Flashlight for Grandmother

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 89 year old grandmother needs a reliable flashlight to help around the house. She's got arthritis in her right hand, so the device must operable with one hand. Push button only. No twisty interface. AA or AAA cells only. C and D cell lights will be unwieldy for her. Single mode. Multi-mode devices will not be received well. Output is not tremendously significant. 200 lumens is enough. 300 is splendid. More is unnecessary. I'd have gladly bought her a Malkoff M31/VME set up, but she's had a lifelong tendency to lose things. Age has not helped in this regard, so it needs to be relatively inexpensive. For the perfect light, I'd spend up to $50, but I'd rather spend less. Something in the $25 range would better. I looked at Walmart today, but was surprised that nothing fit the bill.

Thanks.

ven

Flashaholic
Not much that fits tbh, how about something like a minimag pro which is a 2xAA light. Seems around a good happy medium size, not too big and cumbersome................not too small to easily loose. Side switch and around 245lm.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert on Maglites, but searches for that light turn up hits for a twisty device. It's almost perfect, but the push button is a must. Or have I missed something?

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Yep, keep it very simple. One of the traditional lower-priced Maglites, like this one here has a push-button, no levels, about a simple as you get. Almost 200 lumens (is 168 enough?).

$22.75

And you can pick a pretty color you know she likes.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Blast!! There is a liteXpress tail cap, this can be used instead of the end cap. Thats is of course rear though, not side switch.

Fenix do some nice 2xAA lights with a side switch, but not single mode.

Klarus do a P1A and P2A, single and 2xAA version. These are rear clicky, but a very simple(and good) UI. Head loose or tight for a high/low. I had the P1A and it was a super easy UI, pretty tough little light that took many drops before loosing it(single AA version).

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK 4AA eLED RFL Flashlight, yellow body front switch. No personal experience with this light but but UK has a good reputation. The eLED is a single mode with a side switch and come in bright yellow that stands out. Should be reliable and not terribly expensive. Bright Star Razor might be another possibility but it is not 200 lumens.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I am not a big fan of 3 AAA lights, the Maglite XL50 might work, 200 lumens, soft electronic switch, around $30, has low and strobe modes though these can be ignored as a single click will get you high every time (low and strobe are accessed by quick double or triple clicks respectively).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
out of what I know from grandmothers with athritis and grandmothers in general ...
... there is ony one type of flashlight (if they really want and use one!)

* a C-cell (because that is the best "Athritis-size" and
* rechargeable without removing the batteries (aka: charging cradle)

just imagine how "easy" she will be off with any light, were we already start to fight when changing batteries.
Getting rid of that alone might make the key for her

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Reading this thread since my parents are in their 80s and only have one questionable rechargeable flashlight.

I ordered two XL-50's (his and hers one on red and one in silver) and an 8 pack of Lithium batteries (they don't sell 6 packs) which I will install for them.

This will be a nice Christmas gift they will appreciate if we get an ice storm this winter or blackout this summer and the power goes off.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, the lithiums are sold in multiples of 4.
Show them how to "lock out" their XL50's since it has a slow parasitic drain. Twist tailcap loose until it turns off. About a full turn is all it takes. Either that or leave them a spare 8 pack. Good lookin' out for the seasoned folks.

XL 50 is a GREAT choice for older folks and you picked good colors for them to see in low light.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the lithiums are sold in multiples of 4.
Show them how to "lock out" their XL50's since it has a slow parasitic drain. Twist tailcap loose until it turns off. About a full turn is all it takes. Either that or leave them a spare 8 pack. Good lookin' out for the seasoned folks.

XL 50 is a GREAT choice for older folks and you picked good colors for them to see in low light.

Thanks, when I go over how to use them I will definitely show them that.