat up light only has nicks on the tailcap and bezel from dropping it from a manlift half a dozen times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12