ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surefire EDCL1-T

Default Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Quote Originally Posted by jimbyjimb View Post
    One of the main reasons I've shifted away from LED's is just as you say, the bright is just to stinking bright. The E2D (excellent product, for sure) seems ridiculous, this is essentially that with a different UI in a shorter form. These are tactical lights though, just as Surefires always have been. I would bet for an operator the mode spacing is excellent; from read a map up close to blind a perp bright. Yeager's light seems to be better suited to split duty between EDCers and armed professionals. It's unlikely they'll make a single-cell length version though.
    I think you're right for the most part and that's why I'd like to see them make this EDC light more EDC general use like I described than pretty much another small tactical light much like the current EB1 and E1DL but with a move back to the twisty/momentary UI and brighter LED.
    I personally think that the EB1 and E1DL make a better tactical light unless the twisty/momentary is high only rather than having to push past low to high.
    I'm not saying that what they're doing is bad, just that they have other lights that did and currently do what this light offers so why not make this one with a nice tint and CRI with more reasonable lumen to runtime ratio.
    Don't get me wrong as I think the new lights look great, I'd just like to see them break the mold with this one a little. I'm sure a heap of professionals and otherwise would love this light with a neutral high CRI LED and around 15 low 200 high.
    Last edited by F89; 11-21-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Flashaholic*

I also assume there will be an EDCL1-C in the future. When the EB1 and EB2 came out there were also two versions available. If I remember correctly they were named EB1-C and EB1-T (Clicky and two stage twisty version). At all the pricing of the new EDCLx-C is very interesting. The EB1 and EB2 were expensive if I remember that correctly, the price was >200USD.

At all the EDCL1 is noting really new, but after SF shrinked the flashlight lineup ~2 years (?) ago it is good to see they remmber their roots.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    :: depends on intended use, market, and what EDC means to you. I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread). They’ll keep improving, and overall I’m happy with the new stuff we’ve got on the way.
    I get that this is why this light is the way it is and not the way I may like it to be.
    The above applies as much to the EB1 and E1DL as it does to the new EDC model with the L(X) UI and brighter LED regarding people that carry a gun as part of their EDC.
    I look at it this way, a hybrid of the LX2 and EB1/E1DL with a brighter LED.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    At all the EDCL1 is noting really new, but after SF shrinked the flashlight lineup ~2 years (?) ago it is good to see they remmber their roots.
    Pretty much this.
    Nothing wrong with that, at that.
    Bringing back the twisty momentary two stage thing coupled with a brighter LED.
    I'm fixating a little on the EDC moniker, to me the EB1 and E1DL etc etc etc are as much in the same EDC boat as this EDC labeled light.

Enlightened

Funny you mention user programmable.

so we finally would see this,,, WOW it's only been 6 years (2012 Catalog) since this was "promised"

LX2 Ultra , EB1, UM2 Ultra, ZM2 , DM2 ect... ect

Quote : "All SureFire flashlights are pre-programmed to optimize output and runtime for specific applications fromcombat to police work (both tactical and administrative) as well as outdoor and everyday-carry uses. New
    for 2012, any SureFire light identified by a “programmable” icon can now be custom programmed by the user
    via a new SF programming dongle that’s easy to use. You set the precise output/runtime balance that’s right
    for you. Just connect the dongle to your computer via its USB port, set the output levels using the software,
    and then position your light—bezel down—on top of it to complete user programming. Light from the dongle
    will literally flash into the flashlight’s optic and re-program the output levels to the parameters you defined."

Quote Originally Posted by Petersen View Post
    so we finally would see this,,, WOW it's only been 6 years (2012 Catalog) since this was "promised"

Quote : "All SureFire flashlights are pre-programmed to optimize output and runtime for specific applications fromcombat to police work (both tactical and administrative) as well as outdoor and everyday-carry uses. New
    for 2012, any SureFire light identified by a “programmable” icon can now be custom programmed by the user
    via a new SF programming dongle that’s easy to use. You set the precise output/runtime balance that’s right
    for you. Just connect the dongle to your computer via its USB port, set the output levels using the software,
    and then position your light—bezel down—on top of it to complete user programming. Light from the dongle
    will literally flash into the flashlight’s optic and re-program the output levels to the parameters you defined."
    Yes we never forget

I’m glad Surefire is putting all the features I’ve wanted into one light. The switch from the LX2; knurling and color of the E2D/E1D; toothless bezel of the EB1/EB2. I’d personally sacrifice runtime on low for 15-25 lumens, but that’s just nitpicking. As a CCW/EDC light, it fits the bill nicely.

:: depends on intended use, market, and what EDC means to you. I will say, these lights are designed specifically for people that carry a gun as part of their day to day life, and specifically for managing unknown contacts (as discussed in the EDCL-2T thread). They’ll keep improving, and overall I’m happy with the new stuff we’ve got on the way.
    This right here!

Official Surefire comment on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/SureFire/po...%3A%22R0%22%7D

Backorders will mostly be filled by the end of this week, with the rest by the end of this month.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Quote Originally Posted by Petersen View Post

1. I think I can come up with something a little better than that.
    2. Show me on this doll where 2012 Surefire hurt you. 😜 (joke)

Does anyone know what the candella rating of this light is?

Enlightened

I have a tactical background. This light is the light I have been waiting for.

As to the complaints about 5 lumens, I'm opposite. This is a tactical flashlight. I want bright as the sun on high, and a 2 to 3 lumen navigation light on low. This light is for identifying threats, and navigating stealthily.

I can certainly understand that the vast majority of flashlight enthusiast just like to light up the night and don't have a care or concern about the tactical design or application of this light.

My 4 flats A2 aviator incan is the most perfect tactical light in my eyes. Minus the 60 lumens. But the knurling and grip are perfect, as is the 3 lumen low, and gas pedal 2 stage tailcap.

Glad to see Surefire back.

14-15k candela, is my wild ass guess.
    The 500 lumen E2DL-U was around that figure, IIRC.

EDCL-1T shouldn't be far off.
    The EDCL-2T should be awesome. Probably around 25k.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
    Although I'm very interested in this light, I probably won't get one. I prefer click for on. I rarely (read never) find myself in a tactical situation where momentary would be beneficial to me. I do, however, find myself walking the dog at night regularly. It gets cold up here in the north and having to fiddle with a twist-on light while wearing heavy gloves is a non-starter for me. I need the light to click on and stay on while I'm bending over to pick up a turd.
    After considerable thought, I've decided that maybe this light will work for me. Despite being the first to come out against it, I think I may end up ordering one of these soon. I really like my E1b MV's size and quality, despite having a poor run time. I assume this light has similar quality and size.

I realize the beam type is completely different but I like that this light comes on low first (with a light press) and will likely use less battery power overall as it will be easier to use low. I also like that high is just as easily accessible with a firm press. Win Win,. It may not be my primary dog walking light, but I can see it fulfilling a utilitarian role around the house with the potential for much more at the (firm) press of a button.

I get it now.

Flashaholic*

The problem I see with this light besides the too low low is the too high high. 500 lumens in a single cr123 cell. Besides short runtime there will definitely be some very quick timed Stepdown. You'll never see the 500 lumens except for a few seconds. Why not make it 250 lumens with full regulation? That I'd buy

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    The problem I see with this light besides the too low low is the too high high. 500 lumens in a single cr123 cell. Besides short runtime there will definitely be some very quick timed Stepdown. You'll never see the 500 lumens except for a few seconds. Why not make it 250 lumens with full regulation? That I'd buy
    Because, like Bubba said, it's geared towards a tactical audience. For me, as a self defense/use-with-weapon light it's absolutely perfect. 500 blinding lumens to use with a pistol or to disorient someone. A low of 5 lumens to simply see where you're going when you're creeping through your house at night to investigate a sound.
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

Flashaholic*

I can see that I guess but call it something else than an escape light. It's just disappointing when hey bring back the 2 stage tailcap with this light. Oh well it is neat and I'm sure it's perfect for many users

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    The older LX2 may be what you are looking for. Lower high and higher low.

Flashaholic*

I have always wanted one of those. Would be nice to have a newer light though with a newer emitter

I'll probably purchase one after the new year. I wanna play with the "2" for a while first. The EB1c still makes me giggle like a schoolboy who heard the teacher say "butt"... so I'm in no hurry.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

http://www.recoilweb.com/single-cell...-1-131271.html
    Some new pictures of the EDCL1-T. Notice the name printed on the flashlight - it's EDCLT-1, either they changed the name or this is some prototype picture with an older name.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

I hope that EDCLT-1 and 2 end up being the name, what it's a rose by any name in my humble opinion....
    (ED-1 or 2 for nickname)
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

I wanted this light a lot but I decided I didn't really need it, so I decided to wait and see. But today I found a 30% off coupon code for surefire.com and decided that, at that price, I had no choice but to take the plunge. The code appears to no longer be valid, so please don't barrage me with PMs!

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for the EDCL1-T. The HDS is by far my most preferred 1xCR123 light, but the Surefire 1xCR123 lights are what got me started in this game and I'll always have a soft spot for them.

I jUsT hOpE tHe TiNt DoEsN't SuCk
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    I jUsT hOpE tHe TiNt DoEsN't SuCk
    Come on that's a Surefire feature. Tactically bad tints.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    14-15k candela, is my wild ass guess.
    The 500 lumen E2DL-U was around that figure, IIRC.

EDCL-1T shouldn't be far off.
    The EDCL-2T should be awesome. Probably around 25k.
    I reckon you might be a bit optimistic.
    My guess is they're using an XPL rather than XPL HI?
    I'm thinking around 15K for the 2T and 8K for the 1T? Basically what the current offerings have but with more lumens which isn't a bad thing.
    No way either will beat the EB1 I just modded with a neutral tinted XPG2 on copper running 2.8A, it throws like a beast although I'm down tuning my next mods to 2.2A for a bit of extra runtime on 16650 (E2E body).
    Last edited by F89; 11-26-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I reckon you might be a bit optimistic.
    My guess is they're using an XPL rather than XPL HI?
    I'm thinking around 15K for the 2T and 8K for the 1T? Basically what the current offerings have but with more lumens which isn't a bad thing.
    No way either will beat the EB1 I just modded with a neutral tinted XPG2 on copper running 2.8A, it throws like a beast although I'm down tuning my next mods to 2.2A for a bit of extra runtime on 16650 (E2E body).
    Well, the 300 lumen EB1 already does 9k and the 600 lumen E2DL-U already does 16.5K.

But we'll see.

Well, the 300 lumen EB1 already does 9k and the 600 lumen E2DL-U already does 16.5K.

But we'll see.
    Yeah that's what I was saying, my guess is that they'll have similar throw. Maybe they'll have a bit more but I don't think it'll be much?
    I'm pretty sure they're using an XPL and upping the current over past lights. If they are actually using XPL HI they might get close to your guess?

I'll be interested to read of results for output and how many amps these lights pull, also would be happy to hear of reasonable tints too.
    My E1DL had a decent tint on high and acceptable low while my EB1 had a cooler but quite nice high with a distracting green low (both 300 lumen versions) so both lows are more ugly than the high even with the PWM on low.
    Last edited by F89; 11-26-2017 at 03:26 AM.

I'd personnaly be happy with 10k and 16k candela for the two versions, that would be more throw that I'd ever really need and would result in a big ,useful hotspot and more spill.
    As for current, no doubt these would be pushing CR123s to their limits.
    I'd stick to fresh, brand name cells for the two cell version.

I'd personnaly be happy with 10k and 16k candela for the two versions, that would be more throw that I'd ever really need and would result in a big ,useful hotspot and more spill.
    As for current, no doubt these would be pushing CR123s to their limits.
    I'd stick to fresh, brand name cells for the two cell version.
    I reckon you're probably about right with those figures and beam description.
    I'd say you're also right about these lights pushing CR123 to the limit. Hopefully they'll run well on LiIon. My favourite configuration with stock EB1/E1DL is on an E2E body with a 16650.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast