NEXTORCH - Saint Torch 11        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

Default Re: Your Oldest LED Flashlight?

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    Well i found that my oldest white led flashlight (post 38) came out in 2005, So that`s like 12 years old.

John.
    Me too, 2005: But the Walmart light sported a 2 year old 2003, I believe, lux1 emitter, in a deep smo reflector, aaa pack cut off for 3 aa. And just to point out, because it wasn't a large die and had focus, yet covered eye cones with hot spot, was wearable, plenty of corona spill, 6 hour runtime at max drive...the design was a workhorse that I was unable to improve upon that much. I tried to build dual led head lamp in 2008 that used tool belt battery cords and a rebel 80 and an xrc (never could get more than one xre to focus right). But the design was too ungainly to use more than every now and then, providing a wire was not broken on next use.... Depot came out with a tir 3aa 80 lpw headlamp in 2008. But not a slam dunk over the early lux 1 brinkman. The xpg r3 26mm smo 4 aaa with true cc 90% efficient buck driver with over 8 hours of near 4k candela, fenix hp11, purchased in 2011, was first slam dunk over the lux 1. Think I bought 4, which I still use for workers, even though I built several 2 watt 2s18650 cc, infinitely dimming comfortable 280 to 374 lumen 5700 candela headlamps with minimum runtime of 8.5 hours, so men can't accidentally or purposely run out if battery and call it an early day. I don't know if I wore out the lux 1s,but compared with my newer 2 watt home builds, they look like pen lights. Yet, they were extremely bright and useful in their time, which I really did not expect at the time of the first purchase.

I know by 2008, mh headlamps, were popular with people that needed 400 to 600 lumens for short periods. Very relevant to this thread, yet technically not.

Now, nothing on Wikipedia about first white led date, production, or use. To sum up what I read in broadbrush:_1907ish basic principles of led discovered, 1927 first led made by a Russian, 1961 first practical ir led prototype (1962 patent filed, 1964 patent issued, ti) 1962 first practical optical led prototype, 1968 Monsanto was first to mass produce leds, by the 70s they were commonly used (number displays in calculators and slide rulers). Haitz law held. Then in 1994,the first bright blue led was invented, and shortly there after they discovered or employed the phosphor trick for the white led. No date, nor inventor listed. Probably, several companies claim to be the inventor. I know nichia has been credited other places.... So still a mystery as to when invented and when the first white led flashlight was made or sold. My guess is that it was at least 2 years prior to the 1998 bob crane flashlight :1995 or 1996.
    Last edited by degarb; 11-29-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

Shuji Nakamura's blue went into production in 1993. So, wiki got year wrong on the page. So, probably 1994,first white phosphor led(speculation, at this point) . . Nothing on first led flashlight.... But first led Christmas tree, 1998, and the end to warming your hands by the tree for kids everywhere.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

I was reading on BLF that OSRAM has discovered that running an emitter at low current can shorted it`s life faster than at high current, I always though the reverse.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/50142

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Toss up between CMG Infinity and Arc AA. I can't remember which came first between the models.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

They made one of these with Incan + CCFL. I had one of those. The CCFL was great at the time.

Flashaholic

Let's see if this works ...
    Last edited by ssanasisredna; 11-29-2017 at 09:12 PM.

My first lights were the L.R.I. Photon II, the CC Trek light, and the CC Expedition light. I think the Photon II was first. The CC lights were the brightest l.e.d. lights I could find at the time, but the "switch" involved a blade of metal pressing into the metal near the edge of the l.e.d. circuit board. This caused damage to the contact area over time and after awhile became unreliable. I think the CC lights came out as early as 1997 but I don't think I made my first purchases until around 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Me too, 2005: But the Walmart light sported a 2 year old 2003, I believe, lux1 emitter, in a deep smo reflector, aaa pack cut off for 3 aa. And just to point out, because it wasn't a large die and had focus, yet covered eye cones with hot spot, was wearable, plenty of corona spill, 6 hour runtime at max drive...the design was a workhorse that I was unable to improve upon that much. I tried to build dual led head lamp in 2008 that used tool belt battery cords and a rebel 80 and an xrc (never could get more than one xre to focus right). But the design was too ungainly to use more than every now and then, providing a wire was not broken on next use.... Depot came out with a tir 3aa 80 lpw headlamp in 2008. But not a slam dunk over the early lux 1 brinkman. The xpg r3 26mm smo 4 aaa with true cc 90% efficient buck driver with over 8 hours of near 4k candela, fenix hp11, purchased in 2011, was first slam dunk over the lux 1. Think I bought 4, which I still use for workers, even though I built several 2 watt 2s18650 cc, infinitely dimming comfortable 280 to 374 lumen 5700 candela headlamps with minimum runtime of 8.5 hours, so men can't accidentally or purposely run out if battery and call it an early day. I don't know if I wore out the lux 1s,but compared with my newer 2 watt home builds, they look like pen lights. Yet, they were extremely bright and useful in their time, which I really did not expect at the time of the first purchase.

I know by 2008, mh headlamps, were popular with people that needed 400 to 600 lumens for short periods. Very relevant to this thread, yet technically not.

Now, nothing on Wikipedia about first white led date, production, or use. To sum up what I read in broadbrush:_1907ish basic principles of led discovered, 1927 first led made by a Russian, 1961 first practical ir led prototype (1962 patent filed, 1964 patent issued, ti) 1962 first practical optical led prototype, 1968 Monsanto was first to mass produce leds, by the 70s they were commonly used (number displays in calculators and slide rulers). Haitz law held. Then in 1994,the first bright blue led was invented, and shortly there after they discovered or employed the phosphor trick for the white led. No date, nor inventor listed. Probably, several companies claim to be the inventor. I know nichia has been credited other places.... So still a mystery as to when invented and when the first white led flashlight was made or sold. My guess is that it was at least 2 years prior to the 1998 bob crane flashlight :1995 or 1996.
    From Tektite's site: "1998- First conventional style White LED flashlight, Trek® 2, patented"

and "1998- First White LED PR-base flashlight replacement bulb"

"1999- First Luxeon-based LED flashlight, Expedition® L"

http://www.tek-tite.com/about_us.php

Was Tektite the maker of the C. Crane LED light?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    From Tektite's site: "1998- First conventional style White LED flashlight, Trek® 2, patented"

I am calling bullshit on the 1999-First Luxeon based LED flashlight. Lumileds was not even formed till November 1999 and Luxeon-1 was introduced in 2001 https://www.lumileds.com/uploads/688/BR32-pdf?v2

Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    I am calling bullshit on the 1999-First Luxeon based LED flashlight. Lumileds was not even formed till November 1999 and Luxeon-1 was introduced in 2001 https://www.lumileds.com/uploads/688/BR32-pdf?v2
    It says that "First 0.5W high power LED" came out in 1998, maybe that was the LED they used?? (before the 1 Watt Luxeon I came out?).

World's first, or their first? Too vague to tell?

I do feel bad for not mentioning Holonyak and Losev, while mentioning the blue inventor.

Now, Monsanto was the first to mass produce leds. Which explains the futility I feel each time I plant a bare emitter.
    Last edited by degarb; 11-29-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Flashaholic*

My oldest now is a Dorcy AAA that puts out less than 5 lumens. It was my first edc led flashlight, I think I bought it in 203. The oldest one that is still in my family is a Browning 3c multi led that was a rebranded Lightwave IIRC. I know that I bought it in 2003.

We’ve come a long way...

Flashaholic

It says that "First 0.5W high power LED" came out in 1998, maybe that was the LED they used?? (before the 1 Watt Luxeon I came out?).
    The other products were not called Luxeon. The trademark for Luxeon was filed in August 1999 by Hewlett Packard. From the USPTO, "FIRST USE: 19990700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20010500"

Flashaholic

World's first, or their first? Too vague to tell?

I do feel bad for not mentioning Holonyak and Losev, while mentioning the blue inventor.

Now, Monsanto was the first to mass produce leds. Which explains the futility I feel each time I plant a bare emitter.
    VERY clearly THEIR first. It says so right at the top, and also says production firsts. It is simply wrong.

VERY clearly THEIR first. It says so right at the top, and also says production firsts. It is simply wrong.
    So, has anyone a memory of a pre 1998 white led flashlight?

You successfully posted pic of your first light. Somehow, I missed the year you bought the light, and estimate of its introduction.
    Last edited by degarb; 11-30-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Flashaholic

You successfully posted pic of your first light. Somehow, I missed the year you bought the light, and estimate of its introduction.
    A little mystery is good :-) .... and the original post just asked what is your oldest LED flashlight, not how old it was :-)

I did not buy it. It is not a production model.
    Last edited by ssanasisredna; 11-30-2017 at 10:18 AM.

A little mystery is good :-) .... and the original post just asked what is your oldest LED flashlight, not how old it was :-)

I did not buy it. It is not a production model.
    Trust me, I won't insult your youth. I am too old for that.

So, here is my phone notes after trying to focus some light on the History. My guess is that we need a Japanese member, native, to tell us about the gap between 1994 and the 1998 Trek 2 USA, first white led flashlight. Though I do wonder if some white led squeeze light didn't predate the Trek 2.

Easy to remember, Broad Brush LED milestones :

H. J. Round*(1907) - discover led principles. Marconi Labs

Oleg Losev*(1927) - 1st led. USSR
    James R. Biard*(1961) - 1st practical infrared led and patent. Texas Instruments

Nick Holonyak*(1962) - 1st practical optical led, pioneer in that gave us LEDs we can use.

Monsanto (1968) - 1st to mass produce LEDs.

Shuji Nakamura*of*Nichia Corporation*(1993) 1st high brightness Blue led. Got Nobel prize to chagrin of led founders.

No info yet, as to, year and individual, who was 1st to Phosphorize a low flux blue led. Probably, before 1993, since blue was invented in 1972, and available by 1989 by Cree.

1st high power led, maybe too vague of adjective. But, my guess Lumileds Luxeon, half then Lux 1, whose year is not in front of me. 99% Certain is 29lpw Lux 1 by 2003. Cannot find earlier year history. Lumileds "about us" page only states 2003 as first year they were "supporting" LEDs. This makes no sense to me, if you read bottom thread link from 2002.

First white flashlight to debut, not firmly established. Most likely in Japan! Need a Japanese member.

By 1998, Tektite Trek 2, sold by the C Crane Co. A hair over 6 lumen! WOOT WOOT! First white led flashlight sold in USA! https://datafox.com/c-crane-company-inc

The first Luxeon LED flashlight was the*Arc LS, designed in 2001(Wikipedia) What wattage and output?

(An aside, The concurrent debut of MH flashlights is unclear to me. Did they predate the first led flashlight? Mh history and more: http://edisontechcenter.org/metalhalide.html )

HP first yellow led flashlight. Unstated year. Looks like red and yellows in 70s and 80s. Probably squeeze colored led lights go pretty far back.

Awesome thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Led-flashlight

Yes. See post #54 in this thread.

Plastic diving flashlight powered by 3xAA and equipped with two 5mm white LEDs. I don't recall exactly when I purchased it, but I do know I got it while I was in undergrad, probably after my first year. So sometime between 1992-1995.

That was the very first white LED flashlight I'd seen anywhere (and I've been a flashaholic long before LED flashlights of any color came out). Prior to that I didn't even know white LEDs were possible.

I used to have an Eveready yellow led small keychain version of their yellow plastic incandescent 4AA Lantern - the keyring was produced in 1997. I do not recall chucking it away, so it's probably still around in an old box somewhere. Very amber output, but quite useful for its age.

Then I still have many ARC flashlights, AA (2003), AAA (oldest one is 2001) and the LS First Run (2001).

CMG infinities light up our Crib scene every Christmas, still going strong after all these years (Infinity 2000, Infinity Ultra 2002)

Anyone remember the ASP Sapphire? Very bright blue light, quite startling. I remember buying one for a friend's leaving do in the late nineties, can this be right? What year did they come out? 2000 or thereabouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Yes. See post #54 in this thread.

Plastic diving flashlight powered by 3xAA and equipped with two 5mm white LEDs. I don't recall exactly when I purchased it, but I do know I got it while I was in undergrad, probably after my first year. So sometime between 1992-1995.

That was the very first white LED flashlight I'd seen anywhere (and I've been a flashaholic long before LED flashlights of any color came out). Prior to that I didn't even know white LEDs were possible.
    I am guessing made and sold outside of the USA? WjV knows?

According to Wikipedia it could not be 1992. 93 is possible, according to one article.

Impressed with 93 or 94. Though I never got why anyone would be addicted to short runtime, non wearable lighting. Probably got 1 or 2 incan lights a year, tossed them in the trunk, never, ever worked when I needed them. I wish I had been an incanaholic: maybe I would have known about the lux 1 or hds sooner, like in 2000 or 2001. Really could have saved me money. . http://www.hdssystems.com/Products/L...LightAIOCV.php
    Last edited by degarb; 11-30-2017 at 01:26 PM.

I am guessing made and sold outside of the USA? WjV knows?

According to Wikipedia it could not be 1992. 93 is possible, according to one article.

Impressed with 93 or 94. Though I never got why anyone would be addicted to short runtime, non wearable lighting. Probably got 1 or 2 incan lights a year, tossed them in the trunk, never, ever worked when I needed them. I wish I had been an incanaholic: maybe I would have known about the lux 1 or hds sooner, like in 2000 or 2001. Really could have saved me money. . http://www.hdssystems.com/Products/L...LightAIOCV.php
    I bought that white LED light in the USA in La Jolla near San Diego, California.

Before LED lights came out the incan lights I was most impressed with were Underwater Kinetics dive lights. I had several 2xAA and 2xAAA ones, plus a 4xAA and 4xC. The 4C light was very compact (the batteries were in 2x2 formation), and very bright. I still have it and it still works. It's not bright compared to modern LEDs, but still actually manages to throw quite far with its 100 CRI yellowish light.

Those dive lights were all MUCH brighter and more compact than comparable incan maglites.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 11-30-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Flashaholic*

One of those tektite lights TrekPro) was my first LED light. Got them for a kayak "stern" light. Still have them and have been considering modding them to be brighter as they are incredibly waterproof. I think i got them around 2008.

Flashaholic

The first Luxeon LED flashlight was the*Arc LS, designed in 2001(Wikipedia) What wattage and output?
    ..... first commercial (productized and sold) Luxeon flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    I bought that white LED light in the USA in La Jolla near San Diego, California.

have it and it still works. It's not bright compared to modern LEDs, but still actually manages to throw quite far with its 100 CRI yellowish light.

Those dive lights were all MUCH brighter and more compact than comparable incan maglites.
    Yes, sell crap in the store, and wonder why people lose interest. Always sell the good stuff, alongside the crap, as a test case. But then, cpf would suffer.

The La Jolla dive light is the missing link. There seems to be a 1993 to 1998 gap in the archeological evidence for white led evolution. California is port from Asia, probably ethnically diverse. It would be interesting if a small run of these dive lights were intended for the USA and from where they came.

Looks like La Jolla is a great place to vacation. Tourist trap?
    Last edited by degarb; 11-30-2017 at 03:36 PM.

..... first commercial (productized and sold) Luxeon flashlight.
    What emitter was in your first fl that you posted pic?

Flashaholic

What emitter was in your first fl that you posted pic?
    White Luxeon. They did not call it the Luxeon 1 until the Luxeon 3 was being released.

Perhaps a LED history thread is in order?
    John 3:16

White Luxeon. They did not call it the Luxeon 1 until the Luxeon 3 was being released.
    Almost forgot about the lux3. Late in 2007, I bought a Dorcy headlamp from Sears with a lux 3 emitter, resistor driven much higher than 1 watt. The tint was much better than any of my sickly blueish Lottery tinted lux 1s. At the time, I felt this lux 3 had a warm reddish undertone. But the eye white balances, so in comparison to today's tints, might look blue.

I probably threw it away, once I got my Browning Nitro rebel 100 in the 1st quarter of 2008. I hated the shallow Dorcy reflector, which could not muster enough lux, long enough, to make the lux3 light of any use to me. I probably converted it to 3aa and added a 3 watt pot dial. But only remember using on one job. Most likely, I attempted to convert it to a Seoul for better efficiency in early 2008. Yet, I still was unhappy with the columnar lux. And recall only one job use for that mod.

Whar sealed it for me was going back to Sears in 2014, and they were selling, in store, pretty much the same led generation flashlights and headlamps as they stocked in 2008. I vowed to never again buy my lights locally. Since the vow, I have only bought one 3 aaa xpg headlamp from Walmart. Since it lacks ar glass, good aluminum reflector, and heatsink, it pales (at same current to the led) next to the 2011 Fenix hp11. Oh, and one 20mm cc xpg s4 flashlight, which would thermally shut down every 1h45 minutes, which was thankfully stolen by either a customer or faithful employee.
    Last edited by degarb; 12-01-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Perhaps a LED history thread is in order?
    We are probably just better off updating Wikipedia.

Somewhere in a bin in my house is a sample of what is essentially a Luxeon-1 white, old enough that the PCB it is on says Hewlett-Packard.

Of the ones I still have, the Photon Freedom Covert is still the most used and my currently oldest LED Flashlight.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast