Fitorch        

Thread: I'm looking for a compact, waterproof, economic, rechargeable headlamp

Default I'm looking for a compact, waterproof, economic, rechargeable headlamp

Hi, everyone! As the title implies, I'm looking for a small, compact, economic, waterproof and rechargeable headlamp.

The features I value are the following:

-Preferably no back battery pack.

-‎Compact and light weight, though not to fussy on that.

-‎A beam as well as a flood mode, looking for something with versatility.

-‎Waterproof, that is, not water resistant, but waterproof, IPX7 and up.

-‎Hopefully versatility with the battery options, interchangeability, etc...

-‎A red light would be nice. If not, some manner of DIY ideas for filter, as well as a diffuser for the beam and flood modes, with tape and the likes are also very much welcome.

-Variable lighting would be nice.

-‎Overall balance, for being able to use in different activities, such as walking maybe running (jogging and maybe a little faster, not super fast), maybe cycling (not fast, not snail like either), or spotting neighbour's dogs a mile away trying to chase you and bite you, etc...

I live in the countryside and there's not a light in sight after 6 p.m. now. It is my first headlamp, I look as per suggested in other posts to get one I can learn an experiment with, as well as of course, and hopefully, use for a long time. I live in a scrub-land environment, so difficult to see ahead and find the path again if I traverse through the bush.

I recently purchased a Black Diamond Revolt 2017 model, and seemed to have some problem with the rechargeable batteries that came with it. For first time recharge cycle it is advised that it could take up to 12h. Problem was, the second time around also took as long as the first. I suspected it to be a problem with the batteries, rather than the headlamp, since I tried the headlamp with other batteries, and it worked without a problem. Also after charging the second time, when I turned it on, or only took about a minute to turn from green to orange in the battery indicator. The colours are green, more than 50% power; orange, 25-50% power; and red, less than 25% power.

So I very disappointedly, and hastily, returned it to Amazon.

Then, I contacted Black Diamond on Facebook and through email, to try and get some more information on the possible reasons for which it might have happened. Needless to say, I'm still in the process of communication with them, and yet to get some clarity or solution for the problem. Personally I feel it might have just been faulty batteries.

Regardless, I have read many posts on and off site regarding Black Diamond and their marketing or design practices. Even so, I'd like to hear from others what your view is on the situation, and ideas for other headlamps that meet the criteria, as well as ideas for DIY workarounds and such. Price is a somewhat of a restriction, I actually got the BD headlamp for 42 euros on Amazon (Spain), but I'm all ears to suggestions. Any comment would be appreciated. Thank you, and have a great day.
    Last edited by archimedes; 12-07-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: fixed font & color tags

Default Re: I'm looking for a compact, waterproof, economic, rechargeable headlamp

Hello Obi, and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved, but heavily edited to remove many different custom colors and fonts (which, by the way, were not even displaying properly)

Please use these ... s p a r i n g l y ...

Thank you.
    Last edited by archimedes; 12-07-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Lightbulb Re: I'm looking for a compact, waterproof, economic, rechargeable headlamp

I have never seen a rechargeable light that doesn't have a battery pack.

How about this, it checks most of your boxes:

NITECORE NU25 Headlamp
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...h-CRI-Headlamp
    Last edited by LeanBurn; 12-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Default Re: I'm looking for a compact, waterproof, economic, rechargeable headlamp

Hello Archimedes, thank you! I had no idea, I simply copied and pasted from my google keep app to the page, please tell me if it still shows up strange! Thanks!

Thank you LeanBurn, I appreciate your suggestion, I've already seen some of the fixed battery headlamps from Nitecore, didn't know they just brought another one out! Problem is...Once it runs out and you're out and about, you're in a hot mess, unless you connect a power bank to it but that would be very ''clunky'', and perhaps not really practical. Besides, one main draw back is, once the battery dies, you need to buy a new headlamp. I'm still stunned how some manufacturers consider this a viable saleable product. Also, as I mentioned IPX7 and up is a must for me, since I am know to drop stuff in unlikely places and situations, including water.
    On the other hand, I actually saw through the link you sent me the Nitecore thread in this website (I'm new....Well newish), and they're actually bringing out a new model, the HC65. That one actually looks interesting, although still not available. Plus I think there still must be many other options available to purchase now which are as good, if not better.
    Sorry if I didn't make it more clear about the battery, I meant rather that the battery (of whatever kind) is rechargeable, and that the headlamp unit itself might be versatile, as in accepting other kinds of batteries and all in all that the battery itself is rechargeable (whether through the headlamp or the battery itself directly).
    Thanks regardless, duly noted!

Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Thank you LeanBurn, I appreciate your suggestion, I've already seen some of the fixed battery headlamps from Nitecore, didn't know they just brought another one out! Problem is...Once it runs out and you're out and about, you're in a hot mess, unless you connect a power bank to it but that would be very ''clunky'', and perhaps not really practical. Besides, one main draw back is, once the battery dies, you need to buy a new headlamp. I'm still stunned how some manufacturers consider this a viable saleable product. Also, as I mentioned IPX7 and up is a must for me, since I am know to drop stuff in unlikely places and situations, including water.
    On the other hand, I actually saw through the link you sent me the Nitecore thread in this website (I'm new....Well newish), and they're actually bringing out a new model, the HC65. That one actually looks interesting, although still not available. Plus I think there still must be many other options available to purchase now which are as good, if not better.
    Sorry if I didn't make it more clear about the battery, I meant rather that the battery (of whatever kind) is rechargeable, and that the headlamp unit itself might be versatile, as in accepting other kinds of batteries and all in all that the battery itself is rechargeable (whether through the headlamp or the battery itself directly).
    Thanks regardless, duly noted!
    When I use a headlamp, I do what I do when I use any other light: I always have at least one or two other lights on my person.

Popping in batteries into a regular headlamp seems to me to be difficult to do in the dark.

If the crap ever did hit the fan and batteries were impossible to come by, I would use the WakaWaka Power to recharge the rechargeable headlamp while I used a backup light to finish the task at hand.

If possible, I think it's good to own each type.

Hello Obi, as far as I know, there is one fits your demands: IPX8 waterproof, rechargeable battery, compact and lightweight.

You can have a look: Fenix HM50R, hope it helps.

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMor...2#.WjIvrTS-uUk