RMSK, Inc.        
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 4Sevens announces closure

Flashaholic

Default Re: 4Sevens announces closure

I also have purchased multiple lights from David and team since 2007* and will miss the excellent customer service and cutting-edge technology readily available in Foursevens lights. I wish David and his team the best in their next adventures. Thank you for contributing to our flashaholism!

*Out of curiosity, I reviewed my Foursevens order history. My first order, on 11/26/07, was for a Fenix Digital P3D OLIVE Premium Q5 and Keep2Go Evergreen (4 CR123A battery holder). Although the P3D Q5 was my first high-quality LED torch (which I sold several years ago), I fondly remember receiving it and its "wow effect" that started my flashaholic adventure.

Hmmm, Foursevens order history would make for an interesting thread, which might include number of orders, items ordered, and possiblyeven scarily total money invested.
    The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. - Felix Adler

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shawn View Post
    Hmmm, Foursevens order history would make for an interesting thread, which might include number of orders, items ordered, and possiblyeven scarily total money invested.

I just placed another order and checked my order history. I've averaged about $140 per year since 2008 on Foursevens lights. I was pondering on the amount and realized that the figure is just a little more than what I spend on Netflix per year and overall I get as much or more enjoyment out of the lights than I do Netflix.
    As I've said before in this thread I'm sad to see this but after my last order I foresee myself using Foursevens products for years to come.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by WDR65 View Post
    I was pondering on the amount and realized that the figure is just a little more than what I spend on Netflix per year and overall I get as much or more enjoyment out of the lights than I do Netflix.
    I never thought about it that way before. I've been seriously underspending on lights!

I’ll be sad to see them go, I remember when the QuarkSmart came out, I thought it was the most innovative new feature. I guess it just never took off.

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

My Four Seven's Collection:
    https://imgur.com/a/NIybQ
    Does not include all my Four Seven's/Collaborative work, as some of my very favorites still have new in box backups & others are in bug out bags, cars, etc....
    Oh Yeah, does not include new lights still enroute....
    Thanks David, for all the great lights....

David posted this on Foursevens.com as I ponder the beauty of my new $18 Mini MKII Turbo:

Final Thoughts - December 15, 2017

As we are closing our store today many thoughts and feelings come up that I wish to express.
    Firstly, I want to thank you all for being a fan of FOURSEVENS these 10+ years. Without you, our loyal and adamant supporters, we wouldn't have been able to achieve all that we have. It has been a wonderful journey to take mere ideas on paper all the way through to production and into the your hands to enjoy. I am thankful for each of our customers and the interactions that we had - not only for the numerous gracious compliments but also all the critical feedback we received. It has been a never ending learning process and we have learned so much in these years.

Looking forward, I am excited to pass on the baton to someone I hold in high esteem and is more than qualified to take the brand further. I will most likely assist him in the coming months as he needs me to transition the brand into his vision. He will announce the details early 2018. Get ready for a reboot of the FOURSEVENS - I expect it to be better than ever.

David Chow
    Founder, FOURSEVENS

Can't check out on their website anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerealand View Post
    Can't check out on their website anymore.
    I know. I was holding on to but 4x mini mkII turbo yesterday but thought they would discount the SS version further. Tried to check out today and you can't anymore. Missed it

I was placing an order last night, and agonized too long about what should be in the cart... By the time I got around to checking out (after midnight) payment failed to complete

Probably for the best, I've already placed 3 orders in the past couple of months. I'm going to stop buying flashlights for the remainder of 2017

I figure someone will be selling those Mini Mark IIs in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
    I know. I was holding on to but 4x mini mkII turbo yesterday but thought they would discount the SS version further. Tried to check out today and you can't anymore. Missed it
    Yup, looks like they closed the shop for online sales on Friday, December 15th, ending online sales. I was also holding out for possibly lower prices. However, I am glad I got myself an Atom AL with the 360 headlamp kit for a stellar price a while back. It was before the announcement of closure under David so I just figured the Atom series were out of season or something. I originally just wanted the headband for my MLR2 but seeing that the Atom AL was only $7.50 more, I got the kit. It's a great light, much like my MLR2.

It's truly sad for flashlight enthusiasts to see Foursevens go, especially since no one else seemed to put so much effort and features into small EDC-sized flashlights.

But they are not closing down. They will just transfer ownership isn't it?
    And we just have to hope that the new owner is driven for innovation and quality as David was. I've never owned a Foursevens. I did order a mini mk2 titanium and a mini mk2 turbo (wish I ordered more) which arrived my country in Monday but I'm feeling the package got lost as it's been 5 days and still no update on tracking. Normally things get delivered next day after it arrives into the country.
    I hope it's not lost or I'll never get the lights.

Flashaholic*

Too bad, but I'm not at all surprised. My first "real" lights were Quarks, and I still use them occasionally.

However, 4seven's insistence to use only cool-white LEDs, had me moving on to other brands. Plus, their lawsuit loss to Surefire killed their good user interface design in the Quarks. It's been years since I bought anything from them.

Good lights, good company, but they were unable to keep up with the times.

Same for me,
    i love the four sevens quark pro 123-2 and havnt bought but 2 in the last 4-5 years and i had them modded to 4000k and 3000k leds. Them using cool whites i think really hurt there sales. I have went to eagtac last 3-4 years because of there use of nuetral whites. I was wanting to order some spare tailcaps but kept putting it off and now can't get them.
    =WalkIntoTheLight;5164543]Too bad, but I'm not at all surprised. My first "real" lights were Quarks, and I still use them occasionally.

However, 4seven's insistence to use only cool-white LEDs, had me moving on to other brands. Plus, their lawsuit loss to Surefire killed their good user interface design in the Quarks. It's been years since I bought anything from them.

Good lights, good company, but they were unable to keep up with the times.[/QUOTE]

Enlightened

I love FOURSEVENS!
    I have purchased over 2 dozen of their flashlights in the last year alone. Super deals and many for gifts. I have several with neutral LEDs and love the tints, 4 of which were bought in the last 7 months. I have purchased lights nearly every year from FOURSEVENS for the last 11 years. Well over 50. I love FOURSEVENS! (And I am not alone.)

Quote Originally Posted by ncvarmint2016 View Post
    Same for me, i love the four sevens quark pro 123-2 and havnt bought but 2 in the last 4-5 years and i had them modded to 4000k and 3000k leds. Them using cool whites i think really hurt there sales. I have went to eagtac last 3-4 years because of there use of nuetral whites. I was wanting to order some spare tailcaps but kept putting it off and now can't get them. =WalkIntoTheLight;5164543]Too bad, but I'm not at all surprised. My first "real" lights were Quarks, and I still use them occasionally. However, 4seven's insistence to use only cool-white LEDs, had me moving on to other brands. Plus, their lawsuit loss to Surefire killed their good user interface design in the Quarks. It's been years since I bought anything from them. Good lights, good company, but they were unable to keep up with the times.
    It's funny how myths like this get created and passed on when the company itself has said their neutrals didn't sell nearly as well.

Wow, judging by some above posts, i must have narrowly got in my order then. It was 7.55am 16th december my time. I ordered a mini turbo and checkout worked ok for me.
    My first foursevens light, better late then never.
    Torchaholic

Glad I went ahead and ordered the mini mk ii on Friday about 2pm eastern time. My turbo version needed the non turbo to compliment it. Still processing but maybe it will get shipped out this coming week

That might be true for foursevens but i know they would have made alot more sale had they used more 219's, cree warms and nuetrals. I wouldnt have bought the 6 eagtacs i have if 4sevens had made the tint's i wanted. It also cost me more $ since i had to send the cool whites off to get led swapped. But i wish them the best and hopefully the new owner will add some variety to his lights and hopefully he makes some more quark style lights

Quote Originally Posted by 18650 View Post
    It's funny how myths like this get created and passed on when the company itself has said their neutrals didn't sell nearly as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncvarmint2016 View Post
    That might be true for foursevens but i know they would have made alot more sale had they used more 219's, cree warms and nuetrals. I wouldnt have bought the 6 eagtacs i have if 4sevens had made the tint's i wanted. It also cost me more $ since i had to send the cool whites off to get led swapped. But i wish them the best and hopefully the new owner will add some variety to his lights and hopefully he makes some more quark style lights
    4Sevens made plenty of Neutral, Warm, HCRI, and Preon 219's runs for us folks, they were not popular with mainstream public, ~85% of their sales. David has even said this himself many times. He also has wanted to do more for us, but could not justify making ~500 light runs to sell only handful to us and sit on the rest for two or more years. Those are the hard financial facts. I too wish there were more made, but it simply was not a good economical business decision. The MKII's were available in NW, I have two .

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    4Sevens made plenty of Neutral, Warm, HCRI, and Preon 219's runs for us folks, they were not popular with mainstream public, ~85% of their sales. David has even said this himself many times. He also has wanted to do more for us, but could not justify making ~500 light runs to sell only handful to us and sit on the rest for two or more years. Those are the hard financial facts. I too wish there were more made, but it simply was not a good economical business decision. The MKII's were available in NW, I have two .
    Yep. What he said.

~ Cg

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I now sincerely regret not picking up any of the warm FS light when they were available. My relative newness to really bright lights at the time convinced me to pass on them. SMH...

Nice Chance
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 12-17-2017 at 11:13 PM.

post moved here
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 12-17-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Even at the deeply discounted price, the neutral white mark II took a while to sell.

A&Q Moderator

Here is my breakdown so far when comparing CW/NW/Warm to people who aren't really into flashlights. One third prefer the warmer tints, one third prefer the CW and the final third don't care and were humoring me by feigning attention. So I take David at his word. People see the highter output. They don't care if the human eye can't really distinguish 7%. They just know instinctively more is better. This at times will confuse and even anger some flashlight enthusiasts. No joking. I have seen people actually mad over this. To each their own.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    Here is my breakdown so far when comparing CW/NW/Warm to people who aren't really into flashlights. One third prefer the warmer tints, one third prefer the CW and the final third don't care and were humoring me by feigning attention. So I take David at his word. People see the highter output. They don't care if the human eye can't really distinguish 7%. They just know instinctively more is better. This at times will confuse and even anger some flashlight enthusiasts. No joking. I have seen people actually mad over this. To each their own.
    +1 This is true. This statement has even been echoed by Dealers who have a lot more input and interaction than the standard flashaholic People just look at oh this light has 800 lumens and that one only has 600 lumens, the one with 800 Must be better . When in fact it all boils down to preference and application. Everyone's eyes are different.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    The problem is that 4sevens marketed their lights for "regular" people, but priced them for flashaholics. Their lights aren't the brightest or most efficient to start with, so newbies can easily get brighter and cheaper elsewhere.

I have no doubt their neutrals didn't sell too well, because they never tried to sell them. They buried them on their website, and never tried to explain their benefits. Were they even sent to distributors, where most of their lights were sold?

I got the feeling they were trying to compete with companies like maglite. Yes, their lights were way better than mags, but they didn't have the distribution network that mag has developed.

Finally, they started designing really strange lights. Bolts for switches, blue-tooth lights, etc. Those just aren't marketable to the general public, and most flashaholics don't really go in for gimmicks like that either.

I think they got left behind, when flashlight companies started designing really nice lights that we've got over the past year or two. Chinese companies used to only build junk lights, but now they've got some very good designs that are also quite inexpensive.

You've got to either build good, or cheap. Or, get some celebrity to endorse your product if it doesn't sell itself. Maybe they should have got a Kardashian to promote it.

Flashaholic

I was searching for a new light and remembered 47s and the Quarks. When I went to the web site, I was saddened to see that they had closed shop. I remember when he first started..near 10 years ago I guess.

As long as we're reminiscing....

When the Titanium Quark came out in 2009, it was a *huge*, huge leap forward in flashlight technology.

To this day, it is one of the most perfect total packages that has ever been crafted. It had everything--performance, UI, robustness, and looks. Esp. looks!

Sure, it has been overtaken in output. And personally, I no longer like titanium for high-performance lights, because the heat-sinking is sub-par.

But that was the best light in the world for several years--and several years in this business is a long, long time.

David, I want to thank you for several dozen great lights that I bought, used, gifted, lego'ed, modded, and still love.

I hope you know how grateful I am, and I'm pretty sure you do, because I transferred well over a thousand dollars of gratitude from my bank to yours.

It was worth it. 4Sevens set new standards for excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeDépêche View Post
    As long as we're reminiscing....

When the Titanium Quark came out in 2009, it was a *huge*, huge leap forward in flashlight technology.

To this day, it is one of the most perfect total packages that has ever been crafted. It had everything--performance, UI, robustness, and looks. Esp. looks!

Sure, it has been overtaken in output. And personally, I no longer like titanium for high-performance lights, because the heat-sinking is sub-par.

But that was the best light in the world for several years--and several years in this business is a long, long time.

David, I want to thank you for several dozen great lights that I bought, used, gifted, lego'ed, modded, and still love.

I hope you know how grateful I am, and I'm pretty sure you do, because I transferred well over a thousand dollars of gratitude from my bank to yours.

It was worth it. 4Sevens set new standards for excellence.
    Great Post lampeDepeche!

I'd like to thank David as well. I had a blast buying his lights, visiting his store, reading & writing reviews on his lights on CPF over the years. It's sad to see you go David!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast