Fenix TK35UE 2018 Global Review Campain, a 3200 Lumens XHP-70 Flashlight

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
submitted for inclusion to the Reviews forum.
This is the new version of the Fenix TK35, the Ultimate Edition 2018 with a Cree XHP-70 LED.

web-IGP4527.jpg

In full disclosure the flashlight was provided by Fenix itself as part of the Tk35 Global Review Campaign.

web-IGP4531.jpg

The new model replaces the 2015 XHP-50 version, and while quite similar on the outside, it is very different on the way it operates.

Its Dimensions are:
Length: 6.5 inches (164.5mm)
Head Diameter: 1.9 inches (48mm)
Body Diameter: 1.7 inches (43mm)
Weight: 10.1 oz. (286 grams)

You can compare it to the 2015 version here

Modes/Performance Specs

TK35Specs.png

The flashlight follows the distinct TK35 form of a flat tube containing 2 batteries side by side.

web-IGP4625.jpg

web-IGP4632B.jpg

But where the flashlight changes is in the buttons that are used for the user interface.
Gone is the 2 button combination, now we have a more advanced main On/Off Switch and a Multi-Function Toggle/Switch.

web-IGP4546.jpg

For comparison here is what the TK35UE 2015 switch looked like: https://img.aspr.gr/images/2017/12/01/TK35UE2015.jpg

The flashlight uses a Carrier for the Batteries.

web-IGP4646.jpg

And you can catch a glimpse of the long Fenix 18650 batteries with the protection circuit on the front.

The carrier also is set for USB Charging.

web-IGP4650.jpg

web-IGP4688.jpg

web-IGP4694.jpg

And while the carrier will easily fit the Fenix 18650s, graciously supplied with the firm,
there is too much room for any unprotected 18650 cells!

Here is a Samsung -25R with the homemade extender, close to 3mm long.

web-IGP4641.jpg

The battery carrier accepts the switches output/signal via mechanical transfer.

web-IGP4566.jpg

web-IGP4669.jpg

web-IGP4660.jpg

Obviously the carrier houses part of the flashlight electronics, as shown by the 4 brass lines that are on each side of the carrier. But this is as far as i can reverse engineer it!

web-IGP4701.jpg

And this is how the carrier makes contact with the flashlight head.
Partially unscrewing the body does not affect flashlight operation.

web-IGP4635.jpg

web-IGP4582.jpg

Battery Carrier Disassembled

pending....

Method of Operation

The Tk35UE 2018 uses a new user interface.
A Forward Click Switch for On & Off and a Multifunction Toggle.
With the last, the user with can choose the following major mode Groups.
Tactical, Outdoor and Lockout

web-IGP4536.jpg

On the center of the toggle there is also another press-only switch that is used for mode changing within each Group.

On Tactical you get Turbo 1 with the forward click switch.
The modes switch will give you only Constant Strobe by pressing it for more than 3 seconds.
From Strobe you can also get SOS by tapping the mode switch.

On Outdoor you get Turbo 2, High, Medium, Low and Eco (moonlight) by taping the modes switch.
Keeping it pressed for more than 3 seconds will get you Strobe and SOS again.

Strobe has two successive frequencies and is also instantly available when the flashlight is Off, regardless of mode group. You will have to keep the mode button pressed as long as you use Strobe in this case.
Which makes sense for rapid employment in a "Tactical" or precarious situation.

There is also Mode Memory for each Group.
That makes it easy to choose a specific mode in the Outdoor group, and jump back and forth between this and the Tactical Turbo 1 mode by just turning the toggle.

The flashlight also offers the user a Battery Level Indication.
When full a Green light will shine on the mode switch for 3 seconds. And will flash Red intermittently when the battery gets low. At that point the flashlight will start sepping down modes.

Obviously the indication light comes from 2 LEDs on the carrier itself.

web-IGP4698.jpg

Measuring Performance

My measurements confirmed the published Fenix specs.

I measured 3630, 2180, 1070, 380, 115 and 12 lumens and I also validated the temperature control.
Lux output at 1meter is:
  • Moonlight - 125 lux
  • Low - 957 lux
  • Med - 3141 lux
  • High - 8632 lux
  • Turbo 1 - 16453 lux
  • Turbo 2 - 25750 lux

This is the runtime plot supplied on the back of the box.

web-TK35-BoxScan.jpg

And here are my graphs for Turbo1, Turbo 2 and High Modes.

TK35High.png

TK35Turbo1.png

TK35Turbo2.png

I got to say that i am impressed by the way the flashlight handles the output/temperatur combination.

Indoor Beamshots

A note on my method.
I have found that it is better to auto-expose each shot to remove the variance in output between different flashlights. This way beam shape is better demonstrated.
Furthermore, the -1stop underexposure is more indicative of beam shape too.'

Indoor-Combo-Intermediate-3.jpg

Indoor-Combo-Intermediate-1.jpg

Indoor-Combo-Intermediate-2.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots

A cousin graciously accompanied me to his farm in a biting cold evening.

I took comparison shots with some very different flashlights. A Convoy L6 modified with a MT-G2 LED (large reflector), a Solarforce PRO-1 with a dedomed XM-L and the budget DRY triple XM-L flashlight.
The target was set at 50 yards away

Outdoor-Combo-0.jpg

And then I stopped down the camera 1stop to better demonstrate the beams

Outdoor-Combo-1.jpg

The Tk35 XHP70 beam is immense and WIDE.
It is to be expected, anyway, since reflectors in the 40mm region are barely adequate for the XM-Ls to achieve some throw, let alone the XHP-70 monster.
So the light is all flood. If you are charmed by the lumens count and expect throw and long distances, you should see elsewhere.

On use

web-IGP4600.jpg

The flashlight sits well in the hand and is quite grippy.
With the head pointing down wards the user's thumb comes naturally on the Momentary Switch, and by drawing the index finger a bit back, the user can operate the toggle and mode switch

As expected it is a bit front heavy, but not close to break the deal.
While the 2-In-Parallel flashlights gain merit for compactness AND easy switch access., they lack the sweet balance of their 2-In-Series counterparts.

Regarding fit and finish, all I will have to say that the TK35 is trully an aircraft-grade manufactured piece of gear. Despite the many straight lines and planes, there are no rough cuts or surfaces I can find.

Final Impressions

Well the light has a major characteristic that it can be its major advantage or disadvantage depending on who is looking at and from what perspective.
It is All Flood. And while this is may not be a trend, it is what one needs to light up a medium to large certain area.
And if you do not like the flood, Fenix will probably (my assumption) will be having a more throwy versions like it did with the 2015 models.
Putting that aside, the Tk35 is Fenix Quality and thoughtfully designed. It is quite easy to operate and the two groups, Outdoor and Tactical, offer adaptability to the user.
I will have to repeat that I particularly liked the ability to jumb between modes in Tactical and Outdoor by flicking the toggle switch. Most other user interfaces -excluding the Fenix original two position head- require you to pass through the rest of the modes.

Last edited: