Flashlight for Dad

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I was doing some work at my parents house and my 85 yr old Dad gets out a 20+ year old incandescent light to try to help. So for Christmas I am going to get him a decent light. I want to stay under $20.
I was think a C or D 2 cell led Maglite. I want something big enough for him to hold and larger batteries.
Any ideas?
Thanks

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite ML50L 2C is a great light with a nice size in my opinion. Newer mags you can drop down the output as well which is a cool feature. 490 lumens on high, 115 or so on med, and around 20 on low.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite ML25 LED - 2 or 3 C cell single mode twisty, very bright hot spot for lots of throw and a huge spill for up close. I would get him the 3 cell version if he will be running alkalines.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
WalMart has 2D Maglite LED's for about $20. Familiar look and feel but a lot brighter.

But do him a favor and buy some Rayovacs to store in it instead of the supplied Duracells because they leak often.

I like the newer ML's but the electronic switch will slowly deplete the batteries. The ML25 is basically a C sized minimag so that too would be a good choice unless he prefers a button or slider to turn on his light.

Basically, check out the flashlight section at your local WalMart as there's a few "old school" type lights with LED to choose from.