Looking to improve illumination from hanging lights

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
I've recently moved into a cabin built in the 1980s where the main illumination for the high sloped ceiling living room comes from two very dim hanging lamps. Each of these contain two small candle shaped incandescent bulbs. The glass globes surrounding the bulbs are tinted as if they were attempting to minimize the amount of light given off. I'd like to greatly increase illumination in the room and am therefore seeking some sort of hanging LED lighting setup. I've seen units circular units in airports hanging from ceilings that looked promising but can't seem to find anything online to purchase that looks appropriate. It would be important that the light was dimmable as well.

The current lights tap into boxes ~ 11 feet high on the sloped ceiling.

Economics is of consideration as well.

Thanks for any ideas you might have. It's dark enough this time of year let alone living in a poorly illuminated cabin.

Hugh

15ob054.jpg
[/IMG]

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the base-type and wattage of the incandescent bulbs currently in place?

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
What is the base-type and wattage of the incandescent bulbs currently in place?

They're 40 watt incandescent bulbs. Between the age of my eyes and the size of the inscription I'm unable to discern the base designation if it's given.
28c0dwm.jpg
[/IMG]

One problem is that the globe that surrounds the two bulbs is tinted. I'd just as soon go with a whole new setup if I found something appropriate to hang.

Thanks for any ideas you might have,

Hugh

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would just replace the fixture with one that suits your needs. there are many to choose from and you can look at demo models at any big box hardware store.
Just make sure that the fixture can use dimmable bulbs OR if it's LED, that the fixture itself is of a dimmable design.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those may be candelabra bulbs. Those fixture were made to provide ambiance, not so much to light the place up. I'm with FRITZHID, the solution is to just replace the entire fixture with something a little stronger. There is a whole world of hanging lights available.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
You can look at replacing those with different and much brighter lights. A relatively cheap and bright option would be to buy the dimmable retrofit LED lights that look like can lights, but they are thin and can mount to your electrical box.

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
We went with two six LED bulb X 6 watt wagon spoke units and are thrilled with the illumination and appearance.

Thanks for all the input.

Hugh
pkR5QCM.jpg

Last edited:

angerdan

Enlightened
Economics is of consideration as well.
So with 6x6W=36W for ~1200lm halogen no consideration of energy efficiency.
LED Retrofits would generate 1536lm with 15W and last 10x longer.

Last edited:

angerdan

Enlightened
You're right, it's not clear which light technology has been choosen.
And manufacturer and model of lamp and light bulbs is unknown too.

SciGuy

Newly Enlightened
So with 6x6W=36W for ~1200lm halogen no consideration of energy efficiency.
LED Retrofits would generate 1536lm with 15W and last 10x longer.

They are LED bulbs. 6 X 550 = 3300lm for 36 watts so much better than halogen and they look of so cool dimmed down too.

[h=1]Antique LED Bulbs, 6W ST64 Dimmable Vintage Edison LED Bulbs, 60W Incandescent Equivalent, Squirrel Cage Filament with 360° Beam Angle, Soft Warm White 2700K, 550 Lumens, E26 Clear Glass , Pack of 6[/h]

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this. A great solution with good efficiency.

We did something similar years ago using FL lights at my father's house. (LEDs were just not ready for this application back then)