Newcomer hoping for some tight beam advice please.

Grarea

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I hope you don't mind me pitching straight in with a request for information.

I am in the UK and wanted to buy a torch.
Well, now my head is completely spinning.

Last time I bought a torch, it had a BULB!!!!

I am amazed at the low cost of stuff and I am sure what I want is out there, but I am completely lost.
I gave up when I read somewhere that some LED's can't cope with standard rechargeable batteries.
Then I came across your site with intelligent (mostly :) ) chat about this minefield.

I don't think I am after miracles. But I don't have anything to compare anything to.
I started off wanting a headtorch that could do everything, but I think I am better getting a general use headtorch plus a specific hand held torch
for the purpose as described below.

The main thing that I am after is a tight beam.

I do some evening supermarket deliveries in less than urban environments.

1)My main requirement for a torch is for it to have a small tight beam so that I can see the house numbers and names from the van without it lighting the whole street.
Or even lighting the whole downstairs as I can imagine that being annoying when it isn't even your delivery.

2) I am after as cheap as possible really.
Some of the cheap focussing ones look like they might do the job. (Perhaps?)
(It would be nice if it had other uses as well)
Happy to look second hand as well.
I need something that works.

Other ideal worlds would be:
3) Charging. This I am open to advice.
As I say, it seems that some LED lights (I don't necessarily need LED by the way) don't allow regular rechargeable batteries.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
It will only be used for short bursts.
I will be in a van, so perhaps a USB might be good? But if the batteries are built in, would I have to throw it away when they become rubbish?
If not, I guess I would like to carry a spare AA or something to pop in. (rechargeable that is. I don't want to keep buying batteries)
I don't want to be carrying a charging unit.

4) Durability.
I WILL drop it.

5) Waterproof. This would be amazing. I WILL be in the rain. But I can always put it in a bag or something.

Hmmmmmm, when I put it like that, I want a lot don't I?

But, it is all about the tight beam. Everything else is in an ideal world.
(My headtorch search will be a walk in the park)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good post.

I arrived here after discovering LED's are brighter than light bulbs.

Now these days many of the lights are perfectly capable of running off rechargeables.

You say cheap. How cheap? What's your max budget? This info will help others who'll jump in shortly.

I'll say this and bow out.... eneloop rechargeables are the same voltage etc as alkalines so any double A or triple A light can run safely on them, and they give you better runtime thanks to modern technology.

arKmm

Enlightened
I'd keep it simple and get an LED Lenser P7.2 which will more than do the job you need. It runs off AAA cells so you can use disposables or buy some rechargeables if you want to save on money in the long run.

It can be focused to a very tight beam and can run on high or low power as appropriate to your needs. It also comes with a good pouch.

Available from Amazon for just under £40.

There are better but you don't need anything particularly costly and the P7.2 will be perfect for the role without breaking the bank.

For rechargeables, in the UK the best brand we seem to have is Vapex Tech who sell direct from their own website, and do a pack of 4xAAA 1100mAh rechargeables for £3.90

Last edited:

Latest posts