5.11's not as well made as I thought

dougmccoy

Enlightened
5.11\'s not as well made as I thought

A couple of months back I bought a couple of pairs of 5.11 trousers and a couple of shirts mainly because I thought they were tough/durable and really long lasting. I've not had them long enough to comment about how long lasting they are but if my shirts are anything to go by they are not that tough. One of my shirts has had 5 buttons fall off already and that is only having worn it for at most four or five times. I am handy with a needle and thread and I know that occasionally buttons do work loose but my question is aren't 5.11's meant to be better made than this? I've a cheap work shirt that has lasted over 3 years and has never had a button work loose. That shirt was not designed or made to be any where near as tough as 5.11's but has already outshone them in toughness.

As I'm a Brit it isn't easy to return them for repairs or a refund but what I want to know is this just a poorly made shirt or are 5.11's over rated for durability?

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: 5.11\'s not as well made as I thought

Can't speak for the shirts yet as I just picked up my first on at SHOT in Vegas. But I've had their pants for a while now, and think they're great. I'd email a CS rep (find the addresses on the 5.11 homepage) and see what they have to say.

Size15's

Flashaholic

5.11 Customer Service took very good care of me when I had an issue. I was impressed. I certainly suggest you email them.

I really like my 5.11 "tactical pants". I only have one shirt though. Only worn it once. I hope to get more.

Al

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened

Button are a weak point on most garments. Machine sewn buttons are never very secure as the machine can't tie a knot. The flat seams should be fine. When I was doing technical theater the first thing our costume shop did with any "store bought" clothes was remove all the buttons and then sew them own properly.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

I've just got an email back from 5.11's CS dept who have advised me that they will endeavour to up QA standards as regards button attachment. As I read the email it appears that they receive their shirts from the manufacturer (third party?) and then QA them to make sure they are up to 5.11 standards. Whilst it may be a pain may I suggest that you all check how well your shirt buttons are attached when you first get them and if you find any problems advise 5.11.

At any rate at least it was nice to get a reply from CS at 5.11 to be honest about the issue.

Doug

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

BDU's are better made and cheaper. I had a pair of 511 pants and sent them back. They looked gay with the section of elastic waist.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

tkl,

I dont have any BDU's to compare my 5.11's with. As for the pants looking gay I cant comment as I'm not gay and so wouldn't know what to look for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think you have a point that the elastic section could be seen as slightly effeminate but as I always wear a belt with mine I'm not worried too much about that issue.

As an aside from this issue I have received another email reply from 5.11 CS who have shown me an email from their QC dept. which confirms my thoughts about the shirts being made by a contractor and then being checked against their own standards. It appears that they have had a problem in the past with regard to buttons but have not had any complaints since then. Maybe I had one of the shirts from that batch? At any rate I am pleased with their honesty and admission that a problem did exist. Not many companies would admit to that or to bother to let the customer know! Cudos to them for their honesty!

Doug

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doug, you don't have to be one to ID one. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a pair of Kahki BDU's that I couldn't wear out. I was rough on my clothes in my slightly younger days and these held up nicely.

For some reason the kahki color didn't scream "tactical" like the black or camo patterns do.