Help on christmas gifts?

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good edc for a 6 year old girl who really wants a flashlight. Something simplistic led with micro usb type b rechargeable and good run time/hrs perferably as she has no concept of such things. And a similar yet smaller version for her younger sister (4 yrs) who will want one just to be like big sis.....help? Want to get them something worth having they can keep for awhile as they are foster kids and don't have much to attach to

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple rechargeable? Nitecore Tube.

Other simple light might be the Fenix E01, which runs on inexpensive AAA or AAA rechargeable cells.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I second the Tube (Transparent preferably, but check out the color selection) but the Transparent on a hot Pink lanyard for each girl. Trust me, the women I give it to LOVE the pink effect.

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
The Tube would be a good choice for these youngsters. Children tend to leave things turned on, and the USB rechargeable nature of the Tube addresses that problem very nicely. The only possible sticking point is that she might have her heart set on something that "looks like a flashlight" (i.e., a cylindrical object with a bulb on one end).

As stocking stuffers for my daughters-in-law I ordered a couple of Tubes in the translucent pink color. Or is it magenta? (Hey, I'm just a simple old guy, it's all I can do to keep the primary colors straight... :thinking: )

I don't know whether a child that age could do with a twisty like the E01 -- it's been a long time since we had kids that age around the house. As an alternative the Lumintop Tool is a nice inexpensive little light with a button switch.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I have never handled one, I am told the Lumintop Worm is a nice light as well, and might be more attractive to young females. The Nitecore TIP (2017 [Do it in Nichia - gettem started right] might be good for the older daughter, especially with the new bright colors. Then the younger daughter gets the Tube, so she has a light herself, but sees a progression to work towards.

Otherwise, there is always the Singfire348 at BangGood. Only a couple bucks, but not a bad light. There aren't any BLF348s left, but they are making noises about another batch, but it would probably be another six months or so away.

Kafka45

Newly Enlightened
I second the Tube (Transparent preferably, but check out the color selection) but the Transparent on a hot Pink lanyard for each girl. Trust me, the women I give it to LOVE the pink effect.

I went to Amazon and looked at the Tubes... ALL the colors were 9.90 or so except for Magenta.. 11.70. So they know which color is the most popular and naturally up the darn price by about 20%. ah well.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a larger light rather than these very small light recommendations for that age. A hardware store selection might be best. My 3 year old loves his 3xAAA eveready 9 led light. Good size for him and output.

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the nitcore tip and tube idea though i wish they where simple on off without all the modes as that would probably confuse them for some time.
The singefire348 is a beautifull light and along the lines of what i was thinking for the older girl, however it lacks the usb rechargeable feature. On further note nitecore has really stepped up theIr game since i last looked at them i could go broke on their site. Thanks again and i'll mull this over for a few days then let ya'll know if i nailed It after christmas... Cheers

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out fourseven clearance on their website. 2xaaa pen light for $15 shipped.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't underestimate their ability to understand a complex UI. My son understood most of my light operations by the time he was 5 or so.
i would recommend a larger light that is not as easily misplaced.

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
Just want to say thanks to all and what i ended up doing was a nitecore tip cri for the older girl and a nitecore tube for the 4 year old. They loved it and figured out the functions on there own. To my own sufferring as i had the tip set up to come on at the middle setting out of the box. I quickly found it on high, set it back to middle and whatched her turn it back to high luckly she hasn't found turbo yet. Gonna have to teach them responsible and proper use now but that's a good thing!

Latest posts