Imalent        
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Surefire EDCL1-T

Default Re: Surefire EDCL1-T

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    The low on the EDCL1-T is lower than the LX2. Like you, the LX2 had the perfect low for me.
    I think I am going to pass then. Seems like a great light for its intended use, but I fall outside of that market.

The EDCL2-T tailcap works on an EB1 so the 1-T should too.

Lo/hi worked just like the L2-T
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post

YESS!! I just bought one for the tailcap alone now. That was my one complaint with the Aviator is I missed the gas pedal switch
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    The low on the EDCL1-T is lower than the LX2. Like you, the LX2 had the perfect low for me. At least the EDCL1-T is basically the LX1 that SureFire never came out with, though. Btw, I stuck in a 16340 and tried it for a few moments with no I’ll-effects.
    Thanks for checking, is the low with 16340 higher than the low with a cr123? The 2 edcl2t's low gets higher when using 2x16340 is why I'm asking
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    Thanks for checking, is the low with 16340 higher than the low with a cr123? The 2 edcl2t's low gets higher when using 2x16340 is why I'm asking
    I mean, it probably is because the voltage is higher, but I couldn’t tell by the eye. Probably just slightly higher.

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    YESS!! I just bought one for the tailcap alone now. That was my one complaint with the Aviator is I missed the gas pedal switch
    Yeah it was kinda fun using the tailcap to do 5/200 instead of 200/5. Buuuuut, I had bought the EB1c because it starts on high.

It was fun the first couple days trying out various lights I own with parts from the EDCL-2T. Now if the tailcap is ever sold as a standalone.... my other EB1c (nightstand light) may get one.

Yeah it was kinda fun using the tailcap to do 5/200 instead of 200/5. Buuuuut, I had bought the EB1c because it starts on high.

It was fun the first couple days trying out various lights I own with parts from the EDCL-2T. Now if the tailcap is ever sold as a standalone.... my other EB1c (nightstand light) may get one.
    The other night I was out for a walk in the woods with my dog and a deer ran right by me by just a few feet. When I was able to get out my CCW a good 2 seconds before I could fumble to the right flashlight mode, I realized something needed to change. The gas pedal switch would be perfect.
    Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you

I'm seeing the perks of a gas pedal switch.

now to make a light with a high/low head like the tactician with the gas pedal, 4 modes, all easy to get to but out of the way if not wanted. That would be a home run for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    Sounds like you've changed your opinion on how SureFire picks the sickly green LED's :

You are correct! I have changed my mind.

It took me several years to finally come to the conclusion that Surefire really was serious about what they say about yellow green. My view is that they try to get yellow green LEDs until they run out and then move to whatever tint they can get. I think it was the solid green light they had at shot show that convinced me. I am not really fond of their tint but what Surefire has done did convince me to move more towards neutral white tactical lights over pure white.
    Last edited by Flashlight Dave; 01-10-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Flashaholic

I purchased my EDCL1-T from Quantico Tactical, and received it this previous Tuesday. So I've had a few days to assess it.

First of all, my carry light the last few years has been an HDS Systems 140 (219A) Executive. It's a great light; I love the heft, the customizability, the four settings, and, most of all, the tint. So this long winded review will mostly be a comparison between the EDCL1 and the HDS 140.

I love the HDS, but I've been wanting a more tactical oriented (simple) light that I can use for training/defense. The max setting is easy to access with the HDS, just click-and-hold, but I've missed it a few times under stress. While I could program the HDS 140 to come on at the max setting, I'd then have to push the bezel into my thigh every time I turn the light on and double click to a lower setting. In other words, I've come to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible (for me at least) to have what I want in a utility light and a defensive light at the same time. I also wanted something brighter than 140 lumens.

The tint:
    It's yellow with a hint of green. The green is more noticeable on the lower level. On high, the yellow tint almost makes the CCT seem warmer. It's overall not a bad tint, and I actually prefer it over a strong blue tint. However, the color from the HDS 140 219A and the EDCL1-T are not complementary at all. If I only use the EDCL1-T, I quickly adapt to the color of the beam, and it's fine. But next to the 219A, the EDCL1-T looks strongly green, whereas the Surefire makes the 219A tint, which I usually love, look rosey with a bit of brownish-purple, if that makes sense. Neither color looks good next to one another.

The beam:
    Surefire really hit a home run with the beam from this TIR. The hotspot is huge and bright, and it throws really well... all the while it also lights up everything around you. Simply said, I think it's perfect. I'm comparing a 140 lumen light to a 500 lumen light, so this obviously isn't fair, but the EDCL1-T's beam is wider, yet the hotspot is both bigger and brighter. The Surefire really lights up a room on high. But overall brightness aside, and the EDCL1-T does have a larger profile/wider beam.

The gas pedal:
    It's my first gas pedal switch, and I like it a lot. What I like about it: I never have to think about getting to high. Just mash the tailcap. But it's also practical, because even though I bought this light as a dedicated tactical flashlight, I'll still probably use it 99% of the time on low. It's also surprisingly easy to use the low without touching off the full lumens. There is quite a bit of movement in the switch to get to high, but, at the same time, getting to high is super easy. Lastly, I could hand this light to anybody, and they could easily figure out the UI. It's idiot proof. It's stress proof.

The low setting:
    It's brighter than 5 lumens. I'd guess it's closer to 15 lumens. This is simply a can't-please-everybody situation (there are times when 15 lumens isn't close to being bright enough, and there are times when 15 lumens is way too much light). The low setting is perfect for finding a keyhole, looking under your carseat, walking a trail by yourself, reading, examining a license, shinning the light in somebody's face to look at their eyes, etc. The low setting is NOT good for walking a trail with a number of people, wanting to see something across the room (light up a room without needing to blind yourself with the max)... the low setting is also not good in any situation where there is a lot of ambient light. Say you're walking somewhere sort of lit, but you need more light. The low will get washed-out by the ambient light. All-in-all, I think it's a good compromise, especially for a tactical light. Also, for the record, the low is pretty much identical to the primary setting on my HDS (which I customized by bumping the primary a couple of brightness levels), so 15 lumens is a pretty safe guess.

Other thoughts:
    This is the first Surefire I've been interested in since the Lumamax LX1 never materialized. It's also the first non-high CRI light I've bought in a long time, and probably the last. I really like this light, but I'm reminded why I stick to high CRI LED's: regular LED's have a way of washing everything flat. Overall, I'm very pleased with the EDCL1-T. My goal is to carry both lights. The EDCL1-T was not meant to replace my HDS, and it couldn't with the HDS's superior color rendering and four levels of light, but, at the same time, it's nice having a simple, ridiculously bright light. So while the color of their beams may not be complimentary, their use and function certainly match well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    I purchased my EDCL1-T from Quantico Tactical, and received it this previous Tuesday. So I've had a few days to assess it.

First of all, my carry light the last few years has been an HDS Systems 140 (219A) Executive. It's a great light; I love the heft, the customizability, the four settings, and, most of all, the tint. So this long winded review will mostly be a comparison between the EDCL1 and the HDS 140.

I love the HDS, but I've been wanting a more tactical oriented (simple) light that I can use for training/defense. The max setting is easy to access with the HDS, just click-and-hold, but I've missed it a few times under stress. While I could program the HDS 140 to come on at the max setting, I'd then have to push the bezel into my thigh every time I turn the light on and double click to a lower setting. In other words, I've come to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible (for me at least) to have what I want in a utility light and a defensive light at the same time. I also wanted something brighter than 140 lumens.

The tint:
    It's yellow with a hint of green. The green is more noticeable on the lower level. On high, the yellow tint almost makes the CCT seem warmer. It's overall not a bad tint, and I actually prefer it over a strong blue tint. However, the color from the HDS 140 219A and the EDCL1-T are not complementary at all. If I only use the EDCL1-T, I quickly adapt to the color of the beam, and it's fine. But next to the 219A, the EDCL1-T looks strongly green, whereas the Surefire makes the 219A tint, which I usually love, look rosey with a bit of brownish-purple, if that makes sense. Neither color looks good next to one another.

The beam:
    Surefire really hit a home run with the beam from this TIR. The hotspot is huge and bright, and it throws really well... all the while it also lights up everything around you. Simply said, I think it's perfect. I'm comparing a 140 lumen light to a 500 lumen light, so this obviously isn't fair, but the EDCL1-T's beam is wider, yet the hotspot is both bigger and brighter. The Surefire really lights up a room on high. But overall brightness aside, and the EDCL1-T does have a larger profile/wider beam.

The gas pedal:
    It's my first gas pedal switch, and I like it a lot. What I like about it: I never have to think about getting to high. Just mash the tailcap. But it's also practical, because even though I bought this light as a dedicated tactical flashlight, I'll still probably use it 99% of the time on low. It's also surprisingly easy to use the low without touching off the full lumens. There is quite a bit of movement in the switch to get to high, but, at the same time, getting to high is super easy. Lastly, I could hand this light to anybody, and they could easily figure out the UI. It's idiot proof. It's stress proof.

The low setting:
    It's brighter than 5 lumens. I'd guess it's closer to 15 lumens. This is simply a can't-please-everybody situation (there are times when 15 lumens isn't close to being bright enough, and there are times when 15 lumens is way too much light). The low setting is perfect for finding a keyhole, looking under your carseat, walking a trail by yourself, reading, examining a license, shinning the light in somebody's face to look at their eyes, etc. The low setting is NOT good for walking a trail with a number of people, wanting to see something across the room (light up a room without needing to blind yourself with the max)... the low setting is also not good in any situation where there is a lot of ambient light. Say you're walking somewhere sort of lit, but you need more light. The low will get washed-out by the ambient light. All-in-all, I think it's a good compromise, especially for a tactical light. Also, for the record, the low is pretty much identical to the primary setting on my HDS (which I customized by bumping the primary a couple of brightness levels), so 15 lumens is a pretty safe guess.

Other thoughts:
    This is the first Surefire I've been interested in since the Lumamax LX1 never materialized. It's also the first non-high CRI light I've bought in a long time, and probably the last. I really like this light, but I'm reminded why I stick to high CRI LED's: regular LED's have a way of washing everything flat. Overall, I'm very pleased with the EDCL1-T. My goal is to carry both lights. The EDCL1-T was not meant to replace my HDS, and it couldn't with the HDS's superior color rendering and four levels of light, but, at the same time, it's nice having a simple, ridiculously bright light. So while the color of their beams may not be complimentary, their use and function certainly match well together.
    Great to hear your thoughts! I agree with them wholeheartedly. I also have a HDS 140...if I could only choose one, it would definitely be the HDS. That being said, the EDCL1-T has been riding in my pocket the last couple days

Unenlightened

This may be a dumb question, but would it be possible to put the EDCL1-T head and switch on a 300 scout body and run it as a WML?

Not a bad question. Not at all.

But this thing is new so it may be nobody has tried it yet. In my case I don't own a scout for example.

Unenlightened

Not a bad question. Not at all.

But this thing is new so it may be nobody has tried it yet. In my case I don't own a scout for example.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have a z68 tailcap to see if it's compatible? Buying this light and scavenging it would probably be cheaper then buying the new surefire 500 lumen 1 cell head when it becomes available.

I have an EDCL2-T but...
    My thinking is it is a 2 cell version of this one. Same dimensions at the tail end.

I do have a z68.. the body of the 2-T at the tail end is suited to allow the z68 to thread onto it. But not all the way closed. And the 2-T tailcap has a longer spring. Fastening a z68 onto it, it does not go onto the 2-T body far enough for the spring to touch the battery(s).

I did not want to commit a yes or no to the scout light because the z68 works fine on my E2D LED Defender, yet on my E2E incan lights, ones with a twisty won't light with a z68.

Can you walk me through this please? I see how the gas pedal switch would work on a EB1 initially, but in my mind I imagine cycling the light on-off-on would also cycle the output settings.
    The EB1 cycles between high and low modes by the on-off-on application of current to the led/circuitry correct? So wouldn’t that same cycling, through the EDCL switch, also change the output?

I like the idea of an EB1 with gas pedal switch but don’t like that it would (in my theory) still cycle to the low setting if the button is repeatedly mashed on and off.

The EDCL1 I ordered is stuck on backorder, so this is where my mind has wandered!

Still waiting on Surefire to send this as I ordered on 21 November. I hope these ship soon.

The tailcap from my EDCL2-T made my EB1c work like the EDCL2-T.

Light press was low, hard press was high.
    Somebody smarter than me will have to explain how an LED module can be 'programmed' to start on high or low. Or for that matter how a clicky makes it change voltage amounts in order to achieve low or high...

But the EDCL2-T tailcap feeds the voltage needed for low output with a slight press and voltage for high with full press.
    No cycling like a clicky.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-14-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Smarter than me, too. Thanks for verifying that.
    Have you tried the clicky cap on your EDCL2?

Quote Originally Posted by warmpabst View Post
    Smarter than me, too. Thanks for verifying that.
    Have you tried the clicky cap on your EDCL2?
    From my EB1c, yes.
    Got high only. If you want max output and only max output it's great.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the difference in the UI between the EDCL2-T and Tactician?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, what is the difference in the UI between the EDCL2-T and Tactician?
    The EDCL2-T has a "gas pedal" switch. Press softly for low. Press harder for high.

The tactician is more like a Malkoff. Tighten the head for high. Loosen for low. The tail cap is momentary only. It will not latch on.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    The EDCL2-T(and EDCL1-T) has a gas pedal style tailcap where you push softly for low or harder for high. You tighten it for constant on.

The Tactician has a momentary tailcap you push for momentary on. You tighten it for constant on. The high and low is controlled via the head. You tighten it for high or loosen it for low.
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-14-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBoys View Post
    The other night I was out for a walk in the woods with my dog and a deer ran right by me by just a few feet. When I was able to get out my CCW a good 2 seconds before I could fumble to the right flashlight mode, I realized something needed to change. The gas pedal switch would be perfect.
    I made this exact same observation in almost the same situation a year or two ago. Mash tailcap for lots of light involves almost no fine motor skill, and is probably the best high pressure situation solution for UI when it comes to lighting things up under stress. Now if we could do away with the green tint...

@Modernflame @Tachead
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Mine arrived today (ordered from SF Nov 20). I'm very pleased. I like the levels and the TIR. This light will see some use.

Quote Originally Posted by troutpool View Post
    Mine arrived today (ordered from SF Nov 20). I'm very pleased. I like the levels and the TIR. This light will see some use.
    Did they let you know it shipped or did it just show up?

Quote Originally Posted by troutpool View Post
    I ordered mine from Surefire on 21 November. I hope that means I'm close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz68 View Post
    I ordered mine from Surefire on 21 November. I hope that means I'm close.
    I ordered mine December 10th, and it came today. No shipment notification, but I use UPS My Choice so I saw it had shipped a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Did they let you know it shipped or did it just show up?
    They first sent an email notification of shipping with a tracking number.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast