NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

Default Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

Not only is this my oldest led flashlight, it's been my most used and best tinted light that I've ever owned.

It's been getting used everyday, since I can remember. It sits on my dresser and gets turned-over to illuminate the bedroom, while I'm getting dressed each morning, without disturbing my wife.

So, what's your oldest led flashlight?

... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Default Re: Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

My oldest is the Fenix TK11 R2. That one is where it all started for me

The oldest led flashlight I own would probably have to be my HDS 170 Golden Dragon. This light was build somewhere in the 2009-2010 timeframe.

EDIT: I actually had forgotten about my original Inova X5. I think I got it around 2006 or 2007.

Last edited by jdboy; 11-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Brinkmann "Long Life LED"
    Just like this one: http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/brinkman.htm

The, still ongoing, lifetime review.... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Life-LED-Light
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Good thread idea.

Not sure what years these are from:

L to R:
    A Brinkmann Long Life my father in law gave me for fixing his (brighter) 4C Maglite, a 65 lumen Pentagon L2 that has a suprisingly good beam, an early minimag LED, an early LED Lenser V2 triple (with a whopping 12 purple lumens), and a Pelican 2390 that also has a surprisingly good beam.

Not shown are the ARC aaa LE (nip), an nip 3 watt minimag, a 65 lumen SureFire G2L and an nip Coast/LED Lenser turbo torch with an amazing 50 lumen turbo.
    The bykfixer museum has set out to acquire a few early production, trend setting LED lights from the days when a light bulb was brighter, yet LED lights were starting to show up in stores.
    The LED Lenser V2 triple was my bedside table lamp for years. No idea where I got it, but when I arrived here it got retired in exchange for a Malkoff MD2 set on low then an Elzetta Alpha with a hi/lo switch that stayed on low. But I use the Pentagon and Pelican often.

Oh snap. I forgot about the Gen 1 Inovas... emmisive energy owned X1, X3 and X5... I have some early Nite Ize owned versions still nip as well. But my favorite is the 85 lumen X1. That's a goody.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-25-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

A Fenix PD01 that still works like new!

Flashaholic*

My oldest is a Photon Freedom Micro that I got when they first came out. Still going.

My oldest handheld light is a Malkoff Wildcat V1 or a Hound Dog V1. I can't remember which came out first.
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

Either my 70s circa Eveready Captain or Captain Jr. (3D, 2C). The PR6 (incan bulbs) burned out awhile back, so I bought some kind of Niteize led (~50 lumens) and replaced both.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Banned

My first LED light was a "Minicree". That is what the seller called it. It is basically a SIPIK type zoomie.It cost about $7. I got it on 11.24.2012[yesterday was its anniversary!]

I still use it but not that much as I have progressed to better EDC's and numerous modified V54/OSTS search lights which I use on a daily basis.

It is modded now. It went from ~200 lumens to 600 lumens/75Kcd

Dexlight x1 bought circa 2007. Still functional and in use.
    My flashlight is bigger than yours...

The oldest one I currently own in my Nitecore TM11 which I purchased in I believe 2013. I have owned Nitecore G2s and Steramlight Microstreams before that, but not the ones I currently own. I seem to have gone through a phase where several of my lights have run away from home, and I was forced to buy replacements.
    If you want to go by age of the light itself, I have an original incan Surefire G2 and 6C that I have upgraded to multi-mode LED drop-ins. I got both of them on Ebay in their original packaging a couple of years ago.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Flashaholic

Inova x5, probably 2004 vintage or thereabouts. I think it still has a pair of old Panasonics in, and still works!

Oh, and I still have a Fenix P1D with Leef clicky, and a P3D with the rebel.
    Last edited by Scourie; 11-25-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Flashaholic*

CMG Infinity (red LED) I think. The Infinity and INOVA X1 were the first LED lights I purchased. I had to convince myself to buy them at the time as the LEDs were not replaceable like bulbs and I feared they would fail! lol
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Fenix p1d. God I remember getting this in 2006? I think. At the time it was being held as being better then sliced bread! And it was. Someone on here did a comparison between that an a surefire 9p and the Fenix killed it.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

An even older version of this:

http://www.ledmuseum.net/asp.htm

The one I have is red and the coin cell batteries are sealed inside the light, when they go dead you could send it back to ASP and they would change the batteries (or replace the light?).....funny thing is I still have it somewhere and last time I checked it still works with the original batteries (obviously newer used it all that much in recent years after I replaced it with a photon on my keyring when the Photons first came out).

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    An even older version of this:

http://www.ledmuseum.net/asp.htm

I had a crack at one of the prototypes of the ASP back in the summer. Pre-production sample from Don Kellers personal collection. Yup, that guy was involved in ASP as well and was one of the first to believe in the virtue of the LED in its infancy.

The oldest LED light I own is this Arc LSH-P circa 2002 or '03.

I haven't had it that long though, I bought it second-hand. The LED light I've personally owned the longest is probably this one that came in the glovebox of my '08 BMW. These were made by LED Lenser in Germany. Its not a very good light, but I kept it anyway when I sold the car

My oldest LED flashlight is a red LED keychain light. I forget the manufacturer. Maybe it was Tekna. It has a cylindrical plastic body with a titanium sleeve. The keychain mount comes out the back center of the light. Twisting the keychain mount turns the light on. It's powered by 3 button-cell batteries. Light source is a single 10mm red LED. When turned on, the light produces a very dim red beam. Beam pattern is pretty ugly. It consists of a square surrounded by a circle with no spill.

The illumination is so weak its best use is illuminating a keyhole in a door, though the beam pattern is narrow enough to project maybe 15'. Not sure of the total output, but my guess is a few lumens.

I got this light in 1989 or 1990. Back then white LED lights didn't exist. Even this red LED light was unique. This light also predates all the tiny plastic keychain LED lights with 5mm LEDs.

I still have this light and it still works.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 11-25-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    My oldest LED flashlight is a red LED keychain light. I forget the manufacturer. Maybe it was Tekna. It has a cylindrical plastic body with a titanium sleeve. The keychain mount comes out the back center of the light. Twisting the keychain mount turns the light on. It's powered by 3 button-cell batteries. Light source is a single 10mm red LED. When turned on, the light produces a very dim red beam. Beam pattern is pretty ugly. It consists of a square surrounded by a circle with no spill.

The illumination is so weak its best use is illuminating a keyhole in a door, though the beam pattern is narrow enough to project maybe 15'. Not sure of the total output, but my guess is a few lumens.

I got this light in 1989 or 1990. Back then white LED lights didn't exist. Even this red LED light was unique. This light also predates all the tiny plastic keychain LED lights with 5mm LEDs.

I still have this light and it still works.

I believe you are right about the maker .That sounds spot on for the Tekna Night Eye.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-LED-keychain

That sounds about right. And I did get it at Eddie Bauer.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Good thread idea.

Not sure what years these are from:

L to R:
    A Brinkmann Long Life my father in law gave me for fixing his (brighter) 4C Maglite, a 65 lumen Pentagon L2 that has a suprisingly good beam, an early minimag LED, an early LED Lenser V2 triple (with a whopping 12 purple lumens), and a Pelican 2390 that also has a surprisingly good beam.

Not shown are the ARC aaa LE (nip), an nip 3 watt minimag, a 65 lumen SureFire G2L and an nip Coast/LED Lenser turbo torch with an amazing 50 lumen turbo.
    The bykfixer museum has set out to acquire a few early production, trend setting LED lights from the days when a light bulb was brighter, yet LED lights were starting to show up in stores.
    The LED Lenser V2 triple was my bedside table lamp for years. No idea where I got it, but when I arrived here it got retired in exchange for a Malkoff MD2 set on low then an Elzetta Alpha with a hi/lo switch that stayed on low. But I use the Pentagon and Pelican often.

Oh snap. I forgot about the Gen 1 Inovas... emmisive energy owned X1, X3 and X5... I have some early Nite Ize owned versions still nip as well. But my favorite is the 85 lumen X1. That's a goody.
    I have one of those Generation 2 Brinkman Longlife lights too, and an inova x3 someplace, and a Radiant (with a failed switch) somewhere as well that I totally forgot about until now.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

My old TK11Q5 was my first serious light, from about '07 - '08, a 2 x aa led Mag from about '06, i think, and a couple of LL's before that ( and all still going strong, albeit well outclassed now ).

My oldest LED light is also a fluorescent light! It's a combo flashlight from Eveready that I bought around the turn of the century. The LED is pretty weak, maybe about 2 lumens. Let me see if the photo shows up...

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the fluorescent tube output. The 3 position switch is forward for LED, middle for off, back for the tube.

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a later version of that light where the LED was brighter, the side light was a CFL. It was also a little straighter since you could stand it on its front and use it as a lantern. Nice light, I wish it hadn't ran away from home.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

a Fenix TK70, collecting dust for now
    Last edited by puglife; 11-26-2017 at 05:42 AM.

[IMG]

One of my first LED flashlights that still functions and was still in use till a few months ago is a Dorcy 4-led 2AA. I bought in 2005-6 when led lights just started becoming available. It probable pushes out all of 6-8 lumens but has been handy for its size and the fact that it always seemed to work. It has a momentary rear non-clicky that you keep pressed, or tighten the cap for continuous light. We have come a long way since then.
    Better to light one candle than curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I had a crack at one of the prototypes of the ASP back in the summer. Pre-production sample from Don Kellers personal collection. Yup, that guy was involved in ASP as well and was one of the first to believe in the virtue of the LED in its infancy.
    I should have guessed Mr. Keller had a hand in this! I don't know what the first LED flashlight was, but I think this was the first one that I saw and bought it on impulse. Not a bad keychain light in most ways for the time (nicer than a Photon I but bulkier) but I found the red colored LED to be of limited utility......it sucked for things like tracing colored wires and reading maps with red markings (newer military maps were redesigned to allow them to be used with red light). I had a amber colored Photon before white LEDs came out that seemed slightly better for color rendition and when white Photons finally came out I got a bunch of them.
    I can't remember exactly when I got the ASP, early to mid 90's maybe? I think it was before ASP came out with the blue colored LED (if I remember right all of the early LED lights were red, followed by blue and than others like green and finally the first “white” LEDs).

Maglite drop-ins circa 2006

Kel-Lite drop-in prototype
    As far as I know these never went into production.

The one shown is #13 of 14 circa 2003.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-26-2017 at 01:56 PM.

My first was an Elektrolumens Tri Star Phazer bought in 2004:
    http://elektrolumens.com/Tri_Star_Ph...ar-Phazer.html

216 lumens but I believe that was lumens at the emitters and not out the front. Still have it and it still works, but I think the tint has shifted a bit, noticed it already after a couple of years, it had a quite purple tint when I got, now it pretty tintless. You still can go to the store and buy LED lights that perform worse than this 13 years later!

But I had headlamps using LEDs before this, my first was Petzl Duobelt. The Duo design is from 1996 (originally with 2 halogen bulbs), I don't know when they introduced the LED modules, but it must have been before 2003. And guess what, Petzl is still making this light and still with those 5mm leds

Fenix PD30. Bought it about eleven years ago. I was just blown away by the amount of light (265 lumens) the light put out. Just took it outside, still has a decent throw for what it is.
    Last edited by LGT; 11-27-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast