Surefire EDCL1-T

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I was poking around the the SF website this morning and the EDCL1-T is now on the mega lumens page and the flashlight page. I don't have an email about the light yet. Price is $165. I am happy to see this light because of the 2 stage tail cap. I think I am going to wait to order one until I have had a chance to check out the EDCL2-T that I have on order. SF chose the same 5 lumen low which I am fine with, but I know many others have wished for 15 lumens.

My question is why are the EDCL series lights priced lower than the EB lights they are replacing? Where did SF cut costs with these new lights?

What are your thoughts fellow members?

Specs & Description copied from SF website:
Specifications

Output / Runtime -- White Light
High500Lumens / 1.0 Hour
Low5Lumens / 45 Hours
Length4.5in
Bezel Diameter1.125in
Weight w/Batteries3.3ounces
Batteries1CR123A
*All performance claims tested to ANSI/NEMA FL1-2009 Standard.

Description

EDCL1-T
EDCL1-T084871326841

500 Lumens
The Everyday Carry Light 1 is an upgraded version of our best-selling EB1 Backup®. Otherwise it's all about bold, in-your-face performance, with its high-output LED delivering 500 lumens of blinding white light on high and a useful 5 lumens on low. A Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens shapes the virtually indestructible LED's light into a versatile beam with plenty of throw but optimized for situational awareness, essential in an everyday carry light.

Features
  • Highly versatile light serves as an everyday carry light or an improvised weapon light
  • Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize output and runtime
  • Fully press tailcap switch for high output, and slightly press tailcap switch for low. Twist for constant on
  • High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard anodized for extreme durability
  • Body and tailcap are knurled for a secure grip
  • Two-way clip permits light to be carried bezel up or down
  • Includes one high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Although I'm very interested in this light, I probably won't get one. I prefer click for on. I rarely (read never) find myself in a tactical situation where momentary would be beneficial to me. I do, however, find myself walking the dog at night regularly. It gets cold up here in the north and having to fiddle with a twist-on light while wearing heavy gloves is a non-starter for me. I need the light to click on and stay on while I'm bending over to pick up a turd.

Pinarello

Newly Enlightened
Can't wait some US retailers get it - some ship to EU, luckily. Will substitute my C2 with Pflexpro AP drop in as EDC light. Desert tan version would be my lifetime light!
CPF Pinarello

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
The high is too high, at the cost of run time.

The low is too low, which means you're going to be running high more than you want to.

The light doesn't stay on when you press the button, forcing you to fiddle with it just to keep it running.

No useful rechargeable option.

Very, very expensive compared to competitors with way better features for EDC (Protac 1L-1AA).

All of which leave me with two (2) questions.

Why are they trying to sell this as an EDC when it's so obviously setup as a tactical light?

Why do I still want one so badly?

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
I'm sure SF is reading these comments, so let me just preface this with... I know we're a tough group to please here on CPF. :D

IMHO, a low of 5 lumens and a high of 500 just isn't that useful for EDC. That's either not quite enough light to see what you're doing, or waaay too much that is going to sear your retinas. :sigh:

Bring back the LX2, keep the tailcap, increase the efficiency with today's electronics, and give it a High CRI tint. That would sell like hotcakes, at least for us every day carry folks.

moltenmag

Enlightened
I'm sure SF is reading these comments, so let me just preface this with... I know we're a tough group to please here on CPF. :D

IMHO, a low of 5 lumens and a high of 500 just isn't that useful for EDC. That's either not quite enough light to see what you're doing, or waaay too much that is going to sear your retinas. :sigh:

Bring back the LX2, keep the tailcap, increase the efficiency with today's electronics, and give it a High CRI tint. That would sell like hotcakes, at least for us every day carry folks.

Couldn't have said it better bigfoot. I've been wanting an update on my LX2 for ages! It's still the best surefire light with that excellent 15 lumen low. Love the HAIII green/grey anodizing too!

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Looks like an evolution of the venerable L1. Now on my want list. :)

:thumbsup: same here, I find the low of 5 perfect for my needs, sometime even a bit too much (but that's what filters are made for)
nice upgrade to my old L1 (1.1/22) which , believe it or not are still on it's 3rd battery since 2007.. that 1.1 lumens / 90h runtime really goes a loooooong way

JJRG

Newly Enlightened

::shrug:: depends on intended use, market, and what EDC means to you. I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread). They'll keep improving, and overall I'm happy with the new stuff we've got on the way.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks JJRG.
Can't wait for these to get to our shores here in Asia.
I carry an E1D and have been looking for an upgrade, but one without the pointy bezel and with a two stage tailcap.
This is exactly what I have in mind.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
EDC stuff can vary greatly. I EDC chapstick for instance. Not much use against a would be attacker, but doubles as a temporary glue (after being melted by my EDC bic lighter). Stuff like clippers, celphone, wallet and usb flash drives can be considered an EDC item. Dog walkers EDC poop bags and plastic gloves. Your mailman EDC's pepper spray. Some carry scooby snacks for the cool dogs.

Now the folks at SureFire design lights called EDC to be carried by folks who also EDC items. Things that go "flash-bang", or a baton perhaps... earplugs, handcuffs, extra ammo, pepper spray, a helmet perhaps, gloves, sunglasses and maybe even chapstick.

Now if I understand correctly we can all use these lights with a wee bit of Lego action to suit our tastes. Somebody correct me if that isn't correct please.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Now my question, will it work with a normal EB1 tailcap? And also, will this tailcap work on the EB1 or Aviator? If so, I will definitely pick one up.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I absolutely love the look of the light. Love the tail cap and UI. Just don't find either of the brightness levels useful for me as an EDC light. But, there is a market of people who these brightness levels work perfectly for. There are applications that I can absolutely see myself carrying it even though I am not law enforcement or military. So, I am still on the fence. But, it wouldn't be an EDC light for me. Thats fine. It doesn't have to be.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, if they could just make their dual-mode lights user programmable so that we can connect to the light with Bluethoot and use an app to set the high and low mode and burst mode behaviour at high. The app should also show estimated runtime curves based on different power sources if the light supports different battery configs. Some people would then probably get multiple lights set up in different configs.
I don´t know how the CCT is these days on SF lights, but I mostly only buy neutral white lights at 4000K-4500K, probably not that important to the main SF audience, but I would have had a lot more SureFires if neutral white was an option.

bigfoot

Enlightened
:I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread).

Hey JJRG, thanks for clarifying -- with a role of concealed carry or tactical use, now this light makes a lot more sense. :)

Still holding out hope that there's something a little more efficient and utilitarian for those of us who are low speed, high drag. :D

EDC stuff can vary greatly. I EDC chapstick for instance. Not much use against a would be attacker, but doubles as a temporary glue (after being melted by my EDC bic lighter). Stuff like clippers, celphone, wallet and usb flash drives can be considered an EDC item. Dog walkers EDC poop bags and plastic gloves. Your mailman EDC's pepper spray. Some carry scooby snacks for the cool dogs.

Now the folks at SureFire design lights called EDC to be carried by folks who also EDC items. Things that go "flash-bang", or a baton perhaps... earplugs, handcuffs, extra ammo, pepper spray, a helmet perhaps, gloves, sunglasses and maybe even chapstick.

Now if I understand correctly we can all use these lights with a wee bit of Lego action to suit our tastes. Somebody correct me if that isn't correct please.

Excellent comment. It's fine to be critical, heck I sure am. But it does get old when a company finally listens to people, releases a product that's been long awaited by many only to have it nitpicked before it's even in anyone's hands.

Moral of the story, life is too easy for most of us. It's just a flashlight. And a darned good one, by the looks of it.

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
Now, if they could just make their dual-mode lights user programmable so that we can connect to the light with Bluethoot and use an app to set the high and low mode and burst mode behaviour at high. The app should also show estimated runtime curves based on different power sources if the light supports different battery configs. Some people would then probably get multiple lights set up in different configs.
I don´t know how the CCT is these days on SF lights, but I mostly only buy neutral white lights at 4000K-4500K, probably not that important to the main SF audience, but I would have had a lot more SureFires if neutral white was an option.

Funny you mention user programmable.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

I get that this light is aimed at a different crowd but I think you nailed it, for me anyway. This light (or the LX1) with a 219B, 15L low and 200L high would be spot on.
I'm guessing they went from the current EB1 XPG2 and put in an XPL(HI) and upped the juice a little too go from 300 to 500 lumens and that makes sense.
I recently modded an L2 to accept a 16650 and put in an XHP50 high CRI 5000K and I'm loving the UI.
I think it's great that they're bringing back this design with a couple of tweaks but I agree with the above post for my taste. I'd love one of these but I'd likely prefer an old LX1 modded be with a 219B (or a down tuned EDCL1-T with a neutral or preferably high CRI neutral 15 low 200-ish high).

Last edited:
I get that this light is aimed at a different crowd but I think you nailed it, for me anyway. This light (or the LX1) with a 219B, 15L low and 200L high would be spot on.
I'm guessing they went from the current EB1 XPG2 and put in an XPL(HI) and upped the juice a little too go from 300 to 500 lumens and that makes sense.
I recently modded an L2 to accept a 16650 and put in an XHP50 high CRI 5000K and I'm loving the UI.
I think it's great that they're bringing back this design with a couple of tweaks but I agree with the above post for my taste. I'd love one of these but I'd likely prefer an old LX1 modded be with a 219B.

One of the main reasons I've shifted away from LED's is just as you say, the bright is just to stinking bright. The E2D (excellent product, for sure) seems ridiculous, this is essentially that with a different UI in a shorter form. These are tactical lights though, just as Surefires always have been. I would bet for an operator the mode spacing is excellent; from read a map up close to blind a perp bright. Yeager's light seems to be better suited to split duty between EDCers and armed professionals. It's unlikely they'll make a single-cell length version though.