Miboxer        
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surefire EDCL1-T

Default Surefire EDCL1-T

I was poking around the the SF website this morning and the EDCL1-T is now on the mega lumens page and the flashlight page. I don't have an email about the light yet. Price is $165. I am happy to see this light because of the 2 stage tail cap. I think I am going to wait to order one until I have had a chance to check out the EDCL2-T that I have on order. SF chose the same 5 lumen low which I am fine with, but I know many others have wished for 15 lumens.

My question is why are the EDCL series lights priced lower than the EB lights they are replacing? Where did SF cut costs with these new lights?

What are your thoughts fellow members?

Specs & Description copied from SF website:
    Specifications

Output / Runtime -- White Light
    High 500 Lumens / 1.0 Hour
    Low 5 Lumens / 45 Hours
    Length 4 .5 in
    Bezel Diameter 1 .125 in
    Weight w/Batteries 3 .3 ounces
    Batteries 1 CR123A
    *All performance claims tested to ANSI/NEMA FL1-2009 Standard.

Description

EDCL1-T
    EDCL1-T 084871326841

500 Lumens
    The Everyday Carry Light 1 is an upgraded version of our best-selling EB1 Backupģ. Otherwise itís all about bold, in-your-face performance, with its high-output LED delivering 500 lumens of blinding white light on high and a useful 5 lumens on low. A Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens shapes the virtually indestructible LEDís light into a versatile beam with plenty of throw but optimized for situational awareness, essential in an everyday carry light.

Features
    • Highly versatile light serves as an everyday carry light or an improvised weapon light
    • Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize output and runtime
    • Fully press tailcap switch for high output, and slightly press tailcap switch for low. Twist for constant on
    • High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard anodized for extreme durability
    • Body and tailcap are knurled for a secure grip
    • Two-way clip permits light to be carried bezel up or down
    • Includes one high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life

Promethean #46

Default Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Although I'm very interested in this light, I probably won't get one. I prefer click for on. I rarely (read never) find myself in a tactical situation where momentary would be beneficial to me. I do, however, find myself walking the dog at night regularly. It gets cold up here in the north and having to fiddle with a twist-on light while wearing heavy gloves is a non-starter for me. I need the light to click on and stay on while I'm bending over to pick up a turd.

Enlightened

Can't wait some US retailers get it - some ship to EU, luckily. Will substitute my C2 with Pflexpro AP drop in as EDC light. Desert tan version would be my lifetime light!
    CPF Pinarello

The high is too high, at the cost of run time.

The low is too low, which means youíre going to be running high more than you want to.

The light doesnít stay on when you press the button, forcing you to fiddle with it just to keep it running.

No useful rechargeable option.

Very, very expensive compared to competitors with way better features for EDC (Protac 1L-1AA).

All of which leave me with two (2) questions.

Why are they trying to sell this as an EDC when itís so obviously setup as a tactical light?

Why do I still want one so badly?
    Last edited by Tusk; 11-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Looks like an evolution of the venerable L1. Now on my want list.

I'm sure SF is reading these comments, so let me just preface this with... I know we're a tough group to please here on CPF.

IMHO, a low of 5 lumens and a high of 500 just isn't that useful for EDC. That's either not quite enough light to see what you're doing, or waaay too much that is going to sear your retinas.

Bring back the LX2, keep the tailcap, increase the efficiency with today's electronics, and give it a High CRI tint. That would sell like hotcakes, at least for us every day carry folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    I'm sure SF is reading these comments, so let me just preface this with... I know we're a tough group to please here on CPF.

IMHO, a low of 5 lumens and a high of 500 just isn't that useful for EDC. That's either not quite enough light to see what you're doing, or waaay too much that is going to sear your retinas.

Bring back the LX2, keep the tailcap, increase the efficiency with today's electronics, and give it a High CRI tint. That would sell like hotcakes, at least for us every day carry folks.
    Couldnít have said it better bigfoot. Iíve been wanting an update on my LX2 for ages! Itís still the best surefire light with that excellent 15 lumen low. Love the HAIII green/grey anodizing too!

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Looks like an evolution of the venerable L1. Now on my want list.
    same here, I find the low of 5 perfect for my needs, sometime even a bit too much (but that's what filters are made for)
    nice upgrade to my old L1 (1.1/22) which , believe it or not are still on it's 3rd battery since 2007.. that 1.1 lumens / 90h runtime really goes a loooooong way

:: depends on intended use, market, and what EDC means to you. I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread). Theyíll keep improving, and overall Iím happy with the new stuff weíve got on the way.

Thanks JJRG.
    Can't wait for these to get to our shores here in Asia.
    I carry an E1D and have been looking for an upgrade, but one without the pointy bezel and with a two stage tailcap.
    This is exactly what I have in mind.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

EDC stuff can vary greatly. I EDC chapstick for instance. Not much use against a would be attacker, but doubles as a temporary glue (after being melted by my EDC bic lighter). Stuff like clippers, celphone, wallet and usb flash drives can be considered an EDC item. Dog walkers EDC poop bags and plastic gloves. Your mailman EDC's pepper spray. Some carry scooby snacks for the cool dogs.

Now the folks at SureFire design lights called EDC to be carried by folks who also EDC items. Things that go "flash-bang", or a baton perhaps... earplugs, handcuffs, extra ammo, pepper spray, a helmet perhaps, gloves, sunglasses and maybe even chapstick.

Now if I understand correctly we can all use these lights with a wee bit of Lego action to suit our tastes. Somebody correct me if that isn't correct please.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-20-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Now my question, will it work with a normal EB1 tailcap? And also, will this tailcap work on the EB1 or Aviator? If so, I will definitely pick one up.
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

I absolutely love the look of the light. Love the tail cap and UI. Just don't find either of the brightness levels useful for me as an EDC light. But, there is a market of people who these brightness levels work perfectly for. There are applications that I can absolutely see myself carrying it even though I am not law enforcement or military. So, I am still on the fence. But, it wouldn't be an EDC light for me. Thats fine. It doesn't have to be.

Looks awesome. Ordered one this morning. Hope it ships soon!

Now, if they could just make their dual-mode lights user programmable so that we can connect to the light with Bluethoot and use an app to set the high and low mode and burst mode behaviour at high. The app should also show estimated runtime curves based on different power sources if the light supports different battery configs. Some people would then probably get multiple lights set up in different configs.
    I donīt know how the CCT is these days on SF lights, but I mostly only buy neutral white lights at 4000K-4500K, probably not that important to the main SF audience, but I would have had a lot more SureFires if neutral white was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    :I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread).
    Hey JJRG, thanks for clarifying -- with a role of concealed carry or tactical use, now this light makes a lot more sense.

Still holding out hope that there's something a little more efficient and utilitarian for those of us who are low speed, high drag.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    EDC stuff can vary greatly. I EDC chapstick for instance. Not much use against a would be attacker, but doubles as a temporary glue (after being melted by my EDC bic lighter). Stuff like clippers, celphone, wallet and usb flash drives can be considered an EDC item. Dog walkers EDC poop bags and plastic gloves. Your mailman EDC's pepper spray. Some carry scooby snacks for the cool dogs.

Now the folks at SureFire design lights called EDC to be carried by folks who also EDC items. Things that go "flash-bang", or a baton perhaps... earplugs, handcuffs, extra ammo, pepper spray, a helmet perhaps, gloves, sunglasses and maybe even chapstick.

Now if I understand correctly we can all use these lights with a wee bit of Lego action to suit our tastes. Somebody correct me if that isn't correct please.
    Excellent comment. It's fine to be critical, heck I sure am. But it does get old when a company finally listens to people, releases a product that's been long awaited by many only to have it nitpicked before it's even in anyone's hands.

Moral of the story, life is too easy for most of us. It's just a flashlight. And a darned good one, by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurveleven View Post
    Now, if they could just make their dual-mode lights user programmable so that we can connect to the light with Bluethoot and use an app to set the high and low mode and burst mode behaviour at high. The app should also show estimated runtime curves based on different power sources if the light supports different battery configs. Some people would then probably get multiple lights set up in different configs.
    I donīt know how the CCT is these days on SF lights, but I mostly only buy neutral white lights at 4000K-4500K, probably not that important to the main SF audience, but I would have had a lot more SureFires if neutral white was an option.
    Funny you mention user programmable.

I get that this light is aimed at a different crowd but I think you nailed it, for me anyway. This light (or the LX1) with a 219B, 15L low and 200L high would be spot on.
    I'm guessing they went from the current EB1 XPG2 and put in an XPL(HI) and upped the juice a little too go from 300 to 500 lumens and that makes sense.
    I recently modded an L2 to accept a 16650 and put in an XHP50 high CRI 5000K and I'm loving the UI.
    I think it's great that they're bringing back this design with a couple of tweaks but I agree with the above post for my taste. I'd love one of these but I'd likely prefer an old LX1 modded be with a 219B (or a down tuned EDCL1-T with a neutral or preferably high CRI neutral 15 low 200-ish high).
    Last edited by F89; 11-20-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I get that this light is aimed at a different crowd but I think you nailed it, for me anyway. This light (or the LX1) with a 219B, 15L low and 200L high would be spot on.
    I'm guessing they went from the current EB1 XPG2 and put in an XPL(HI) and upped the juice a little too go from 300 to 500 lumens and that makes sense.
    I recently modded an L2 to accept a 16650 and put in an XHP50 high CRI 5000K and I'm loving the UI.
    I think it's great that they're bringing back this design with a couple of tweaks but I agree with the above post for my taste. I'd love one of these but I'd likely prefer an old LX1 modded be with a 219B.
    One of the main reasons I've shifted away from LED's is just as you say, the bright is just to stinking bright. The E2D (excellent product, for sure) seems ridiculous, this is essentially that with a different UI in a shorter form. These are tactical lights though, just as Surefires always have been. I would bet for an operator the mode spacing is excellent; from read a map up close to blind a perp bright. Yeager's light seems to be better suited to split duty between EDCers and armed professionals. It's unlikely they'll make a single-cell length version though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    Funny you mention user programmable.
    A hint of what to come? Is this in the pipeline or under development?

I found the 15 lumen low of the LX2 too high for me. I sold mine. Maybe Surefire lumens are even higher than the stated 15. I cant measure lumens but I am looking forward to these new lights. 5 lumen low on some of my other lights is perfect.

I do like a highest possible high mode and usually only need it for a really short time to check something out at a distance, so I prefer the way it is done with a burst mode that pushes the light extra hard for a short while. However, I wish this could be part of the official specs like some other brands do, so that you both know the burst time and output and the continous high output and runtime, or even better would be to show runtime curves. I would also like to see candela ratings for the different modes as part of the official specifications on the webpage.

Flashaholic

I had written-off Surefire when the LX1 never came to fruition, despite being advertised in their catalog and listed on various websites. Nothing from Surefire has sparked an interest in me for quite some time, yet suddenly theyíre making a bunch of exciting lights.

The EDCL1-T is exactly what Iím looking for in a Surefire light: relatively small (1 cell), easily carried, extremely bright, and an easily accessible max (no double clicks; no thinking). I also like the new price schemes. $165 for a flashlight is still really expensive, but itís at least a little more down-to-earth than $210. I think theyíll catch a lot more fish with the better pricing.

My EDC light is an HDS Systems 140 219a. Itís about as practical and utilitarian as a light can get. Great spacing that is also customizable, and great color rendering. I am personally fine with the 140 lumen max, but I was humbled a bit the other night during a night shoot... thatís lead me to wanted a simple, super bright light. The HDS and EDCL-1 would make a great duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurveleven View Post
    A hint of what to come? Is this in the pipeline or under development?
    The current crop of lights went from whiteboard doodles, to release, in under six months. Thereís all sorts of things that are on *my* (Iím not the one with final say) agenda that Iíd love to see happen. So, weíll see.

That's impressive! Looking forward to what's coming.

I donīt think we will ever agree on what is the right low mode, however I think it is wrong to discuss lumens, for me it is the lux that matters. If you have dark adapted eyes and it is pitch dark, then you donīt need much light before it gets too much at close distance, but in an urban environment with street lights and no dark adapted eyes, then I would probably like something like 2000 lux on low. I donīt know how many lumens that equals on the EDCL1-T, 80 lumens maybe?

I, too, am pleased with the lights that SF is putting on the table now. Though I didnít order this light, it was this thread that made me today order the E1B MV.

Itís good to be be excited about Surefire flashlights again!

Flashaholic

I've been waiting for the release of this light and I'm excited to get it. I checked my email waiting for the Monday release to see if it would be today and then realized I left my Surefire coupon code at home. So I ordered it tonight. I'll also probably end up with the EDCL2-T and an XC-1B... and probably a Tactician as well. This is the Surefire I want to see...

I quite like my stock EB1 and E1DL, I don't mind the jump from 300 lumens to 5 but I do think that 15 is a better general use level for EDC particularly so with a 500 plus lumen high (I tend to switch between using them on E2E bodies with 16650 and their original bodies) but I do like the idea of bringing back the L(X) tail caps. I'll be interested to read opinions on them once they're out and about.
    I think it'll be hard to top the Malkoff E2ST leggo's I've seen on the forum though, particularly the LX2 body combo cranking out 20 000 lux with 650 at turn on and 550 sustained lumens for an hour on a 16650.
    Last edited by F89; 11-20-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast