New Streamlight PolyTac X Flashlight?

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I tried to post this earlier but since I am new I don't think it made it here.

Since I like Streamlight products, I was looking at their site and new products and saw a "POLYTAC X" model at 600 lumens, dual fuel battery support and the Tenkey feature with High/Medium/Low.

So I thought, maybe this would be a less expensive/lightweight flashlight at a lower price point - Googling it though I can find nothing, no prices..no reviews and no info outside of a link back to their site.

Maybe this is so new that nobody has reviewed it or is selling it? I just wanted to know what the price is since if around the $40 range it would make for a nice glovebox light.

Anyone seen or heard of this?

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/polytac-x

polytacx_black_angle.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight has been releasing new lights all year. One by one their ProTac stuff is getting upgrades with brighter outputs and dual fuel options.

It sounds like the PolyTac is now included. I have a couple of the previous model and they've been great. The newer stuff I've seen have a much more neutral beam than previous models as well.

Go for it!!

I see the clip is now a two-way too. Nice.
BrightGuy is typically one of the first with new Streamlight stuff. Owned and operated by a long time flashaholic. He's not always the cheapest, but you are guarenteed to get the Real McCoy, and with eBay and Amazon being littered with fakes, sometimes that extra $5 or so is worth the peace of mind.

Last edited:

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I like the dual clip also, I have a Pro Tac HL-X and like the ability to set it to Low/Medium/High which this will do also. Really like that it will also take dual 123s or an 18650 as well.

I guess it's so new that nobody has it available or even knows the price yet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Seems that way blue. Probably very similar in price to the previous one. Most Streamlights are made over seas now so the prices are staying competitive.

Oh, and welcome to CPF.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
BrightGuy is typically one of the first with new Streamlight stuff. Owned and operated by a long time flashaholic. He's not always the cheapest, but you are guarenteed to get the Real McCoy, and with eBay and Amazon being littered with fakes, sometimes that extra $5 or so is worth the peace of mind.

Just about everything SL sells is made in China. Who knows, the "knock-offs" could very well be coming from the same factory. As a former product manager with a few product lines made in China, I know this "back door distribution" to be an unfortunate truth of doing business in China.

Good to hear the beams of the new lights are a bit more neutral. The 275 lumen PolyTac I carry in my car has a police interceptor blue beam.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good!

If they use a neutral tint like they have been using in their newer lights and various 18650's will work in it, I think this will be a winner for Streamlight.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks NH, BY, xxo and Thermal - I checked brightguy's site (I've seen some of their videos on youtube) but he doesn't have this one. I think it's so new it hasn't made it out to vendors yet.

Last edited:

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
The light is no longer showing on backorder and was available at Optics Planet for $59 (Thanks Piercelight).

I also picked up a few other items there and I was able to use their $10 off coupon plus free shipping.

Once I get the light and play around with it I will try to post a review.

Thanks everyone!

Jev

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived. Pretty neat light for general use and nice polymer body that you won't be scared to throw around. The light output does seem neutral compared to other led lights. Neutral to where the spot beam in the middle has a slight yellow/green hue to it(could just be my eyes). I do wish it could tail stand, it barely does since the button ever so slightly sticks out.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
does the 275 lum model take 18650 batts?
and does x model come with 18650 batt and chgr?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and I returned it the next day. I have bought lots of Streamlights past few years but this one has a bad design. I pretty much bought all of their Polymer lights in past few years including the 3AA Polymer lantern. Is awesome.
This Polytac model was perfect on paper with 18650 AND 2x123 then perfectly spaced levels, yellow body easy to find and great warranty. But this thing needs to go back to the drawing board. It has a spring that is not attached to the body or led module that can be easily lost, the changing of the levels does not work right no matter what I tried. The timing between changing the levels sucks. I have an older SF E2L two level and the timing between low and high is perfect. Streamlight still needs to learn. All the Polymer lights I have from them are solid no lose standalone springs, easy to change levels.
After Surefire lost their minds by making only ONE level 1000 plus lumens I am no longer interested in their lights. I am just a consumer looking for a dependable light with 50 to 100 lumens. Streamlight is the next stop reliable manufacturer and so far they have had great designs but they need to redo this one.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have the new Polytac X which takes the 18650s. It's great and I am very happy with it. To contrast with marinemaster, I actually found that I do like the TEN TAP interface and the Polytac X is far more versatile than the G2X Pro due to its ability to toggle between UIs (low-med-hi, hi only, hi and strobe). It feels fairly robust to me and thus far I also really enjoy the new pocket clip.

mikespike2

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Polytac X because it is 18650 compatible. For $40 it will be my go-to gift to bring a few family members on board with 18650 cells. I am also trying to move away from primary lights and over to 18650 since the batteries are so good now.

I will second Carrot. I am very happy with the light. The tailcap switch feels good for both momentary and click feel. It took a minute but I did figure out how to change modes with the TEN TAP interface. The manual left a bit to desired and I thought it would enter a programming mode. In reality, you depress the number of times stated and it just switches to the next mode. Do it again to switch to the third mode. Then it cycles back around to start over. Three modes total. Once I did it twice I realized how it worked and it's pretty easy. I put it on high only mode for now.

The plastic is not cold to the touch and has great grip. The dual direction belt clip is ok, easy to engage because it has a generous lead-in.
Bright yellow plastic is great to keep one in the car too. I use EVVA protected Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh cells from MTN Electronics, $9/ea.

I'd say it is on par with a G2X Pro, P2X Fury, or 6PX Pro for brightness. If only Surefire would allow those lights to use 18650. Instead, I find I am slowly moving away from their products. The P1R Peacekeeper is great and uses 18650's but they discontinued it so I'm glad I bought one in time.

Last edited: