The Fenix-Store        
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Surefire EDCL1-T

Default Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Yep, I have an E1D and using up primaries sucks, so I got a Fenix 16340 after seeing HKJ's review(700+ actual mAh).
    Hopefully the EDCL-1T can take lithium ion too.

I'm even thinking a lego with the 500 lumen EDCL-1T head, and the 2AA body of the old E2L-AA.
    That would be nice.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    Yep, I have an E1D and using up primaries sucks, so I got a Fenix 16340 after seeing HKJ's review(700+ actual mAh).
    Hopefully the EDCL-1T can take lithium ion too.

I'm even thinking a lego with the 500 lumen EDCL-1T head, and the 2AA body of the old E2L-AA.
    That would be nice.
    I use a single primary for work but I know what you mean.
    The Fenix 16340 are great, best I've used so far.
    I've always wanted an E2L-AA body, that would definitely make a good lego.
    Surely they can take a Liion like past recent single CR123 models, would be disappointing for some if they don't.

Are there any beamshots available?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    http://www.recoilweb.com/single-cell...-1-131271.html
    Some new pictures of the EDCL1-T. Notice the name printed on the flashlight - it's EDCLT-1, either they changed the name or this is some prototype picture with an older name.
    They were prototypes that had the incorrect model name applied. FYI, there's less than 20 that have that on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    I wanted this light a lot but I decided I didn't really need it, so I decided to wait and see. But today I found a 30% off coupon code for surefire.com and decided that, at that price, I had no choice but to take the plunge. The code appears to no longer be valid, so please don't barrage me with PMs!

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for the EDCL1-T. The HDS is by far my most preferred 1xCR123 light, but the Surefire 1xCR123 lights are what got me started in this game and I'll always have a soft spot for them.
    FWIW, there's a 30% off code that you can pretty much use whenever that gets broadcast on Ballistic Radio each week.

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    They were prototypes that had the incorrect model name applied. FYI, there's less than 20 that have that on it.
    I can see it.... it's the future... one will be on eBay in 5 years.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I can see it.... it's the future... one will be on eBay in 5 years.
    Yep just like em coin and paper money errors that fetch horrendous prices.

Enlightened

Popcorn Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Quote Originally Posted by JJRG View Post
    1. I think I can come up with something a little better than that.
    2. Show me on this doll where 2012 Surefire hurt you. 😜 (joke)

will stay tuned.... plz make it with the 2 stage TC, as this is my favorite UI ,, never liked the on/off/onoff clickie ,, is too annoying for my taste..
    that's why my old L1 / A2 and L2 (L2 not so much as the TC is bad) get's most use........

Flashaholic

I’m super excited about the EDCL1-T. Ordered one yesterday and had to change the shipping on my order so I called Surefire and was told the light is backordered until 12/30. Oh well, I’ve waited years I can wait another few weeks lol. I’m glad the 2-stage switch is back. Nothing against the clicky switch lights but I vastly prefer the 2 stage “gas pedal” LX2 style switch over clickies for my uses.

Two things, I hope all future lights that use the clicky to change modes are timed to 1 second and not 2 seconds anymore. My old E1B was 2 seconds and I hated it but the newer lights at 1 second intervals are perfect tactically.

I sometimes CCW and appreciate the design/lumen levels of the EDCL1-T at 500/5. I wouldn’t mind seeing a 15 lumen low however. Also, Surefire should consider producing a variant of the EDCL1-T with a long running flat regulation 200 lumen high and 15 lumen low. That would be the perfect overall EDC light.
    Last edited by dcowboyscr; 11-27-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Placed my order today using the "Ballistic Radio" coupon. Pretty good deal with the coupon but they added in state sales tax

Don't know when it will ship...

I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces. I'm guessing it will be a battery hog but I'm a sucker for a small (one cell) tactical light.

I’ll wait for a -C (clicky) version to appear. Two hand UI is a no go for me. (Here goes garbage text to overcome stupid “message too short” restriction)

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I’ll wait for a -C (clicky) version to appear. Two hand UI is a no go for me. (Here goes garbage text to overcome stupid “message too short” restriction)
    Who's using two hands?

Quote Originally Posted by dcowboyscr View Post
    I’m super excited about the EDCL1-T. Ordered one yesterday and had to change the shipping on my order so I called Surefire and was told the light is backordered until 12/30. Oh well, I’ve waited years I can wait another few weeks lol. I’m glad the 2-stage switch is back. Nothing against the clicky switch lights but I vastly prefer the 2 stage “gas pedal” LX2 style switch over clickies for my uses.

Two things, I hope all future lights that use the clicky to change modes are timed to 1 second and not 2 seconds anymore. My old E1B was 2 seconds and I hated it but the newer lights at 1 second intervals are perfect tactically.

I sometimes CCW and appreciate the design/lumen levels of the EDCL1-T at 500/5. I wouldn’t mind seeing a 15 lumen low however. Also, Surefire should consider producing a variant of the EDCL1-T with a long running flat regulation 200 lumen high and 15 lumen low. That would be the perfect overall EDC light.
    Yeah the long interval time sucked, the new EB1/E1D short 1 second or less reset is great.
    As much as I like a clicky I'm happy to see the two stage press/twist return, it's pretty awesome.
    I agree with your ideas on output for an EDC type role.
    Last edited by F89; 11-28-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Flashaholic

I was thinking about it, my perfect EDC/TACTICAL light would be an EDCL1-T with a low of 15 lumens and a high of 500 lumens “burst output” for the first couple minutes its used but with the light somehow sensing if it was being used in a constant on state and after a 2-3 minutes of being constantly on, adjusting brightness down to say a flat regulated 200 lumens until it was turned off and on again. That way you could still use it in a tactical function 500 lumens, have 15 lumens for 90% of EDC tasks and in effect have a built in medium level of 150-200 lumens of flat regulation say if you needed to do something long term that required more than 15 lumens but not as much as 500 lumens and more runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by dcowboyscr View Post
    I was thinking about it, my perfect EDC/TACTICAL light would be an EDCL1-T with a low of 15 lumens and a high of 500 lumens “burst output” for the first couple minutes its used but with the light somehow sensing if it was being used in a constant on state and after a 2-3 minutes of being constantly on, adjusting brightness down to say a flat regulated 200 lumens until it was turned off and on again. That way you could still use it in a tactical function 500 lumens, have 15 lumens for 90% of EDC tasks and in effect have a built in medium level of 150-200 lumens of flat regulation say if you needed to do something long term that required more than 15 lumens but not as much as 500 lumens and more runtime.
    Spot on!!!
    That's how I would want mine.

We are a tough bunch to please, aren't we, JJRG?
    Honestly, I am hapoy enough with what I'm hearing here.

Yeah my lx2's and 6p's i have no problem twisting constant on with one hand. I guess maybe if youre missing thumbs i can see needing 2 hands.
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    Yeah the long interval time sucked, the new EB1/E1D short 1 second or less reset is great.
    As much as I like a clicky I'm happy to see the two stage press/twist return, it's pretty awesome.
    I agree with your ideas on output for an EDC type role.
    Amen on that less than 1 second reset time on the eb1/e1d, it is perfect. Just wish the eb2/e2d had the same, they are more like 3 seconds unfortunately. The e1b mv isnt the same either, it will hit high twice if you click it too fast but eh i think sometime im too picky lol
    Last edited by Jose Marin; 11-28-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body

If you're using two hands then you don't know how to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    Last edited by vadimax; 11-29-2017 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    I may explain why I don’t like twisty UI. First of all I have simulated it with a Fury (switch is on, cap untwisted). Even with silicone grease applied the tail cap is tight enough to not make positive and precise contact every time. Sometimes I get unreliable connection with a blinking light (this is why I need two hands) — not so nice.

Next point — a clip of the EDCL1-T does touch a tail cap. As a result of many twists the tail cap will gain an ugly circular scratch on its surface — not so nice.

One more issue: aluminum is not the best example of wear resistance. With time a tail cap will gain too much play to either untwist loose or to make a contact just being in a pocket — not so nice as well.

Perhaps, these issues do not bother others, but they make difference to me. I’d like the Fury UI much more.

I may explain why I don’t like twisty UI. First of all I have simulated it with a Fury (switch is on, cap untwisted). Even with silicone grease applied the tail cap is tight enough to not make positive and precise contact every time. Sometimes I get unreliable connection with a blinking light (this is why I need two hands) — not so nice.

Next point — a clip of the EDCL1-T does touch a tail cap. As a result of many twists the tail cap will gain an ugly circular scratch on its surface — not so nice.

One more issue: aluminum is not the best example of wear resistance. With time a tail cap will gain too much play to either untwist loose or to make a contact just being in a pocket — not so nice as well.

Perhaps, these issues do not bother others, but they make difference to me. I’d like the Fury UI much more.
    No offence intended but you obviously have no idea or experience with this UI. Trust us, it works really well.
    The twist is smooth as can be and would take an extremely long time to wear out, I've heard no reports? Also the button has no click lock, it's a simple plunger on a spring which when released turns off. Light press is low, press all the way for high, release off. Once again trust us, it works great. I think you'd have to try it to understand.
    Last edited by F89; 11-29-2017 at 04:28 AM.

True, never had issues with the old LX2 and 6th Gen L1, twisting with one hand became second nature I got used to them real fast using icepick grip and twisting the tailcap using the thumb and index finger.
    Most of the time I don't need constant on anyway, so a lot of use is with pressing the button and releasing for momentary on.

I emitter swapped that L1 and used an AW 16340, so I had to recharge often and no issues with wearing down the tailcap threads.
    Boy those two lights got some real runtimes with me.

Once the EDCL-1T comes it will no doubt be my favorite.

I respectfully think that you may be mistaken in some of your points.

You are not simulating it if you have a clicky light. There is no switch is on, cap is untwisted on a twisty light. On a twisty, you are using momentary on via the push button, not by clicking a switch and then twisting back and forth for momentary on. So, the blinking light and non reliable connection is not something that occurs.

I can't say if the clip touches or rubs, as I don't own one. But, it does not seem to be an issue on my LX2 with similar clip and UI.

I've used an LX2 every day (actual lighting tasks not just sitting in pocket) since they were first released, and never had any issue with aluminum wear. My threads are not even greased. It seems to me that most of the time you are using this style light, you are using the momentary on switch and only twisting it to the on position every now and again. And when you do, you don't continue to twist it on and off. You leave it there until your lighting needs are done.

I think you might just be slightly unaware of how the UI in a twisty like this actually works. Again, not being condescending. Just trying to help out.

Enlightened

Years ago, I also hated the twisty. I didn't understand it. I though a clicky just made much more sense. I had limited experience with a twisty. Then I bought an A2 aviator incan with the twisty cap. Carried it every day. Used it daily. Learned what the fuss was about, and more importantly, WHY the twisty is a superior tactical light. You see, years ago, I didn't need a tactical light. I wasn't tactically minded. Then after becoming a police officer and receiving training, to include real life in your face training on the mean streets of a large urban city, I learned the value of a high-quality, tactical light. There really is nothing better than a Surefire two stage twisty tailcap for tactical use.

I understand that the vast majority of folks have no desire or need for a real tactical light. They need a general purpose light. And the clicky works perfect for those folks.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if you don't need a real deal tactical light, then don't buy one, and don't complain about it features, if thats not what you need. Buy something else more purpose built for you.

Look at the new Surefire Tactician. Purpose built to the specs of a guy who lives, eats, sleeps,and breaths tactical training. He chose a twisty, non-clicky tail cap. Press for on, let go for off. Twist for constant on. It's a purpose built tool.
    Last edited by bubbatime; 11-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMM View Post
    True, never had issues with the old LX2 and 6th Gen L1, twisting with one hand became second nature I got used to them real fast using icepick grip and twisting the tailcap using the thumb and index finger.
    Most of the time I don't need constant on anyway, so a lot of use is with pressing the button and releasing for momentary on.

I emitter swapped that L1 and used an AW 16340, so I had to recharge often and no issues with wearing down the tailcap threads.
    Boy those two lights got some real runtimes with me.

Once the EDCL-1T comes it will no doubt be my favorite.
    I often even use the twisty in the standard grip (output end close to thumb) using the same basic technique to twist on or off as in the tactical grip. Instead of gripping the body with my palm and using thumb and index on the tail cap, gripping the tail cap with my palm (and other fingers) and thumb and index to twist the body. No need for two hands in either grip and just as easy in either grip (more so with a 2x cell body).
    As noted the main asset of this UI is the momentary button.

Would love to see the runtime review on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    Years ago, I also hated the twisty. I didn't understand it. I though a clicky just made much more sense. I had limited experience with a twisty. Then I bought an A2 aviator incan with the twisty cap. Carried it every day. Used it daily. Learned what the fuss was about, and more importantly, WHY the twisty is a superior tactical light. You see, years ago, I didn't need a tactical light. I wasn't tactically minded. Then after becoming a police officer and receiving training, to include real life in your face training on the mean streets of a large urban city, I learned the value of a high-quality, tactical light. There really is nothing better than a Surefire two stage twisty tailcap for tactical use.

I understand that the vast majority of folks have no desire or need for a real tactical light. They need a general purpose light. And the clicky works perfect for those folks.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if you don't need a real deal tactical light, then don't buy one, and don't complain about it features, if thats not what you need. Buy something else more purpose built for you.

Look at the new Surefire Tactician. Purpose built to the specs of a guy who lives, eats, sleeps,and breaths tactical training. He chose a twisty, non-clicky tail cap. Press for on, let go for off. Twist for constant on. It's a purpose built tool.
    Bravo!! And thank you for helping keep our streets safe.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Received an email from Surefire regarding my EDCL1-T order.

"The items listed below are currently unavailable and have been backordered in accordance with the Backorder Preferences you selected. These items will be shipped as soon as they are available."

No surprises there but I was hoping they would at least give an expected delivery date.

Could be into next year at this rate.

Flashaholic

My flashlight guy said he will have some of the new surefires when i dropped off a few microtechs for service. He said a week and half, its been a week im sure. Ill go see whats what tomorrow.
    Surefire backup, Beretta, Microtech, fanboy.
    Current EDC-Copper Toolvn-E1D-SF Titan A with clicky.

Wonder when there be the first beamshot for the light...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast