Help picking new batteries!

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
I have Orbtronic 3400mah protected 18650's, i bought them after lots of research two years ago. I was wondering if there are any 18650's thats come out since then that are the same or better qaulity for a lower price. The orbs are $15 a piece!

I like that the orbs are rated for 10a cont. but still protected, i don't have any lights that pull that much but who knows what the future holds. I want a reliable, protected 18650 with similiar specs for a better price. Any suggestions?

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened

ven

Flashaholic
Your better off buying your side GRAY unless GB has stock in the USA warehouse. The cell is a pany B, 3400mah so any cells you see, be it orb/keeppower/nitecore etc etc, they are pany B inside. Its a good cell, maybe good for 5a ish, but ageing now. 14500 wise, not much choice like there is in 18650, i have AWT/efest/ mainly and sure KeepPower as well. Most are 600-750 ish mah iirc.............All have been fine so far, some going on 4+yrs old. Check places like mtn elec, goinggear,illumn,imrbatteries etc. It can be hit/miss ordering from over seas due to all the restrictions.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Once again ven, thanks, and great info!!!

But why better off?
Is it the shipping that takes so long (non-issue) or is it a qaulity issue with the non-US warehouses?

Reason im looking at the B instead of the GA is i cant find any protected ga button tops in stock that i trust are legit.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
The B are fine, just dated to what is out there. As for better off, well more chance of genuine cells, easy to return, no issue with shipping from over seas and actually receiving them. Then if need to return you can, not going to happen if China(cost/regulations).

Buying from local reputable shops is the best and safest way. Buying/importing cells(especially pany B which are aged), there is no telling age/condition.

What is the protected cell for? I hardly have any protected cells, most lights these days have low voltage warnings(blink or simply wont go into high modes). Most lights wont even work bellow 3v, if they do you wont get turbo or high.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha on the other retailers, i've dealt with that before.
All my lights have protections built in but I like the protected batteries because i share them with the less technically inclined in my immediate family. So im really just worried about them when being transported or changed outside of a device (which i usually do anyway). Also, none of my lights pull any more than 4 amps max so i dont have any need for the high amperes that only unprotected can provide.

My nitecore has a reverse polarity protection that wont allow flattops, thus the button requirement.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone!!!

One more question please! I ordered some battery wraps and insulators and while i was browsing came across a rubber seal for 18650's.

What are these used for? Its not flat like the insulators but looks stepped like it covers the shoulder of the top of the battery too.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Makes sense but still has the hole in the middle, i was wondering if its another type of insulator. They make paper and plastic so i figured rubber was just another type of insulator to choose from. Not second guessing you, im not very good at describing things proper, i just figured they wouldnt have a hole for transport purposes. Also meant shoulder like outside negative edge of top not top of button or flattop positive, there's still a hole there to allow it to make contact. Wish i could post pics

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
It sits on the top of the cell, as you say an insulator and offers some protection. Other wise you would just have the actual wrap between the + and -(the - is the whole outside of the cell around the + centre).

Can see here around the + flat top in the not very good pic!
DmIkKAOl.jpg

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
It sits on the top of the cell, as you say an insulator and offers some protection. Other wise you would just have the actual wrap between the + and -(the - is the whole outside of the cell around the + centre).

Can see here around the + flat top in the not very good pic!
DmIkKAOl.jpg

Right, thats a white paper or plastic insulator and they are flat with i.d. (inside diameter) 10.5mm for flattop and i.d. of 6mm for button.

Google (18650 rubber seal) and its the first one in Images. Its a fasttech rubber seal with i.d. of 16.5mm center hole but it has an overhang on the edge. There are others that are the same type from different vendors. Im starting to believe they are for e-cigs but wanted some more input. Thought it might be better than paper or plastic and offer more protection on battery casing corners (where the pvc wrap usually shows first signs of damage). Sorry if its still vague thats the best i can do at the moment since i cant post attachments.

Last edited:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Nevermind, i figured out what it is. Its a gasket that is used between the battery casing negative and positive disk (flat or button electrode) at the top of the battery. So the positive disk goes in, then the insulating rubber gasket, then the top is crimped and finally the insulating ring (the white on top of the battery in the pic ven so kindly shared). Took some digging but didnt figure it out till i pulled up several pics of 18650 part diagrams and disassemblies.

Sorry for the trouble but thanks everyone, i appreciate all the help!!

Last edited:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE: i like to be informed on updates when people finally make a decision, so for those of you who do as well here goes

Against ven's good advice on taking gambles with Chinese warehouses, i ordered the pany B's from gearbest (no U.S. warehouse available at the time), i figured worst that can happen is im out $20 (won't really be happy but i've spent more on dumber). If all goes well then i've got plenty of protected batteries to ease my mind and didnt break the bank.
Which helped me with my order (not from GB) of wraps, insulators, cases and f2 charger.

I also ordered a Sanyo UR14500P 840mAh from IMR batteries which will be my first foray in 14500's but only have one light that will run that at the moment so might be my last lol.

As for the GA's im gonna keep an eye on prices and pick some of those up too. With the other protected cells covering all my (and my peeps) needs for now, i'll be able to put my mind at ease ordering some unprotected cells for my use only. That will allow me to future proof any 18650 purchases by having some cells i can push should i need to if i buy an amp eater or throw a triple into the s2+, while having protected batteries to swap out for my immediate family.

Again, Thanks for all the help and great suggestions, it saves me alot of time and thats more valuable than any deal i come across!

Last edited:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
I recommend sanyo/panasonic ncr 18650GA 3500 mah protected.. mtnelctronics sell for $9.99 each.. shipping is only $3.78. Here is a link.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=289

Thanks for finding what i couldn't! Your google-fu is strong young grasshopper!!! I almost ordered them then backed out when i thought about the powerbanks we use with my other 18650s and how nice it would be to have 4 for $20 instead of 2. It's a gamble and If my gift list wasnt so extensive this year i would have got these, but the decision is made. Nevertheless thank you for taking the time to reply and post a great deal, hopefully it will help someone else too!