Acebeam        
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Surefire EDCL1-T

Default Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Where are you guys seeing these? I cant find them anywhere on the bay.
    Sent ya a PM.

Thanks guys.

Only 1 left?

Quote Originally Posted by rjking View Post
    Only 1 left?
    Yeah last one. They went fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Where are you guys seeing these? I cant find them anywhere on the bay.
    I got mine from Quantico Tactical in NC (Aberdeen). That was Tuesday and they still had a few more in stock.

How come the EDCL1-T was available on the bay but the EDCL2-T was not?

Quote Originally Posted by Leksikon View Post
    I got mine from Quantico Tactical in NC (Aberdeen). That was Tuesday and they still had a few more in stock.
    Awesome store!!
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-06-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Mine is out for delivery right now...hopefully itíll arrive in a couple hours. Iíll make a video and post comparisons when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Mine is out for delivery right now...hopefully itíll arrive in a couple hours. Iíll make a video and post comparisons when it arrives!
    Whoop whoop! I hope you love it!
    Let me know if there's any gross beam tint!
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

Thanks all for the heads up on the eBay availability. Mine just arrived. Threads and o-rings were dry, but I applied some Nyogel myself, along with a little heat shrink tubing where the clip rubs against the tailcap to try to protect the ano for a little while.

Default Surefire EDCL1-T

Arrrgh, lucky. Mine is still out for delivery. I never have any idea when my mailman will come, they are crazy inconsistent. Have had packages arrive at 12pm all the way to 6-7pm.

Iíve had so many issues with them. Most recently, the family had just come back from vacation and I was expecting a package. I checked tracking, and the tracking said that a slip had been left with instructions on how to pick up my package. Well, lo and behold I couldnít find the slip for the life of me. We have Arlo wireless cameras, so I decided to take a look and see if a slip had actually been left. Whatddya know, the mailman just zipped by according to the cameraís feed. I ended up having to give them a call, go to the post office personally, and pick up the package. They told me that our regular mailman had been on vacation, and her sub had forgotten to take the package, so just marked it as missed.
    Last edited by the0dore3524; 01-08-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    Thanks all for the heads up on the eBay availability. Mine just arrived. Threads and o-rings were dry, but I applied some Nyogel myself, along with a little heat shrink tubing where the clip rubs against the tailcap to try to protect the ano for a little while.

Congratulations!
    Any info on tint by chance?

John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Hereís my best attempt at a laymanís description about the tint on my light: somewhat greenish. Itís actually not bad, Iíve had some Surefires in the past that were on the extreme side of green. This one is quite tolerable to me, but your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    Hereís my best attempt at a laymanís description about the tint on my light: somewhat greenish. Itís actually not bad, Iíve had some Surefires in the past that were on the extreme side of green. This one is quite tolerable to me, but your mileage may vary.
    Have you tried it with a 16340 cell? Totally understand if you donít want to be the first to find out if it works lol.

Have you tried it with a 16340 cell? Totally understand if you donít want to be the first to find out if it works lol.
    Nope, not doing that! I donít have a 16340 and donít intend to run my EDCL on anything but the partially depleted CR123s from my Arlo cameras.

Default Surefire EDCL1-T

Okay, mine came. Made a short video, but my mom interrupted so had to cut it short. Itís uploading right now; Iíll post the link when it finishes. Tint is pretty greenish on low, but nice on high. Iím not a big tint snob, so itís not a big deal to me, but just a heads-up.

https://youtu.be/916cJFL9bMs

Sorry Iím not that great at video reviews. Hopefully thisíll give ya guys an idea of what to expect though!
    Last edited by the0dore3524; 01-08-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Okay, mine came. Made a short video, but my mom interrupted so had to cut it short. Itís uploading right now; Iíll post the link when it finishes. Tint is pretty greenish on low, but nice on high. Iím not a big tint snob, so itís not a big deal to me, but just a heads-up.

Sorry Iím not that great at video reviews. Hopefully thisíll give ya guys an idea of what to expect though!
    Did you state that the battery cannot be removed from the tail? That seems strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen83 View Post
    Did you state that the battery cannot be removed from the tail? That seems strange to me.
    Yes, thatís standard for all E-series lights.

Thanks for making the video.

Enjoyed your vid. Surefire actually cherry picks for yellow-green LEDs. Those colors respond well to your eyes.

@the0, thanks for sharing the vid, it gives us reference points and better grasp of what the light can offer. What is the verdict for now? will you add up the EDCL-2T or Tactician? or you already did?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Default Surefire EDCL1-T

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Flashlight Dave: Youíre absolutely correct, I donít know why I said that in the video. Probably a bad case of ad-libbing on the fly lol. I remember reading in one of their catalogs they chose the tint of the LX2 specifically for what you said.

David: For now, I think itíll get some pocket carry but it probably wonít be my go-to light. I donít think Iíll get the EDCL2-T because itís so long. The EDCL1-T is already pushing the limits of a single-cell light for me haha. I MIGHT pick up the Tactician. I really like the size and form factor, but weíll see!

I had the opportunity to take it out tonight for about half an hour. Among flashlights, one of my other hobbies is body building. After hitting the weights, Iíll generally go on a 3-5 mile run for cardio. Gives me a great excuse to use my lights!

It was raining tonight and I live in the suburbs, so while there isnít a lot of illumination on the streets, there is still a good amount. Unfortunately, because of the beam pattern - wider with more spread - the light that the EDCL1-T puts out on low is quickly dissipated. Corroborate that with my bad eyesight; OK not that bad, but I wear glasses and it was raining, and I could scarcely see much more than 10 feet in front of me whilst running.

The real stars of the show were the high setting and two-stage tailcap. The high setting absolutely lights up the night. Great for getting driversí attention and making my presence known. As for the two-stage tailcap, itís great in that you have instantaneous access to high from low. I found that leaving the flashlight in constant-on low and then being able to go directly to high extremely convenient.

All in all, this is definitely a purpose-built light. As others have said, those who will benefit most from this light are probably professionals in the LE or tactical field. For my uses, the low is just too low (even though it looks much more than five lumens), although I could see the EDCL-1T being much more viable for stationary tasks.

Here is a pic:
    https://i.imgur.com/P1ALU50.jpg

Luckily Iíve got a waterproof case for my phone, but itís annoying to swap the cases out for my battery pack one. Maybe Iíll upgrade eventually for one of the newer models which are supposed to be IPX7 lol. I ended up giving up wearing my glasses while running halfway through. If it wasnít raining so bad and I had worn my glasses, I might have been able to make do with just the low, but Iím dubious on that. Rangeman watch held up just fine, as expected. A really cool feature on it is the barometer which lets ya predict the weather. Pretty cool knowing ahead of time what to expect.
    Last edited by the0dore3524; 01-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Yes, thatís standard for all E-series lights.
    Thats interesting! I've never owned an E series light. I'm hoping this will be my first if it can be bored to accept 18350s or have some other rechargeable option.

For my uses, the low is just too low (even though it looks much more than five lumens), although I could see the EDCL-1T being much more viable for stationary tasks.
    How does the low compare to the low on the LX2? Are they equally as bright or is the LX2 brighter? For, me the LX2 low is perfect. My decision to purchase the EDCL-1T mostly depends on how the low compares to the LX2. If it isn't as bright, I cant see purchasing it for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    Enjoyed your vid. Surefire actually cherry picks for yellow-green LEDs. Those colors respond well to your eyes.
    Lol, that sounds like an excuse to sell poor tinted emitters. Almost no one prefers green tinted lights. Most prefer lights on the black body line(close to pure white at 5500K) or slightly below with a rosey tint. Not to mention, all the best high CRI emitters currently on the market are slightly rosey tinted. As for yellow, if they wanted more of that then they should quit selling all cool white lights as the warmer CCT you go the more yellow is in the spectrum.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-09-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Surefire actually cherry picks for yellow-green LEDs. Those colors respond well to your eyes.
    Sounds like you've changed your opinion on how SureFire picks the sickly green LED's :

As for surefire lights I have many. I have two 6th gen L1s one having perfect white tint while the other has a sickly deep green tint. I have a fury with perfect white tint while doctordum has a yellow green tint. I have a E1B with perfect white tint while others have mentioned theirs being green. My LX2 is slightly green.
    In short I donít think Surefire is cherry picking green LEDs for their lights. I think its just the lottery.

Default Surefire EDCL1-T

The low on the EDCL1-T is lower than the LX2. Like you, the LX2 had the perfect low for me. At least the EDCL1-T is basically the LX1 that SureFire never came out with, though. Btw, I stuck in a 16340 and tried it for a few moments with no Iíll-effects. High and low worked perfectly.

Here is a picture directly from their 2012 catalog. They explicitly state they choose an LED with yellow-green tint, because the human eye is more sensitive to this color. I knew I read it somewhere!

https://imgur.com/a/di9wD

Question! Will the EDCL1 tailcap work on an EB1 or one of the new 2017 Aviators?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast