Xstar VC2 Plus - when does it use 1A charging mode instead of .5A ?

Sum~Guy

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this Lithium Ion battery and flashlight stuff, so I don't know if this is a dumb question or not...

I bought some Sanyo 3500 ma / 10A batteries recently and an Xstar VC2 Plus charger, and also took apart an old Lenovo 6-cell battey pack that hasn't seen any use for 2 or 3 years and was thought to be dead or have low capacity. I put a couple of the new Sanyo's in the VC2+ and they were showing initial charge of 10% and are taking several hours (6?) to charge. The Lenovo batteries showed an intial charge of zero and seem to be charging faster (but getting warm, borderline hot at the 95% mark). I both cases, the VC2+ is using only 0.5 A charging mode. I'm using a power supply spec'd at over 3 amps.

I was expecting the VC2+ to be using the 1A mode on these batteries, at least initially - was this a wrong expectation? If so, under what conditions would it use the 1A charging mode?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I'm new to this Lithium Ion battery and flashlight stuff, so I don't know if this is a dumb question or not...

I bought some Sanyo 3500 ma / 10A batteries recently and an Xstar VC2 Plus charger, and also took apart an old Lenovo 6-cell battey pack that hasn't seen any use for 2 or 3 years and was thought to be dead or have low capacity. I put a couple of the new Sanyo's in the VC2+ and they were showing initial charge of 10% and are taking several hours (6?) to charge. The Lenovo batteries showed an intial charge of zero and seem to be charging faster (but getting warm, borderline hot at the 95% mark). I both cases, the VC2+ is using only 0.5 A charging mode. I'm using a power supply spec'd at over 3 amps.

I was expecting the VC2+ to be using the 1A mode on these batteries, at least initially - was this a wrong expectation? If so, under what conditions would it use the 1A charging mode?

Next time I charge two 18650 will run it on my USB detector and see. Somehow I remember a similar performance as you're describing but will test it. On a side note it's the only two slot charger I have tested which has an efficient USB output/powerbank feature. Works very reliable for solar in terms of charge errors however defaults often to a lower amp charge when using my panel.

mikem65d

Newly Enlightened
I have this charger.
when you start it up you have to push the button just below the LCD screen to select the charge rate you want to use.
It defaults to 0.5A.
It won't jump to 1.0A on it's own.
You can even change it while it is already charging the batteries too which i was happy about so as not to have to stop a charge to change it.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I have this charger.
when you start it up you have to push the button just below the LCD screen to select the charge rate you want to use.
It defaults to 0.5A.
It won't jump to 1.0A on it's own.
You can even change it while it is already charging the batteries too which i was happy about so as not to have to stop a charge to change it.

I too have this charger. I want to add that the 1 amp mode is only available under certain conditions. There must be enough power at the input and you must not be using the usb output. In addition, the charger will only provde 100 ma for the first 10 minutes.