ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Sevens announces closure

A&Q Moderator

Default Re: 4Sevens announces closure

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post

And for the Quark Lego Lovers......
    That Quark Tactical is normally setup like this.

For a light running 2XCR123 and being so UL it can still party in 2017.

IMHO the tactical UI was the high point of 4/7. Well some would say it was the Mini 1xCR123 which unless mistaken (long time ago so could be wrong) was the first production light to use the XP-G but I say it's the Tactical Quarks. So natural and easy to use. It's why I liked the Fenix TK20 and Malkoff MD2 however the Quark could be programmed. It was the best, for me anyways.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    End of an era, I really like 4sevens. Hope who ever takes over makes something out of what he gets
    Indeed! Where would I be without David's contributions? From Fenix and Nitecore early on to his own brand 4Sevens. Not to mention what he may have influenced at Olight. There is a PK Knight residing in my pocket right now as I discovered this thread! Best of luck to David in his future endeavors and thanks for all the lights!
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Flashaholic

My first premium light was a Fenix (L0D) "Christmas" edition then got a L2D before David started 4Sevens.

I loved the original batch of Quarks, and I went crazy buying clearance items during the "rebranding" sale. I must have picked up 7 models to LEGO together with different emitters, tints, interfaces, battery tubes, and the discovery of "moonlight" mode... (I have a few lights that I never used). I love my low voltage turbo head on a single AA body. I never got into the other lights that were sold. I did get a Preon 2 with a Nichia 219 from another site, but was I was always frustrated about not having 18650 tubes for the Quark line and a push back about neutral/warm tints not selling well. Each new model seemed to have some type of deal breaker for me or just too high a price. I lost interest in the brand since it seemed to be chasing another demographic.

My early years were focused around Davids efforts.. Friends just grow apart, and I wish David all the best.

The Four Sevens MMU-X3 was my first real flashlight. I still have it, the beam profile is still unsurpassed. It will always occupy a lofty position in the pantheon of true classic lights.

I am sure that David will find much happiness and success in all his future endeavors.

Many thank yous to a leading light!
    Acebeam two X65Vn, X45vn70.2. Eagletac MX25L4CvnT XP-L. Fenix TK75vnQ70. Manker MK34Vn XPL.
    Nitecore TM06Svn 4 x XHP50.2. Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L dd. P60vn Quad XP-L HD 2 cell host Cryos Cu head. Thrunite TN36UTvn, TN42vn.

In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate

I just ordered one more Quark...the smart is on sale for $19. I also ordered 2 more deep carry clips for my other quarks just in case...I’m going to miss them, always a solid light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    This doesn't surprise me really. Guesses on who is buying them out? Olight?
    The way he talks about "this guy" makes me think it could be someone else since I wouldn´t talk like that "I think you will all like the guy, he is pretty awsome, there couldn´t be anyone else who could take on the baton as good as this guy" about olight as a company. Maybe PK? But we´ll know in a few weeks.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric242; 12-02-2017 at 02:28 AM.
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

It was mentioned on Facebook. It's not olight. Otherwise no new information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Minescence View Post
    I feel as if we have had another death in the family. Hopefully David is just burnt out and is looking for something new.
    I hope you make some money on the sale of the business. Best of luck Mr David Chow.
    I would echo those sentiments. Some of my favorite flashlights have been 47's including one of the best edc lights, my Mini MK II copper.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Chauncey will be devastated....
    Why? He’s involved in insider trading! Why else was he stocking up all that titanium?!?! He’s just become a rich man, like selling the artists’ work after his demise
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Got a mini ML, is my only 47 light, is a cool light but after I bought it I was always reluctant to buy another one, bought an Olight S10r and a S1 mini raw cu, the 47 does not have the build quality am sorry to say, the olights are much more robust. Aluminium tube on the mini ml is really thin, anodising has chipped etc.
    i know there are a lot of 47 fans out there, looks like the new minis were very popular, dont think the smart light interface was a very good idea either, respect for trying to be innovators but Im not sure that flashlight buyers like the fact that this smart interface is really just an element (not really needed) that would likely just go wrong at some point. People seem to like lights with simple interfaces, efficient LED's, and mostly robustness.
    maybe 47s thought the smart lights were going to be the silver bullet for their business but alas was not.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Eric242 View Post
    The way he talks about "this guy" makes me think it could be someone else since I wouldn´t talk like that "I think you will all like the guy, he is pretty awsome, there couldn´t be anyone else who could take on the baton as good as this guy" about olight as a company. Maybe PK? But we´ll know in a few weeks.

Eric
    yes It might be reading way too much into his wording but “taking on the baton” almost reads “this guy will continue the fight against Olight” Usually you just pass the baton or take the baton

Anyway, it would seem olight is the most probable suitor but let’s hope there is a nice surprise in store.

I bought a Fenix P1 special edition way back when, and actually bought nothing since then. Foursevens actually had a run of flashlights that sold in our Canadian MEC (it’s like REI) stores and it was nice to see his lights in B&M stores.

Then when he was clearing out the special edition Ti, and Cu flashlights, I bought two Mini IIs.
    Last edited by warpdrive; 12-02-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Very doubtful PK is the "this guy".

PK owns a consulting company that designs lighting products for a large supplier, so it may be the owner of PK's client perhaps. But I have it on good authority that between his consultant business and PK Design Lab he has a lot on his plate already.

Now if it is his client there will likely be PK influence on future products from foursevens.
    John 3:16
    "He was so far in the middle of nowhere Google Earth couldn't find him" -PK

Flashaholic*

My first quality light was a neutral Quark AA. It's still my most used nightstand light.

--flatline

Very sorry to hear this news, although the writing was on the wall. A Quark was my first good flashlight and they have always been my favorites with an ideal-for-me combination of mode spacing, regulation, efficiency, voltage versatility, Lego-ability, and reliability - not to mention David/FourSevens being honest, stand-up folks with great CS. Bought dozens of lights trying to match/beat my Quarks for my unique needs, but have been mostly unsuccessful/disappointed, although the HDS comes close. After figuring out how to program them, the 1st gen Quark Clicks have become my favorite iteration of the line and I have programmed my HDS and QC to the same modes and very similar UIs - haven't bothered with trying anything new since then (past year or two?), just stocked up on old Quarks.

Thank you David for 'showing me the light' and best wishes on your new endeavors. Hope your successor can fill your large shoes and continue the FourSevens legacy.

I was a dealer for a time and a long time fan finding you through nutnfancy. All the best to David, he showed what can be done with heart and passion.

fortunate to pick up a couple of Preon P1s on sale for $12/ea a while back. At a good price of $20 now. Hoping the P2s go on sale as well.
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

I have an amazing collection of FourSeven's lights(I think if Chance & I had a face off it would be very close). I love their lights-in my humble opinion their Quark Tactical UI is one of the most versatile without needing to program it specifically. I recently picked up a few more CR2 Quarks as well(still crying I sold my Ti CR2). I also have the coveted 4 Seven's 18650 body tube as well. In addition to their excellent products, I believe David defined the standard for customer service. Most of my customer service calls were not related to any kind of failure, more often I was making changes and screwed something up(hey TJ, I fingerprinted the reflector on my S-12 Maelstrom, got another one? He would actually personally go look to find one if they were no longer carried).
    To David Chow and all the family at Four Sevens: I wish you the best of successes in whatever your new ventures are. May you find peace, success and joy in all you do. Thanks for brightening my night, both in actuality and metaphorically. You will be missed, but I know my lights will still be shining for decades to come...

Bought a few of there lights, always super great cust service. Will miss them, us there lights a lot.
    arc:LSH/aaa/aaap , SF:L2, Raw NS w/Tritiums,LW400,UV-x1,glotoob,hds,RiverRockAAwaiting for more...whats next?

Flashaholic

My own impression of the 4Sevens brand is that the build was a little too on the budget side. They're the only lights I've had outright fail during usage (three separate models) aside from a couple of Fenix E05s from 5-6 years ago.

I always scratched my head at the 4Sevens "rebranding" a few years ago where the prices went up 20%-30%, for what I understand was basically a new logo. I'm not sure if this was a move the brand upmarket, or avoid overlap with Olight, since I believe Olight was the OEM for the quark line.

Within a couple of years, it was clear the Quark line didn't receive much R&D attention, and fell behind offer brands.

If I remember correctly, around the time 4Sevens entered into a technology sharing agreement with Olight, David joined Olight's board of directors. Not sure if he is still there, but he seems very entrepreneurial so I don't think he'll have any issues in future endeavors.

And, I always received very good customer service from the people at 4Sevens (and before at Fenix Store) so I'm sure the new owner will be getting a good crew.

Hopefully, QC will be at the forefront of new leadership. At the time of purchases I really liked the tactical UI and features, but none of the lights endured light carry. Every one failed after several weeks.
    Customer service was superb, but I couldn't trust the brand.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TIP AND RING View Post
    Hopefully, QC will be at the forefront of new leadership. At the time of purchases I really liked the tactical UI and features, but none of the lights endured light carry. Every one failed after several weeks.
    An original Quark AA was in my pocket every day for several years and it never failed me, other than some flickering a couple years in that was resolved by cleaning the threads. However, I will admit that my Atom A0 Red was a lemon but that has been the exception of the 14 4Seven's lights I've owned.

I stopped buying their lights some time ago when they went another direction with their lights that I disagreed with. Too bad, I still have their Quark tactical AA warm white (2700k) on my computer desk.

Quote Originally Posted by insanefred View Post
    I stopped buying their lights some time ago when they went another direction with their lights that I disagreed with. Too bad, I still have their Quark tactical AA warm white (2700k) on my computer desk.
    I was pretty much in the same boat. Quarks were my favorite.
    Never really got into their newer stuff.
    Sad to see them go though.

Quote Originally Posted by TIP AND RING View Post
    Back when they called it the Preon P0, I had one made of stainless that worked well until one day it just stopped working. In retrospect I think it was the driver somehow unscrewing itself out of the head. One of my two CPF 15th anniversary Atom A0's made of titanium works perfectly, and the other one came out of the box with major problems. I sent it back to 47's for repair along with a very very detailed report of exactly what the problem was. They contacted me back saying they couldn't see anything wrong. My response was a very frustrated E-mail telling them to simply try to make the light switch back and forth between the two brightness settings. Half the time it just skips the next mode and goes right back to the brightness it was just on. And for some reason you need to unscrew the head until the O-ring is hanging out in order for the light to not go on when a little pressure is applied to the front of the light. After some back and forth they offered to replace the light. I said no. Send me back the one that you said you didn't see a problem with. Now I still have the light as my example of QC.

The fact that only one of my three Preon P0/Atom A0s still works makes me wonder if the third one is doomed to failure. When they work right, they are great little lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    This doesn't surprise me really. Guesses on who is buying them out? Olight?
    David confirmed it was not Olight surprisingly. Guessing the PK Designs guy who helped with the Paladine light?

Flashaholic*

I'm disappointed to see this thread. I realize that the flashlight industry is quite cutthroat with designs being imitated almost as soon as they are released and true innovation often pushed by the wayside for more output. I think David did a great job with being innovative and unique in a lot of his offerings and truly listening to the people of this forum and caring about what they thought.
    I'll admit I haven't bought as many of the lights since the original Quarks were discontinued but I still have at least 11 and I've given many more away as gifts. I've always had good service and have been impressed with the quality of the product. I wish David the best in his future endeavors and hope he does continue to hang around and offer some input to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    fortunate to pick up a couple of Preon P1s on sale for $12/ea a while back. At a good price of $20 now. Hoping the P2s go on sale as well.
    The P1 is for $12 and P2 for $15 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by insanefred View Post
    David once catered to CPF members almost building exactly what we asked for. One of the first with neutral and HCRI lights. Then he changed course. Said no more neutral and try to grab the tactical market. Ironically soon after he stopped producing neutral lights others started and so I switched. Loved my Quark ti though. They were spectacular.

Thanks for bringing in the Quark series lights. It has always been my favorite especially the Pro. Wishing you all the best David!

Flashaholic

Very sad to hear this. Fortunately I stocked up with a couple of the older quark tactical QTL from 47s on eBay not long ago. Great UI with two modes tighten or Untightened and both modes can be programmed to one of the eight modes.

just heads up, 47s is still selling some models on eBay for very reasonable prices.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast