Looking for a (coat) pocketable power house

morse

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I hope you can help. I'm looking for a significant upgrade to my Zebralight SC600 MKI but I'm really struggling to find something that fits the bill. I love the beam of the SC600 (decent spot with wide spill) but need more throw with a brighter output to light up the rural environment where I live. I also have a Olight X7R which is fun but the pop can format isn't working for me and I need more useable throw.

The following characteristics are important to me:

• Online purchase - I'm UK based
  • Budget - around $300 but flexible
  • Size wise - I can certainly go bigger/longer than the SC600 but I find 4x 18650 too big
  • Multi-level with a turbo/burst to 5000-7000 lumens would be nice
  • Usable throw to 150-200m with decent spill (I know it's not a thrower but the X7R claims 300+m and in reality, I find it usable to about 100m)
  • Equally happy with a built-in rechargeable battery or 18650s but would like a built in charger (I love the USB-C on the X7R)
  • I would prefer premium off-the-shelf manufactures but would consider a custom build
  • Reasonable (3-5hrs) runtime on medium (around 1000 lumens) would be fine
  • Body mounted switch like the SC600
  • No need for strobe, SOS etc but a moonlight mode would be nice
  • IPX8 would be nice but not essential

I hope that's enough info and I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks, Adam.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Hi all,

I hope you can help. I'm looking for a significant upgrade to my Zebralight SC600 MKI but I'm really struggling to find something that fits the bill. I love the beam of the SC600 (decent spot with wide spill) but need more throw with a brighter output to light up the rural environment where I live. I also have a Olight X7R which is fun but the pop can format isn't working for me and I need more useable throw.

• Size wise - I can certainly go bigger/longer than the SC600 but I find 4x 18650 too big
  • Usable throw to 150-200m with decent spill (I know it's not a thrower but the X7R claims 300+m and in reality, I find it usable to about 100m)
  • Equally happy with a built-in rechargeable battery or 18650s but would like a built in charger (I love the USB-C on the X7R)
  • I would prefer premium off-the-shelf manufactures but would consider a custom build

Many thanks, Adam.

Emisar d4 is gonna fit the bill. They are $40 for nichia and $58 for xpl-hi. It's similar size to Zebralight sc600 series.

morse

Newly Enlightened
Emisar d4 is gonna fit the bill. They are $40 for nichia and $58 for xpl-hi. It's similar size to Zebralight sc600 series.

Many thanks for the interesting suggestion, I'd not seen that before and it looks like a possibility, especially at the price. My only concern is getting a usable throw at 200m with only 20kcd?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Maybe look at the D1 (or upcoming D1s) instead ....

And Vinh also (I think) makes some "hot-rodded" versions of these, by the way.

Last edited:

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Many thanks, Adam.

Hi Adam! I've been pining for something like the SC600, but with more throw since the day I first got one; 4/11/2011

For a while, I thought ZebraLight's S6330 was going to fill the bill back in 2012, but that had the same 80-degree spill and never materialized. [sigh]

Impatiently, I went off ZL's reservation and got an Olight SR52-UT Intimidator. It has three 18650's, 1100 lumens, and throws out to 800 meters. It's great for scanning the horizon while walking through rural areas.

But I'm still looking for something more pocketable too. Hopefully, Cree's recently announced XD16 emitter will bring more "throw" into the marketplace and a few vendors will dial-down the tired-and-true 80-degree spill paradigm to something like 60-degrees. YMMV

Fwiw, I still have my old Inova T5 and it spots exceptionally well. But that's an example of not enough spill. Total-Internal-Reflection (TIR) optics can be built for any beam-shot you can imagine, but vendors haven't done much with this either.

Hopefully; there will be more throw in the marketplace soon.

morse

Newly Enlightened
Maybe look at the D1 (or upcoming D1s) instead ....

And Vinh also (I think) makes some "hot-rodded" versions of these, by the way.

Excellent, many thanks. I may well order a D1S or even a a D1Svn. There are a couple of Vihn's lights that look like they may fit the bill :)

morse

Newly Enlightened
Hi Adam! I've been pining for something like the SC600, but with more throw since the day I first got one; 4/11/2011

For a while, I thought ZebraLight's S6330 was going to fill the bill back in 2012, but that had the same 80-degree spill and never materialized. [sigh]

Impatiently, I went off ZL's reservation and got an Olight SR52-UT Intimidator. It has three 18650's, 1100 lumens, and throws out to 800 meters. It's great for scanning the horizon while walking through rural areas.

But I'm still looking for something more pocketable too. Hopefully, Cree's recently announced XD16 emitter will bring more "throw" into the marketplace and a few vendors will dial-down the tired-and-true 80-degree spill paradigm to something like 60-degrees. YMMV

Fwiw, I still have my old Inova T5 and it spots exceptionally well. But that's an example of not enough spill. Total-Internal-Reflection (TIR) optics can be built for any beam-shot you can imagine, but vendors haven't done much with this either.

Hopefully; there will be more throw in the marketplace soon.

Many thanks for the reply. There does seem to be a bit of a gap in the mainstream market. The D1S looks like fun and seems to be a bargin but I do prefer protected cells. I'm a bit fan of Olight and I wish they'd do something like the R50 with more throw.

Fingers crossed for some developments...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It only does 1K lumens, but the Nitecore P30 would be ideal as a pocketable light with some serious throw. With a throw to 600m (according to the tests) with a nice tight beam when on Turbo or High, it also has a nice spill that lights up the near and middle without being so bright as to make it hard to see past it. It is a single 18650 light, which means a 1" body, but it has a deep 2" reflector which is what gives it its throw. It has the standard Nitecore side dual switch, but also has a rear clicky for off and on as well as tactical press. It won't fit well in a front pocket unless the pants are rather loose, but does great in its holster on a belt or in a coat or jacket pocket. For a while I was in a 'how far can I reach out and blast someone' mode, and if this light had been available then I wouldn't have had to buy my TM11, TM16, TM16GT, or EA45S. Best of all, it is only about $65 USD, and with the holiday season one should be able to find it cheaper than that.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
It only does 1K lumens, but the Nitecore P30 would be ideal as a pocketable light with some serious throw. With a throw to 600m (according to the tests) with a nice tight beam when on Turbo or High, it also has a nice spill that lights up the near and middle without being so bright as to make it hard to see past it. It is a single 18650 light, which means a 1" body, but it has a deep 2" reflector which is what gives it its throw. It has the standard Nitecore side dual switch, but also has a rear clicky for off and on as well as tactical press. It won't fit well in a front pocket unless the pants are rather loose, but does great in its holster on a belt or in a coat or jacket pocket. For a while I was in a 'how far can I reach out and blast someone' mode, and if this light had been available then I wouldn't have had to buy my TM11, TM16, TM16GT, or EA45S. Best of all, it is only about $65 USD, and with the holiday season one should be able to find it cheaper than that.

The Nitecore p30 is 95k lux Emisar D1s is 124k. If you the OP doesn't need that much throw the Astrolux S2 (60k lux)or the C8 (80k + lux) are good choices.