Search light for hunting: Maximum 6volts

vpsaline

Newly Enlightened
Regulations in my area allow for a maximum of 6 volts in a flashlight at night for hunting. I'm wondering where does this leave the multi-cell 18650 models out there like the Thrunite Mini 30?

61vVsr83%2BQL._SL1000_.jpg

Dumb question I'm sure but do the voltages of each cell add up or does their circuit total 4.2volts?

KBobAries

Enlightened
Depends if it's wired in series (16.8V and least amperage), parallel (4.2V and highest amperage capability), or a series/parallel combination (8.4V and amperage somewhere between the other 2). Even if it's parallel and under your 6V limit I wouldn't be inclined to try convincing a non-flashaholic game warden that a light with all those cells is legal.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you don't need to see more than 300-400 meters away, I would recommend the Nitecore P30. It is a single cell 186550, but can use two CR123 cells as well. Has a typical one cell 1" body, and the head with the larger reflector is 2". The reflector is deep enough that it has a nice center spot that really shows up well in the higher modes, yet is blends in well with the spill in the lower modes. Even using the higher modes, the spill is bright enough to be useful without overpowering the center spot. (You know what I mean. If the spill is too bright near you, your iris closes down to compensate, and will not be open far enough to be able to register things further away as well.} And while it has the typical Nitecore two button electronic switch on the side of the head, it also has a clicky tail cap, so that there is no problem with parasitic drain at all. Best of all, at this time of the year you should be able to find one for less than $50 USD. I love mine, and carry it in its included holster on my belt when EDCing it.

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
As long as you don't need to see more than 300-400 meters away, I would recommend the Nitecore P30. It is a single cell 186550, but can use two CR123 cells as well. Has a typical one cell 1" body, and the head with the larger reflector is 2". The reflector is deep enough that it has a nice center spot that really shows up well in the higher modes, yet is blends in well with the spill in the lower modes. Even using the higher modes, the spill is bright enough to be useful without overpowering the center spot. (You know what I mean. If the spill is too bright near you, your iris closes down to compensate, and will not be open far enough to be able to register things further away as well.} And while it has the typical Nitecore two button electronic switch on the side of the head, it also has a clicky tail cap, so that there is no problem with parasitic drain at all. Best of all, at this time of the year you should be able to find one for less than $50 USD. I love mine, and carry it in its included holster on my belt when EDCing it.

I'll second the Nitecore P30, it's a great light. For less money you could try the Convoy C8 but I really don't recommend it, I hate the Convoy UI.