EAGTAC        
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cree has released XD16

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* Lurveleven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    1,236

    Default Cree has released XD16

    http://www.cree.com/news-events/news...me-density-led
    http://www.cree.com/led-components/p...ete/xlamp-xd16

    I guess it will not be long before we will see small lights with very good throw compared to what have been previously available. It will be interesting to see how many lux one can get out of an AAA keychain light using this LED. And what will the future bring on the new NX technology platform, will we soon see something like a XD20 (2mm x 2mm) with higher output? Interesting times ahead.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Very cool! Thanks for sharing, I'm hoping for some triples with a little more throw.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Valley Forge, Pa.
    Posts
    5,948

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Thanks! I was wondering when CREE would come out with an LED[S] to compete with the Luminus High output LED'S. Maybe this is it?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Interesting how it will stack against Oslon.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com




  5. #5
    Flashaholic* neutralwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,438

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    same here.

    Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing, I'm hoping for some triples with a little more throw.
    HDS Tactical Rotary, HDS Rotary, HDS HCRI 200 Rotary, HDS Hunter Red Rotary, HDS Forensic Blue Rotary, HDS Green Rotary.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurveleven View Post
    http://www.cree.com/news-events/news...me-density-led
    http://www.cree.com/led-components/p...ete/xlamp-xd16

    I guess it will not be long before we will see small lights with very good throw compared to what have been previously available. It will be interesting to see how many lux one can get out of an AAA keychain light using this LED. And what will the future bring on the new NX technology platform, will we soon see something like a XD20 (2mm x 2mm) with higher output? Interesting times ahead.
    This improves the lumen density of roll your own arrays, but the lumen density at the emitter area is not much of an improvement over something like the XPL-HI, or XQE-HI. The wider emission angle should provide improved reflector utilization.

    For an AAA keychain light, this may maximize throw, but it will be at the cost of a more floody beam (and power draw) compared to say the XQE-HI which has a smaller die size that would allow a tighter overall beam, but technically lower intensity at the hot-spot ...all while drawing less power.
    Last edited by ssanasisredna; 12-07-2017 at 05:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* degarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    1,967

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Ssana, don't make me re-read everything and use my brain. Cree is saying 5.5 times density, but you say not. So, I am assuming cree assumes same current for density, while you allude to higher allowed current?


    Sorry, I read press release and spec sheet yesterday morning, and my morning time allowance for non essential research is up today.
    Last edited by degarb; 12-09-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Some people are all lumens and no lux, while others are all lux and no lumens. Some just thank God they have neither.-- All of my lights have throw--some pretty darn far, into the garbage.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Ssana, don't make me re-read everything and use my brain. Cree is saying 5.5 times density, but you say not. So, I am assuming cree assunes same current for density, while you allude to higher allowed current?


    Sorry, I read press release and spec sheet yesterday morning, and my morning time allowance for non essential research is up today.

    ROFL

  9. #9
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    Ssana, don't make me re-read everything and use my brain. Cree is saying 5.5 times density, but you say not. So, I am assuming cree assunes same current for density, while you allude to higher allowed current?


    Sorry, I read press release and spec sheet yesterday morning, and my morning time allowance for non essential research is up today.
    It is a die scale package, meaning the package is not any large than the die. That does not make the die itself have any higher surface brightness. If you are building a light with only one LED, which is the majority of flashlights, then there is a small improvement beyond their current -HI products, and if you are looking at a size limited product such as a AAA light, taking a small efficiency hit, but keeping the light your produce in a small area may be best.

    The XD16 is for roll-your-own arrays. Where it applies for flashlights is what we can call lumen monsters .. single reflector high lumen output (as in many thousands).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Doesn't look like it will out-throw the Black Flat. However, looks to be a higher lumen XPG2 sized die. Probably halfway between XPG2 (dedomed) and Black Flat in throw.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Interesting. Such potential for uber small applications.

    If only batteries could keep up.
    John 3:16

  12. #12
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Doesn't look like it will out-throw the Black Flat. However, looks to be a higher lumen XPG2 sized die. Probably halfway between XPG2 (dedomed) and Black Flat in throw.
    I thought the OSTAR Projection Compact was their current state of the art, but don't really keep up on it. Either is capable of much higher surface brightness than the Cree.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic Enderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    Quote Originally Posted by ssanasisredna View Post
    I thought the OSTAR Projection Compact was their current state of the art, but don't really keep up on it. Either is capable of much higher surface brightness than the Cree.
    That's what was originally though, however a test of the Q8WP showed it was not great, still worse than a black flat:
    http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/th...uw-q8wp.58187/

    There is another LED, the Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG which does have higher intensity than the black flat, however a much smaller die and far less lumen output, only 200lm max.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Cree has released XD16

    I checked the suppliers listed on the Cree site, and only arrow.com actually has the XD16 listed, and there is no Buy Now option. There is only an option to get a quote for a minimum purchase of 3,000 at $1.08 each.

  15. #15

    Default Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG

    Do you know where I could get the Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG?

  16. #16
    Flashaholic Enderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGill View Post
    Do you know where I could get the Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG?
    Mouser has them.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG

    Quote Originally Posted by Enderman View Post
    Mouser has them.
    THANKS!

  18. #18
    Flashaholic Enderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    296

    Default Re: Osram Synios KW DMLN31.SG

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGill View Post
    THANKS!
    You're welcome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •