NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

Default Re: Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

I really don't get on with multimode lights, Gene's Hi/Lo switch is the bee's knees for me, and my MDC's are single mode.
    However, I have an HDS Clicky and for this UI I make an exception.
    If Gene could licence the driver from Henry it would be a good thing. But really, I like my Malkoffs the way they are.
    They aren't broke.
    P

I would be intersted in a MDC XP-L programmable flashlight, hoping it would have high frequency PWM.

I've never been bothered by PWM, but then again, I've never been bothered by the tint shift associated with current control. While I prefer the simplicity of a high low ring, I'm not too picky about the means by which a low beam is achieved electronically.

I would program mine with two settings: a sub lumen moonlight mode and a good working medium output mode. Run time is the name of the game. I've got other lights for power, when needed.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

This thread has been quiet for a while, I'm curious if there was enough interest for Gene to move forward with this project.

IMHO I really hope not. His lights now a basically bombproof. Putting more or any electronics in his lights is one more thing that can and let’s face it “that’s life”will go wrong.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Truly high end components that make up driver boards these days are super reliable especially if the board is designed well and thermal considerations are properly dealt with.
    I see no reason why a programmable driver series couldn't run alongside the more traditional lights currently offered...

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Truly high end components that make up driver boards these days are super reliable especially if the board is designed well and thermal considerations are properly dealt with.
    I see no reason why a programmable driver series couldn't run alongside the more traditional lights currently offered...

I can't imagine that Mr. Malkoff would allow quality to slip, as that is the cornerstone of his business. Since he's bound by a lifetime guarantee, it remains in his best interests to produce another hard wearing flashlight.

I would absolutely buy an MDC XPL with a programmable driver. Actually, I was thinking about trying to replace the driver in a new MDC XPL with the Dr Jones H17 with Lucidrv. I love the ability to program modes and have a hidden mode that is easy to access. Has anyone nodded a Malkoff MDC before?

Quote Originally Posted by ch4ins4w View Post
    I would absolutely buy an MDC XPL with a programmable driver. Actually, I was thinking about trying to replace the driver in a new MDC XPL with the Dr Jones H17 with Lucidrv. I love the ability to program modes and have a hidden mode that is easy to access. Has anyone modded a Malkoff MDC before?
    Can always just get what you want from @Tana ...

... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    IMHO I really hope not. His lights now a basically bombproof. Putting more or any electronics in his lights is one more thing that can and let’s face it “that’s life”will go wrong.
    I agree. Anyway, there's already a programmable Malkoff, it's made by HDS.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    P
    Your point is well taken, but the success of the HDS should put to rest any fears of a programmable flashlight being unreasonably susceptible to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    P
    Malkoff and HDS are sort of apples and oranges... There are several seemingly small, but very important differences between a Malkoff and an HDS.

One really big distinction is the use of the McClicky forward clicky switch in the Malkoff while HDS uses a non user replaceable switch that is a reverse clicky. The end result is quite a different user interface even if you don't care about the programmability.

Never mind.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 03-25-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Your point is well taken, but the success of the HDS should put to rest any fears of a programmable flashlight being unreasonably susceptible to failure.
    Big HDS fan here always will be. But imo malkoff lights are pretty straight forward. Meaning and I could be wrong here there is not much to them. A potted led module a tube and a switch.all very robust and proven. This is what I love so much about them hds lights are WAY more involved and complex. There is just way more to go wrong. And can’t help to think that all the HUGE delivery problems hds has had at one time or another are due to this. Again imo
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Big fan of both HDS and Malkoff ... but have had way more glitches with my HDS torches than my Malkoffs.
    ... is the archimedes peak

An intriguing idea (to me at least) would be the ability to order a light programmed the way you want. No user programability, and simplicity is retained. Imagine being able to buy an MDC for example, and specify 1, 2, or 3 output levels, and define what you wanted them to be. Want a single mode 25 lumen light? Want a 2-mode light with a moonlight mode and a super high mode? Why not let the customer order whatever he wants, and program the driver to deliver it?

Flashaholic*

Default Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

HDS lost me at about $250 cheapest light they make...
    For that money it should come with a FREE 18650 tube.
    In addition I am not going to waste my money on arrogant HDS dealers.
    When something is that expensive the dealers that represent HDS should be carefully chosen.
    And no, I am not buying the HDS maker has no control over the HDS dealers.
    Last edited by marinemaster; 03-25-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Big fan of both HDS and Malkoff ... but have had way more glitches with my HDS torches than my Malkoffs.
    Hmmm...As a Malkoff junkie and a prospective HDS customer, that's something to consider. No matter what happens, whether Malkoff creates this new thing or not, my high/low rings and my drop ins won't be going anywhere.

When I first read this thread I had not considered anything beyond light interfaces changing by a series of half press n hold like the "ten tap" system. And if Gene does that sort of thing I'm on board. I've had zero issues with a host of different companies using that approach.

If he ends doing something my laptop has to play a part in, that to me would be a step backwards. Like a trip back in time to the HexBright days or something.

I like what glimmer said in post 106.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-25-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

I like programmable lights, but I'm less and less willing to shell out for lights that use PWM. If this hypothetical programmable light uses the same PWM as the MDC, then I'm not interested. I notice the PWM used by my MDC every time I use the lower outputs for any length of time. Every time. Every. Single. Time. I tolerate it because I like almost everything else about the MDC, but I wish it were better (either enough higher frequency that I no longer notice it or a switch to current control of the LED).

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
    HDS lost me at about $250 cheapest light they make...
    For that money it should come with a FREE 18650 tube.
    In addition I am not going to waste my money on arrogant HDS dealers.
    When something is that expensive the dealers that represent HDS should be carefully chosen.
    And no, I am not buying the HDS maker has no control over the HDS dealers.
    I am not exactly sure how to respond to this, but i will say this... after I say, how did this become a Malkoff/HDS systems thread...hahaha

ok... A malkoff device is a straight forward device and will cost around _$100ish- $150ish MDC/MD2 M61. Straight forward and simple. Great design, durable, fairly good finish quality. A programmable Malkoff will most likely be more expensive if it ever comes to reality. 1-3 modes of output, currently

HDS systems is an entirely different class. Malkoff is like a Spyderco, HDS is like a Chris Reeves. There is a lot involved in a HDS and battery tubes are not just tubes like Malkoff. there are electronics in both the head and tail on an HDS.

Sure HDS is a bit more expensive but look at what you are getting for the price difference. Look at the whole picture and you will see that the price is not all that bad.
    Possibly a more rugged light (subjective)
    Higher tolerances in design/build quality
    Better quality in fit/finish
    user programmable with several additional features
    24 modes of output easily accessible
    Can be programmed to work as a Rotary and clicky
    Light is actually calibrated and more efficient

I'm sure there is more to say but i will leave it here. A HDS Rotary can replace all Malkoff lights 350+ lm range into 1 single light (will keep up with an M61/MDC16650. I have many Malkoff lights which cost several hundreds to thousands of dollars; where i only need 1 HDS rotary to replace most of the Malkoffs i own. So HDS is not over priced and as good if not better than lights of higher output.
    Most people do not look at all the details and complete picture and only focus on price. yes $250+ seems like a lot for 1 light, but you are getting many lights in one that is stupid simple to use, just as the Malkoffs. Malkoff and HDS are my 2 favorite brands and i will continue to support both.

Not sure where you are having issues with HDS dealers, I buy direct From Henry as i do from Gene, or i buy in the marketplace here and that is it for me. Both companies also have a great support system here which is a plus for me, but i will give credit to Malkoff for having the best customer service hands down.

Hmmm...As a Malkoff junkie and a prospective HDS customer, that's something to consider. No matter what happens, whether Malkoff creates this new thing or not, my high/low rings and my drop ins won't be going anywhere.
    I on the other hand have had more issues with Malkoff and none so far with HDS systems. I have told you this before, but You need to at least try one out, even if you buy from the marketplace (which is where i recommend to start)

I am always in for checking out new products from Gene, we will see what he brings this year
    Last edited by INFRNL; 03-26-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Default Re: Malkoff Devices--Ramping UI

I had a wonderful chat with Gene last week and he gave me permission to share some details about this project. His experiments with user programmable drivers yielded some fruit, but the user interface was too complicated. Gene prefers to make simple flashlights, so he's settled on a different idea.

Instead of programming the mode sequence with a series of clicks, it will having a ramping UI. You can choose one of two tracks:

1) The light comes on in moonlight mode, then with a double click and hold you can ramp up to your desired level. Or,

2) The light comes on in high mode, the with a double click and hold you can ramp down to your desired level.

Personally, I find this much more interesting than what we'd previously discussed when I started this thread. True to form, I forgot to ask about max output or the dreaded hush word.

Still no release date, but I have the impression it will happen in 2018.

What do you guys think?!
    Last edited by Modernflame; 04-02-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Just wondering if it’ll have a memory for the last output the light was at when you turn it off?

I hope it will have an option to turn memory off/on and hybrid. I prefer no memory but this way it overs everybody. Yeah modernflame that reminds of the crescendo firmware what youre describing. Would work nice in this type of light
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Quote Originally Posted by jdboy View Post
    Just wondering if it’ll have a memory for the last output the light was at when you turn it off?
    I'm not sure about this detail. I don't remember him mentioning a mode memory, but I certainly don't claim to speak for Mr. Malkoff. I had a list of questions going into the phone call, but he's a great conversationalist and we migrated a bit from topic to topic. Forgot to ask.

I had a wonderful chat with Gene last week and he gave me permission to share some details about this project. His experiments with user programmable drivers yielded some fruit, but the user interface was too complicated. Gene prefers to make simple flashlights, so he's settled on a different idea.

Instead of programming the mode sequence with a series of clicks, it will having a ramping UI. You can choose one of two tracks:

1) The light comes on in moonlight mode, then with a double click and hold you can ramp up to your desired level. Or,

2) The light comes on in high mode, the with a double click and hold you can ramp down to your desired level.

Personally, I find this much more interesting than what we'd previously discussed when I started this thread. True to form, I forgot to ask about max output or the dreaded hush word.

What do you guys think?!
    Sounds like a nice idea. Simple is good. Can't wait to see the end result!

Double click and hold sounds like maybe an electronic switch? How could that be?

The Crescendo with a reverse clicky uses a single click from off, then half press to stop at the desired ascending level. Two half presses ramps the intensity down, with a half press to stop ramping.

Thinking the only mode memory maybe either starts on high or starts on low.

The Emisar user interface is more efficient but needs an electronic switch.

We need more details, please. Respect to Malkoff

What do you guys think?!
    I think this UI is very interesting.
    if possible I would change only a few things.

from off: long press turns on the flashlight in moonlight mode. long press gradually increases the power of the flashlight. when releasing the button the lantern stops to increase the power and stays in that power.

from the off: double click turns on the flashlight in maximum mode.

(long press decreases gradually the power of the flashlight. when releasing the button the flashlight stops to decrease the power and records this power) this functionality does not have to exist, but it would be an extra.

from the off: a single click starts the flashlight in the last mode / power used.

What do you mean, "having to choose between two tracks"?

would it be something similar to the streamlight's tentap system?
    would it be something similar to the products we have today? (lmh head, sho head, etc)

what I do not like is having to choose between a flashlight model that starts in moonlight and another one that starts in high mode.
    it is much, much better to have these two features in one flashlight without having to buy a FMO head (First Moonlight Output) and another FHO head (First High Output).
    Last edited by marco.weiss; 04-03-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Default Malkoff Devices--User Programmable Flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    I think this UI is very interesting.
    if possible I would change only a few things.

from off: long press turns on the flashlight in moonlight mode. long press gradually increases the power of the flashlight. when releasing the button the lantern stops to increase the power and stays in that power.

from the off: double click turns on the flashlight in maximum mode.

(long press decreases gradually the power of the flashlight. when releasing the button the flashlight stops to decrease the power and records this power) this functionality does not have to exist, but it would be an extra.

from the off: a single click starts the flashlight in the last mode / power used.

What do you mean, "having to choose between two tracks"?

would it be something similar to the streamlight's tentap system?
    would it be something similar to the products we have today? (lmh head, sho head, etc)

what I do not like is having to choose between a flashlight model that starts in moonlight and another one that starts in high mode.
    it is much, much better to have these two features in one flashlight without having to buy a FMO head (First Moonlight Output) and another FHO head (First High Output).
    So you want the crescendo UI that’s in the Emisar d4. I find this UI very nice. You could us this UI in a tail click light, just needs to be reverse clickly to work without an electronic switch.

perfect!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast