Advice sought re red/amber parallel triple...

samsavvas

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Is there anyone with their finger on the LED pulse who can tell me who sells either a red or an amber triple board (32mm) with the LEDs in parallel. I'm hoping there will be a Noctigon board with such an arrangement but anything will do!

Thanks,

Sam.

Keitho

Enlightened
MTN electronics product code NOCT-XP32 seems to fit the bill, and they will reflow your choice of LED in any config you need. I've used this service before and was very happy with the price, speed, and quality.

I assume you're building a bicycle taillight--hope you post some build details and pics!

angerdan

Enlightened
I assume the same, but usually opening post in a thread gives a short introductiona about the TO, ideas and goals.

So i have to ask, why LEDs in parallel? Which voltage does your power source have? Why 3 LEDs?
Why amber or red? Why 32mm? Where did you already search?

The criterias are so unique and special, i don't believe there will be much.
Only option would be:
https://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Pow...-SSL-80-red-on-round-PCB-LT-3115_206_209.html

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

Is there anyone with their finger on the LED pulse who can tell me who sells either a red or an amber triple board (32mm) with the LEDs in parallel. I'm hoping there will be a Noctigon board with such an arrangement but anything will do!

Thanks,

Sam.

hi Sam... long time, no hear!

I don't know anything about triple boards for red or yellow LEDs... can you get these LEDs in the same package that is used by the white LEDs that the triple boards are usually designed for?

I'm going to assume that this is for a tail light or a "be seen" light up front, but I'm curious about the use. Care to share your plans??

samsavvas

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

After asking my 'triple board' I never replied to your queries did I - how rude/negligent etc of me! Actually I think life just got in the way - so please forgive me.

Yes - assumptions are correct, as a winter project I was considering having another go at building tail/running lights. A frame-builder friend has milled me some simple housings from aluminium rectangular box section extrusion (he's just cut some 32mm holes in the wider face) and I was thinking:
- one dynamo tail light housing using a triple board with ref XR-E or XP-E lets in series
- a set of bullet-proof battery-powered running lights (amber front and red rear) using triple boards with the LEDs in parallel.

My reasoning with the former and its series config was simply that this would make best use of the available dynamo current and the dynamo's characteristics as a current-limited source.

The latter would each be driven by separate 1400ma Mobydrv linear boards (about 470ma each). The batteries would be 3.7V twin 18650s I have (the Mobydrvs are limited to a max of 5.5 volts I think).

Thanks for the suggestion of Mountain Electronics. I have emailed them and await a reply. Apparently their triple Noctigons are out of stock at present. Actually I may have used them before as I seem to have an account there and have vague memories of previous correspondence with them. I did build a 2 x triple (6 LED) dynamo headlight a few years ago - perhaps using the Noctigons - I'd have to take it apart to check. I never used it much as I found I couldn't cycle fast enough to get the blxxxy thing to light up adequately. I probably configured the LEDs in parallel - sort of dense thing I'd do!

Regards and again, apologies for the tardy response!

Sam.

samsavvas

Newly Enlightened
OK - update just in case someone else might also be pursuing strange over-winter tail-light adventures. Hank from Int-Outdoor has come to my rescue. They have the Noctigon 32mm triples in stock which they usually sell with white LEDs on board. He is perfectly happy to supply with red XP-Es instead which suits my purposes. I'm going with 32mm boards because 'bigger is better' ;-)
Sam.