Selection Help? AA/14500 variable output

cypher2001

Newly Enlightened
Hey Folks-

Been a while since I upgraded my headlamp and I'm looking for the best of most worlds. My wish list seems to be a tough sell and I'm hoping some of the experts here can lend a hand. I'll be using this as a utility light for both car emergencies/camping/backpacking.

Single AA / 14500 support
Variable lumen support -- prefer a turbo mode with 400+ Lumen
Good mix of flood/spot

Optional but preferred

Separable from headband with clip (Multifunctional)
Warm white

Apologies... I know the information is here but I've given it a couple of hours and can't seem to find my perfect mix. Some of the Zebralights look promising, but no 14500 support. Thrunite TH20 looks descent but its non-removable light is somewhat limiting.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

ven

Flashaholic
Have a look at the sunwayman v11r, this has infinite control ring UI and with the extender, supports AA/14500 fuel.
Can be seen here on far left(without AA ext) so in 16340 form(mirage version)
fhv28lSl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Found an older pic with the extension, had to transfer from photobucket to imgur as bucket a pita!
ZCT23VYl.jpg

S5Wcqbdl.jpg

cypher2001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Perhaps I didn't qualify 100%. Looking for headlamp. Have lots of pocket lights but the need is for a headlamp. Am I missing a headlamp option on the sunwayman.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
My favorite light that fit this bill is my SRT3 by Nitecore. While the companies literature does not specifically state 14500, I've been using it that way for almost 2 yrs with no ill effect. I don't think the SRT3 is offered by nitecore anymore, but maybe you can find a used one. The beam pattern favors the floody side of the spectrum.

cypher2001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Are these headlamps or pocket lights? I looked to see if there was an headlamp adapter for the srt3 but can't locate.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Another available headlamp option is the Thrunite TH20 in neutral. Nice light, kinda like the Nitecore D10 function in a headlamp form. I use a off brand clip in its machined recess with good results. Great for attaching to a shirt pocket or shirt button placket.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek is sometimes compared to Zebralight. Perhaps not quite as refined, and more focused on ruggedness than light weight and compact size. I'm happy with my Armytek Tiara so far.

Is 14500 really a required feature even on a light that meets your desired performance without needing an 14500 like the H53?