Elzetta Circuit Board Questions

STATES

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I'm hoping the community can help me with an obscure question: does anyone make/would be willing to make a new circuit board for an Elzetta light?

Background: I love Elzettas, they're my go to weaponlight/hard use light. The only thing I don't like is the strobe rate they program in, which is so fast that it causes a functional dimming of the light (it cycles on-off so quickly that the LED doesn't have time to reach full brightness). I called them and confirmed this to be true. What I'd like is a light that is identical in every respect except the strobe function, which would ideally be ~15 hertz (see below for further explanation). From talking with Elzetta that would require replacing the circuit board in the tailcap with one that's differently programmed. So does anyone do work like this (making/programming/installing a replacement board)?

As far as the ideal strobe rate/pattern, here's a wall of text on it :) From all the reading (mostly anecdotal and informal studies) and talking to docs (I just checked with a neurologist, for example) that I've done, it appears the optimal strobe frequency for causing disorientation is about 15-18 hertz. What I haven't been able to find any data on is what pattern is the best: is a consistent pattern best (a flash that lasts for 1/30th of a second, then off for the same duration, repeating)? Varying the flash duration (making some flashes longer by a number of milliseconds)? Varying the interval between flashes (so stacking some flashes closer together and spacing others apart, but keeping the total number of flashes to 15 per second)? Not knowing if a variable or fixed strobe pattern is best, I figure it's easiest to stick with fixed from a practical viewpoint, and that's why my goal is what it is. As an aside, if anyone has data on this, I would love to see it.

Thanks,
STATES

P.S. Also, Mods, I tried to put this in the right forum, sorry if I got that wrong.

Last edited: