Insomnia?

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Does anyone else suffer from insomnia? i've been dealing with this for 17 years. I work out each mornng. Only have one caffeinated coffe to into morning.

I've used Ambien, Lunesta, Immaprin, self meditation, better bed, I currently taking a mix of clonazepan and Tizanadine. They work but I can tell their usefulness is wearing.

There seem to be some night hawks here. So, I thought you fellas might have any insight. My drain, no matter the time or my level of exhaustion just kickes in full force at nigh.

Thanks
John

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I am a long haul freight pilot. My sleep cycles are constantly jacked up from crossing multiple time zones.

I don't have an answer to your problem, but I simply sleep when I am tired no matter what time of the day that is. When I am home for a while, I generally fall back into a more normal rhythm.

On the road, my sleep seems to come in 3-4 hour blocks. Only when I am completely exhausted do I sleep 8 hour non-stop.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE) is what I use. Highly activates the parasympathetic nervous system (makes us feel calm and relaxed), which is what the brain needs to shut down. Good for a lot of other things as well. TRE is based on the simple concept that the nervous system has a natural innate way of recovering from stress if we don't suppress it. You're just stuck slightly in flight/fight/freeze, TRE brings the nervous system out of fight/flight/freeze.

Can be learned in one live class or a video from Amazon here or the author's website here https://traumaprevention.com/sleep-stress-relaxation/

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't do the sleep meds, for one it was related to a friends suicide (there was a distinct personality change when he was on it that led to his depression; he then shot himself), and two, the effects wear off as you've been seeing. If you're tired and can't go to sleep, don't. Don't force it, get up, take a walk (with a few flashlights of course), then try again. It's possible you're brain needs caffeine to fall asleep so maybe try a cup before bed instead of staying away from it. Same with alcohol. One drink makes me hyper, but 2 knocks me out. And it will help get rid of that cholesterol in your heart provided you're not diabetic, you don't over do it, and you don't have stomach issues like gerd. If you have insurance that covers it, you can try getting a diagnosis thru a sleep study. I found out I have sleep apnea when I started having issues. I started freaking my wife out with the breathing mask (think darth Vader), and had to wear a plastic & metal arm brace for a year think Terminator) around the same time, but at least I started sleeping better

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I struggle with "sleep inversion", generally triggered by breathing issues (not sleep Apnea, that's the one thing I don't have thankfully)
I had no idea how badly my allergies were messing me up at night until I started getting them treated

Then I had to start in with some very low key anti-anxiety meds because my breathing issues had "trained" me into this cycle of feeling like I was suffocating and my body would panic (panic attacks) even if my mind knew that everything was okay. Fortunately the meds and some therapy worked that issue out though I still don't like hot/humid "stuffy" rooms.

I've also found that if I don't start dimming the lights about an hour before I go to bed, and if I don't have a little "white noise" where I'm sleeping (I use a small battery fan when traveling) I have a far harder time getting to sleep.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, well, some more free advice....
- my doctor daughter uses a beside lamp that slowly brightens to wake her up - no alarm needed unless maybe she sleeps past some time limit. very bright on full power. I recall that she purchased it on Amazon.
- the most consistent OTC drug to put a person to sleep for my family and acquaintances has been the original or generic "Nyquil Nightime" medication. the "Nightime" medication is intended for a bad cold or flu, but the anti-histamine in it works wonders at a full dose. Unfortunately a full+ dosage may sometimes leave me groggy in the morning. so the trick is to adjust the dosage to achieve a sleep effect without excessive after-effects. This has been consistently effective as sleep aid for quite a few acquaintances as well. emphasis on 'aid' since it usually has a full dose of Acetaminophen which is metabolized in the hepatic system and therefore not especially good over the long term and certainly contraindicated for anyone with liver problems. Ergo, long term usage is discouraged.
- for a short term attempt, try some warm 'Tart Cherry Juice'. Available at Trader Joes and most larger grocery stores. heat the tart cherry juice in the microwave. it should be hot but still easily drinkable. That recommendation is also found on the Internet.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a long haul freight pilot. My sleep cycles are constantly jacked up from crossing multiple time zones.

I don't have an answer to your problem, but I simply sleep when I am tired no matter what time of the day that is. When I am home for a while, I generally fall back into a more normal rhythm.

On the road, my sleep seems to come in 3-4 hour blocks. Only when I am completely exhausted do I sleep 8 hour non-stop.

yup, 3 shift work for many years in the military has the same effect: days-swings-mids etc. will 'cure' anyone of thinking that they are supposed to sleep 8 hrs straight! as a result, I can usually sleep anytime, but I never sleep 8 hours straight. I might be good for 3 hrs straight of sleep.